Saturday, November 7, 2020

Book Spotlight/Guest Author Day: Now I See You

 


Please give a warm welcome to author Shannon Work as they drop by the Reading Nook to celebrate their new book, Now I See You. Let's chat with the author on Now I See You and see what's up with Shannon Work.

Can you, for those who don't know you already, tell something about yourself and how you became an author?

Most people don’t know I was a real estate developer before I was an author. One of my residential developments won a Best in America Living Award. I started and abandoned two novels over the years while I was still working and raising three children. I retired a couple years ago and decided it was now or never on writing a novel. While I was writing Now I See You, I kept what I was doing a secret from my family. I finally told my husband I was writing again when I was about half way finished with the first draft. I didn’t tell my children until I was finished. They were very surprised!

 

What is something unique/quirky about you?

I am an Agatha Christie fanatic. In fact, I held off publishing Now I See You so that I could publish it on September 15th, Agatha Christie’s birthday. I love that my first novel was published on her birthday! I have read Christie’s autobiography, several of her biographies, and many many of her books.

 

What are some of your pet peeves?

Probably my biggest pet peeve as a reader is when an author will change character points of view within the same scene. It stops me dead on the page—a huge distraction.

 

Where were you born/grew up at?

I grew up in Del Rio, Texas, on the US-Mexico border. My family has ranched the country around Del Rio since the 1880’s. I’m a seventh generation Texan, my family came here in 1832 when Texas was still a part of Mexico. Y si, hablo espanol!

 

If you knew you'd die tomorrow, how would you spend your last day?

I would spend it with my family. (And I’d probably eat lots and lots of  strawberry Twizzlers!)

 

Who is your hero and why?

I have two author heroes—Agatha Christie and Mary Higgins Clark. Both overcame personal hardship, pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and succeeded beyond most people’s wildest dreams. At the same time, they were kind and generous people with family and friends who loved them.

 

What are you passionate about these days?

Animal rescue. There are so so many animals currently in shelters that need their furever homes. My heart breaks for them all. #AdoptDontShop

 

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Read! And go to the movies.

 

How to find time to write as a parent?

Just recently, my husband and I became empty nesters. Since I kept writing a secret, while our youngest was still living at home, I wrote Now I See You when he was in school. When he would get home, I would quietly close my laptop and pretend I hadn’t been working on anything important.

 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I probably first considered myself a writer after I published Now I See You and started getting positive feedback from strangers. Of course my family and friends were going to say they loved it, but when I started getting 4 and 5 star reviews from total strangers, then I finally thought I had a little street cred.

 

Do you have a favorite movie?

I have lots of favorite movies. At the top of my list are Gone With the Wind, The Godfather, Tombstone, The Patriot, and American President. I know, my taste is eclectic!

 

What literary pilgrimages have you gone on?

I once spent six hours in the library at the University of South Carolina studying John Jake’s working papers that are archived there. John Jakes wrote historical fiction and is still one of my favorite authors.


Now I See You
Mountain Resort Mystery Series Book 1
by Shannon Work
Genre: Mystery

Two murders. A terrified mountain resort. Can a daring reporter help stop an avalanche of dead bodies?
Celebrity TV anchor Georgia Glass wants out of Denver and far away from her obsessed fan. Set to host her own investigative crime show in LA, she’s surprised to inherit a Victorian house in Aspen from a mysterious uncle she never knew. But while exploring the gothic property, she discovers the frozen corpse of a missing heiress.
Georgia’s journalist instincts kick in and she is determined to help police track down the killer. But by investigating the murder, has she made herself the killer’s next target?
Can Georgia help solve the case before she becomes the next victim? Or will the stalker that followed her to Aspen get her first?
Now I See You is a fast-paced whodunit set amidst the spectacular scenery of Aspen, Colorado, and the first book in the suspenseful Mountain Resort Mystery series.





Shannon Work grew up in Del Rio, a border town in the dusty wilds of West Texas. When she graduated from high school, she moved east to College Station and graduated from Texas A&M University with a bachelor's degree in Journalism and a master's degree in Land Economics and Real Estate.
Most of her working life has been spent developing real estate, earning a national Best in America Living Award for one of her developments. After two failed starts at writing a novel while raising three kids and working, she retired to pursue her dream of writing mystery novels full time.
Shannon and her husband are recent empty nesters and split their time between Houston, Texas and Telluride, Colorado. Always with their laptops and dogs in tow.



Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!

$50 Amazon 







1 comment:

Shannon Work said...

Thank you for including Now I See You on the blog today!

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...