Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Welcome Guest Author J M Stewart Today


Welcome to my Reading Nook,Joanne Stewart. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink.

Thank you for having me!

Comfortable? Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both? 

I don’t necessarily outline. I don’t actually do chapter by chapter and I don’t write anything down, but I do a combination of both. I used to be a “fly by the seat of my pants” girl all the way, but as my craft grew, so did my process. Nowadays, I need to know my premise, my characters’ GMC’s and at least what the opening scene will be.

What did you do before you were a writer? Do you write full time? 

Before I was a writer, I was a stay-at-home mom. I still, am actually, but my kids are teenagers now, which leaves me with the ability to write full time.

If you were going to cast the hero(s) of your book, what actor would get the part? 

Well, for The Playboy’s Baby, that’s a toughie. Dillon is a big boy. I think Joe Manganiello would get the part. He’s big enough, and he just happens to look about how I see Dillon. He’d have to shave, though. ;)

I know you're not supposed to show favoritism but who's been your favorite character to write? 

Of my published novels? Alex McKinley from my upcoming novel, A Second Chance at Forever, is a favorite of mine. He touched my heart. Alex is a wounded hero. In the book, his life has been struck by tragedy. He’s a strong, confident lawyer who’s suddenly had the rug swept out from beneath him, and he feels very out of place in the world. He doesn’t quite know what to do with himself. He meets the heroine at the point in his life where he’s trying to pick up the pieces and move on with his life, but he isn’t quite sure how to go about it. He also carries around a lot of survivor’s guilt. He isn’t sure he deserves to be happy, but here’s this woman makes him feel like he’s stepping into the sunshine for the first time in his life. 

But all around, out of the books I’ve written? That would the hero of my latest work-in-progress, Colt Taylor. This book is currently being cleaned up to send to my agent. It’s my first long book (over 70k) and hopefully, it’ll find a home next year. Colt is a retired Army vet. He’s another wounded hero. He has a heart of gold, the kind of guy who does things for others just because it’s the right thing to do. His story is on the dark side. He had a very dark, painful past that still haunts him. He comes from a very abusive home. Growing up, he chose to put himself in the line of fire to protect his mother and his little brother from their father’s abuse. He’s the one character who’s the closest to my heart. I enjoyed watching him grow.

Do you have a favorite TV show you can't miss? 

Falling Skies is a new favorite. Also Bones and Supernatural.

If you could date any character from any book, who would it be and why-no it doesn't have to be from your books?

Well, I’m married, so this kind of rules me out for actual dating. ;) But I’d love to spend the day with Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander. He was such a larger than life hero. That book was told in the first person from the heroine’s point of view, yet Jamie’s character came to life. I would love to spend a few hours with him, listening to whatever tales he chose to share with me. Then again, I also wouldn’t mind going back in time to that era (early 1700’s if I remember correctly) and visiting. Just to get to see it and experience it. I know it’s romanticized in books, but it still fascinates me. To watch how people lived back then.

Please share with us some juicy details about your latest release. 

-- Dillon’s had his heart broken more than once by women who were only after his money. In college, he decided if you can’t beat him, join ‘em. It’s earned him a well-deserved reputation as a playboy. One he regrets now that he’s older.

He’s determined to be a good father to his daughter, and to show Emma that he’s not that irresponsible, cocky kid anymore. The problem is, he’s never dealt with kids before, let alone a baby. He’s completely clueless. He needs Emma to show him the ropes.

-- Emma doesn’t live in town. She lives (and works) an hour and a half away, in the nearest big city. When she’s back, Dillon insists that she and little Annie stay with him.

--Until they figure out how to share custody of Annie, Emma will have to commute. She’ll go to work during the week, and come back to town on the weekends. But Dillon doesn’t want to see his daughter only two days a week, and insists that Emma leave the baby with him when she has to go to work.

Emma’s afraid of leaving Annie. Without her, she feels alone. Dillon wants a chance to get to know his daughter. So they make a bet. Dillon has to take care of his daughter to Emma’s satisfaction. The prize? A kiss. ;)

What was your inspiration behind this book? 

Well, I can’t say for certain. I originally started this book over seven or eight years ago. I hit a bit of a road bump in my writing and took a six year hiatus. I had about three chapters completed when I stopped writing.

BUT…up until I published two years ago, category was almost all I read. I do recall this was my twist on the secret baby theme. I tossed in a wealthy hero on top of it. I believe the heroine, Emma, introduced herself to me first. She told me she’d been left in charge of her niece, and he was the father, and he had a right to know. My imagination took it from there.

What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for? 

Oh, my TBR pile is tipping over. There are so many on there I think it’ll take me until the end of time to read them all. lol I’m currently reading Those Violet Eyes by fellow Wild Rose Press author Vonnie Davis. Paula Martin’s Changing the Future, Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye, Chancing Faith by Empi Baryeh. I’ve also heard that J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series is really good. Just to name a few.

