Monday, February 23, 2015

Welcome Amelia Swan today

Please give a warm welcome to author Amelia Swan who drops in to chat with me.

What started your interest in writing?

I started getting interested in writing when my 8th grade English teacher had us write short stories for class. But, even before that, I used to write plays for my friends to perform.

What is your book(s) about?

My current release is a new adult romance called Drawn Together. The main character, Hailey, returns to her hometown of Medford after living in New York City for four years while attending college. While she isn’t thrilled to be back in the small town, she is psyched about running into her high school crush in the coffee shop. The story follows the evolution of their relationship, as they go from high school friends to lovers. Ultimately, Hailey wants to return to New York, but she isn’t sure she can leave Cody behind.

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on the follow-up to Drawn Together. It’ll explore the next stage in Hailey and Cody’s relationship. I’m also working with my editors at Breathless Press on the final edits of Wrestling With Summer, a contemporary romance that will be released this spring.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I like to practice yoga, work out, and walk my dog in my free time. I’m a vegan and super picky about what I eat, so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen too.

Are any of your characters like you?
All of my female leads and I always share a few things in common. I think it makes it easier for me to write from their perspective. 

What genres do you write in?

I write contemporary, erotic, and new adult romance.


I’m always looking for book recommendations. What books have you been reading? Would you recommend them?

I love, love Jessica Sorenson. I can’t get enough of her work. I’ve also been reading a lot of Penelope Ward and Collen Hoover. I’ve been on a new adult romance kick for a while now.

What do readers have to look forward to in the future from you?

I have a full-length contemporary romance coming out this spring. It’s called Wrestling With Summer, and it follows the daughter of a washed professional wrestler as she struggles with the feelings she has for a young, up-and-coming wrestler. The second installment of my erotic romance short story series will be released later this year. The first story, “For Dylan,” what happens when Claire’s bisexual husband invites another man into their bedroom. The second story, “For Claire,” takes a look at what happens when the relationship between the three of them starts to grow into something more.


When and where do you like to write? Are there any favourite places you like to go?

I do just about all of my writing on my couch. Sometimes I’ll jot things down in a notebook if I’m waiting to get the oil in my car to get changed or something like that.


How do you like to relax after a day writing?

I end every day watching TV with my husband or reading. Usually it’s a little bit of both.


Drawn Together
Genre: New adult romance 
Publisher: Hearts Desire Press

Blurb:  Hailey can't wait to get back to New York City. There she's a hip children's book author with a healthy social life. Being back in her hometown of Medford only reminds her of the less-than-cool girl she used to be.  Until she runs into Cody, her old partner-in-crime in high school art and the boy she lusted after all four years.
Cody West has everything he could want in Medford, except Hailey. When she left for the big city, there was a hold in his life no other girl could fill. But he's not sure he wants to open himself to the pain if she leaves again.
A chance encounter at the town coffee shop reignites the chemistry between the pair and is almost enough to make Hailey forget how much she wants to return to the city she's grown to love. Almost. Wanting it all, Hailey plans to bring Cody back to New York with her. The only catch is that she's not sure he'll agree...

Excerpt: I looked up from my netbook screen and there he was: Cody West. The boy I’d lusted after throughout high school. The boy who’d changed my life and didn’t even know it.
He’d grown up since I last saw him at Jessica Mitchell’s graduation party. His sandy hair still cascaded down his forehead, but it no longer perpetually hung down over his big brown eyes. Four years of high school football had kept Cody in shape back when I knew him, but four years of college football had added a little bit of bulk to his lean frame. At least, I assumed he played in college. I knew that he headed off to Temple with a sports scholarship.
Rocking back onto his heels, Cody scanned the glass pastry case, probably looking for something sweet to accompany his coffee. He tossed his hair to the side as he inspected the contents of the case. He always liked sweets. He and I used to pass bags of candy back and forth while Mrs. Cole, our art teacher, wasn't looking. After taking a sip of my cappuccino, I smiled at the memory, glad for the first time that I was back in Medford.
Having forgotten about the work waiting for me on my netbook, I watched Cody unabashedly, wishing I could've heard whatever he said to make the barista blush as she held her hand up to her mouth and giggled. He dug into the pockets of his khaki cargo shorts for some cash, playfully pulling it away from the barista before dropping it into her hand. She giggled some more, probably glad that she and Cody had crossed paths that afternoon. I knew that I was certainly glad to see him.
He finally spotted me, tucked away in a quiet corner of the coffeehouse. As soon as recognition set in, the corners of his mouth curled into a relaxed smile, a smile that caused a swarm of butterflies to thrash around inside my stomach. Man, he looked good. Wiggling my fingers, I waved a flirty hello at my old friend. His brown eyes narrowed as his smile increased—a sign that he was just as glad to see me as I was to see him.
Cody held up his index finger to indicate that he’d come over shortly, then peered over the counter to check the barista’s progress on his order, the muscles in his calves flexing as he shifted his weight onto his toes.
He was definitely much stronger than the boy I spent my last night in town with.

Buy link:
http://www.amazon.com/Drawn-Together-Amelia-Swan-ebook/dp/B00TGBU3M4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1423676782&sr=1-1


Bio and links:

Amelia Swan writes contemporary, erotic, and new adult romance. She’s interested in characters that are smart, sincere, and somewhat artistically inclined. She and her husband currently reside in Northern New Jersey with their cat and dog. In addition to romance novels, Amelia is interested in yoga, fitness, veganism, and professional wrestling.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me, Dawn!

-Amelia

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...