Monday, May 20, 2013

Guest Author Day with Susie Medwell


Welcome to my Reading Nook, Susie Medwell. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink.

Comfortable? Very! Thanks for inviting me over Dawn J

Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

Tell us about your favorite character from your books.
I love Ben from ‘Text me, Tweet me Need me’. For a start he’s gorgeous (always an advantage), he listens (I love that in a man), is fun to be around, sticks to his word and has just that right amount of possessiveness making a girl feel wanted but not smothered.

Tell us about your current/upcoming release. What inspired this story?
I like writing ‘up to the minute’ contemporary stories about characters with lives we can relate to, so the idea of basing a story around social networking and the press was unavoidable! ‘Text me, Tweet me, Need me’ is about two people who meet online and find each other irresistible, but both have secrets that could destroy everything.


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I have a day job working part of the morning and part of the afternoon so I have to fit writing around that. Mid-afternoon seems to be my most productive time, then I have to cut it short and run (literally!) to work. I usually have lots more ideas whilst I’m at work and so the second I’m in the door I pick my laptop up again – my poor son has to put up with some late dinners.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
Finding time to write! I find it so frustrating when the words are flowing and I have to stop.

What does your family think of your writing career?
They’re proud, but refuse to read my naughtier (Zara Stoneley) books – ‘Text me’ is a book I can let my mother read!

What do you think makes a good story?
Realism with a hint of escapism. I read to get away from everyday trivia, but I have to believe that the characters, and events, could happen.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
A mix! I plot – but not rigidly, so I suppose I’m a plotter with a bit of pantser thrown in. I have character descriptions and an overall plan with the main plot points (turning points, black moment), then I plan in detail the first quarter – what happens and how the characters grow – when I’ve written those chapters I plan out the next quarter in detail. The story tends to evolve as I write, so I never do a full detailed plan at the start. I need goals to work towards so having a rough plan helps me.


How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
It all starts with a ‘what if’, then I look at the characters and their goals, motivations and conflicts. I need to know what is the worst things that could happen to them and why, and then I look at their strengths and how they can use them to overcome their fears. I then decide where the story should start (a turning point) and how it will end. I’ve got an outline sheet based very loosely on Blake Snyder's Beat Sheet from ‘Save the Cat’ which I use to help with pacing. I know this type of planning would drive some writers mad – but it helps me, especially when I hit a sticky patch!

What book are you reading now? Any favorite authors/books you want to do a shout out for? I’ve just finished a Jackie Collins book – the first I’ve read for years, which was great holiday reading. I read all kinds of books, but would hate to single anyone out in particular.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
Walk, horse-ride, cook or play guitar with my other half.

Morning Person or Night Person? 
Night. I am not at my best first thing in the morning (Mrs Grumpy) and it takes an hour and several cups of coffee before I get going properly.

Coffee, tea or other drink to get you moving in the morning? Coffee – lots of coffee, I can’t do mornings without it!

What is coming up from you in 2013? Anything you want to tease us with?
I’ve got several project on the go at the moment. I write erotic romance under the pen-name Zara Stoneley and I’ve got another book in the Good Enough series due out later this year. My next Susie Medwell title has a sexy geek girl and a playboy in it – more news on that one in a few months’ time. 

Anything else you want to add? 

Blurb - TEXT ME, TWEET ME, NEED ME - Published by Lyrical Press, April 2013
A contemporary romance novella

Texting and tweeting can lead to trouble when the truth gets out…

Dating your boss is bad. Finding out he’s married with a baby on the way is a whole lot worse, but losing your job when you show him the door really sucks. And when he knows all your family secrets, there’s bound to be trouble. But the job Samantha’s got lined up can put her life back on track. One last date for research purposes before she can finish her article on online dating--then she’s a man-free zone, and it’s serious journalism all the way.
Ben has only one thing on his mind: to keep the promise he made to look after Sam. All he has to do is work out how he can support a girl who distrusts men, hates charity, and definitely doesn’t want rescuing. He thinks he’s come up with the perfect solution, until he realizes it’s his heart, not his money he needs to invest.

But can Sam see past the lies and learn to trust a man again? And more importantly...will Ben still want her when he learns about her past?

CONTENT WARNING: Contains hot texts, sexy showers, a girl who can pack a punch, and lasagne.

Available from - Lyrical Press, Amazon (UK), Amazon (COM), Barnes & Noble, iTunes

Excerpt –
Copyright 2012, Susie Medwell
All rights reserved, Lyrical Press, Inc.

“Sam.” He reached out to unbutton her top, but she stopped him. She had to do this herself; it had to be her choice. He slowly stripped the rest of his clothes off, flicked the jet of water on. Not saying anything.
She could stop now. Ignore him and walk away. Or she could join him, in his shower, next to his office with his perfect secretary still typing away on the other side of the wall.
He stepped in. She couldn’t help herself, she walked over and her gaze locked onto his back; broad shoulders and perfect slim hips. Perfect toned ass. As she’d known it would be.
He stood perfectly still, his face raised to let the water stream over it. His eyes closed, only his erection betraying his awareness of her.
Her hands shook as she unbuttoned her jacket and her skirt slipped on to the floor, her gaze never leaving him. Then it was his turn, a tremble running through him as she put her hands against his back...

Find out more at www.susiemedwell.com

No comments:

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...