Do you listen to music while you write? If so what are your favorites Artists and or albums?

Sometimes. It depends on my mood. I love listening to music, but some days the music is too distracting. I find myself bebopping instead of writing. lol But I love Adele, Linkin’ Park, Christina Perri, Daughtry, Evanescence. But yeah, sometimes when I want to shut out everything and concentrate on my writing, I’ll put earplugs in and listen. I also use the music as inspiration. There’s usually also one or two songs that remind me of my current work-in-progress, so if I get stuck, I’ll often listen to the song.

If you could go any place in the world and to any time period, what place time would you choose to visit?

Hmm. I do love a good regency. I’d love to visit London in the 17 and 1800’s. Also to a time period where they lived in stone castles. Forgive. I’m not a history buff, so I can’t recall what time period that would actually be or what part of the world. I do recall Outlander was set somewhere around the 16 or 1700’s and in Scotland, and they lived castles. I’m rambling. lol really, I would love to observe castle life. the way they lived, how they lived. It fascinates me.

Present time, though? I’d love to travel the world. Greece, Italy, England, Scotland. Sometime before I die I want to see Hawaii.

What is your favorite super power and why do you want it?

I have to choose just one?! Sigh. ;) Actually, being bulletproof would be kind of cool. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about getting hurt. You could just brush yourself off and get back up. Some holds you up with a gun and tries to steal your purse, you’d be like, “Go ahead. Make my day.” lol

If you could write a warning label for yourself as a person or an author, what would it say? 

As an author: Warning—stories that will touch your heart, heroes who will make you swoon, and passion that will steam up your e-reader. ;)  

Do you have any guilty pleasures? 

Gourmet coffee and chocolate brownies (the gooier the better).

Thanks for taking the time to be here today. I wish you many sales and wonderful reviews.

Thanks for having me! I had fun!


Blurb:

They can't forget the past, but is it enough to create a future?

When an accident leaves her guardian to her six-month-old niece, Emma Stanton must return to her small hometown of Hastings, Montana to find the one man she's spent the last eight years trying to forget. She and Dillon had grown up together--he was her sister's best friend. But that hadn't stopped him from sharing a kiss with Emma that had followed her through the years. Now, not only must she break the news of her sister's tragic death to Dillon, but she must risk the only family she has left and tell him he's the baby's father.

Wealthy nightclub owner Dillon James has been used for his name and money one too many times, so when he comes face-to-face with Emma Stanton and her gorgeous lips, he's determined to keep things light. All he wants is to be the father his daughter needs, to make up for not being there for her and her mother. But spending time with Emma, as she shows him the ropes of caring for his daughter, is wearing down his defenses. Perhaps it's time he took a chance on love.

If only he can convince Emma to take a chance on him...


Excerpt:

He shook himself, turning and setting his cup on the counter. He held his hand out, palm up, watching her with soft, penetrating eyes, deep, dark eyes that called to her the longer she stared at them. “How ’bout you give me the benefit of the doubt every once in a while, hmm? I’d like a chance to prove I’m not that stupid kid anymore.”
“Deal.” Emma slipped her hand into his, told herself it was merely a gesture of friendship, of trust, but she couldn’t ignore the tingle that ran clean to her toes.
“That’s all a man could ask for.” He released her hand and smiled. This one was more in his eyes than on his mouth. The longer she stared, the more that magnetic pull spawned between them, until the world narrowed down to those dark eyes and the soft heat that reflected back at her.
Emma couldn’t be sure who moved, but she blinked and Dillon was closer than he’d been. His hands settled on her waist. His pelvis brushed her stomach and the warmth of his skin seeped into hers. Heat rolled through her belly. The desire to lean up and seize his lips became near overwhelming, until she actually leaned into him.
Barely catching herself, she reached out and braced a hand against his chest, but the feel of his skin caught her, warm and smooth beneath her fingers. She had the sudden urge to wrap herself up in it.
“You really should go get dressed.” The words left her mouth far weaker than she intended, on a breathy whisper that surely gave away her thoughts.
One hand slid over hers and held it against his chest, his thumb sweeping her knuckles. It was a subtle touch that combined with the closeness to torment her. She could well imagine those thick fingers stroking other parts of her body…
Buy Links:


Author website:


3 comments:

Sextant said...

I have read Stewart's first two books and both were excellent. She does wonderful characterizations and her love scenes are hot but not vulgar.

I am currently reading her new book A Second Chance At Forever, sizzling! Great spice and again she demonstrates her strength at character development.

Joanne Stewart said...

Thanks, Sextant. I appreciate you coming by to say that. <3

Joanne Stewart said...

Thanks for having me, Dawn!

New Book Review: The Best Life Book Club by Sheila Roberts

  The Best Life Book Club Sheila Roberts Mira Books Release date: May 7th, 2024 Available at Amazon Add to Your Goodreads My Rating for The ...