Friday, May 4, 2012

Welcome Annette Snyder today


Perseverance is the Key-Annette Snyder—Novelist

I knew I was a writer the day I woke up with a story idea in my head, wrote it down and it worked.  I was surprised that I actually wrote an entire book.  The fact that I’ve now written so many different stories, and the ideas keep coming, still is a shocker.

I want to tell anyone who ever thought of writing a book or memoir to just do it.  The magic formula is that there is no magic formula.   Write because it comes to you and if it amounts to more, great.  If you have questions, most everyone in the writing world is willing to help or knows someone who can.

The hardest thing for me to learn was curbing my point of view switches.  I’m always trying to control which character is doing what and when.  I had a great editor who showed me how to fix head hopping and now I can control it at least a little.  My problem is really that my brain works faster than my fingers.   

Because I’m a writer, I do all that writing stuff plus promo and keeping up with the writing world plus work a real job.  I don’t have as much time to read as I’d like.  I save my reading days for my vacations.  If I wasn’t an author, I’d be doing laundry and dishes—maybe dusting—scratch that, never dusting. Here’s a hint, if you don’t move anything, you never have to dust because you can’t tell the furniture is dusty.  


If you’re into Historicals, you might want to pick up something from my WWII Viveka’s War Series. This line begins during the Depression years with two friends and follows the decisions they make while growing to adulthood starting with the first books Viveka’s War and Eureka Springs.  My third novel in this series, releasing this month, is Respectable Affair.  This particular book clues readers into where the story began.  I got the idea from a reviewer of Eureka Springs who wrote, “Who is Virginia Seidle and why was she single?” That’s when Virgie started talking and the third in the series was born.

Here’s the blurb for Respectable Affair:

Broken promises affect everyone.
A relationship with an unsavory criminal was only the beginning of Virginia Seidle’s terrible run with men. 
Would her life always be shadowed by previous mistakes?
Would a career change turn bad luck around or was this boss just another man to avoid?
As a husband, Nolan promised to love in sickness and health. 
As a father, his mission is to protect his son.
An affair?  What woman deserved the backyard gossip that surrounded a secret relationship?
A pact of friendship and a secret love—was that all Virgie and Nolan had? 
Was protecting the future of a boy and a madwoman the most important?
Can two people in love sacrifice everything to keep an affair respectable for the sake of family?


Excerpt for Respectable Affair:
            Was Truman right?  Was Frank Walters the person who robbed Main Street Liquor?  To Virginia, it just didn’t seem possible.  Frank was with her all night or at least until a few hours after the basketball game at the high school. 
            “Let’s go meet up with Hank and Pete.”
            That’s what he proposed when they discussed the post game party with Frank’s friends in the country and Virgie declined.  It was, after all, a school night and she had to study for her senior finals.  “Don’t you have to look for a job?” she asked.
            “Sure, but I got it covered.”  He leaned over and kissed her hard on the mouth before turning back to the steering wheel.  “See you tomorrow.” 
            Virgie had no reason to doubt that Frank was going to the party to drink beer because that’s where he said he’d be.  Why would Truman say Frank robbed the store when Frank was probably hanging out with his buddies?          
            “Virgie,” Truman whispered, “I was outside the store talking on the pay phone.  I saw him there.  Where do you think he got the beer in the first place?  He isn’t old enough to buy and he doesn’t have any money.”
              Sibling disagreements weren’t anything new between Virgie and her older brother but they’d become far more frequent since Virgie started dating Frank Walters.  With this latest bit of obvious gossip, Truman annoyed Virgie even more.  She squinted and felt the muscles in her jaw tense.  Truman stood at the foot of her bed and she slammed her book shut wanting to throw it at him.  “Isn’t it dark out?  You probably couldn’t see.  I say it was a case of mistaken identity.  I know you don’t like Frank, but this, making stuff up like this, that’s really a low blow.”
            “I don’t like Frank because he’s using you.  He quit school.  He doesn’t work.  His friends are no accounts. He takes you for granted and I know you give him money, and whatever else, whenever he wants it.”
            Virgie picked up her bed pillow and threw it at him.  “Shut up!  You don’t know what you’re talking about!”  She didn’t care if her parents woke up and heard them fighting.  When the truth came out, Truman would have to apologize.   “Besides, if I’m giving him money, why would he have to rob a liquor store?  And one more thing!  Frank and I love each other.  What do you have to say about that?”
            Truman turned to open the door.  “I’d say that tomorrow he’ll be in jail and you won’t have to worry about it anymore.  Let’s just hope dad and mom don’t find out that you were with him tonight or you’ll be in deep trouble.”
            “It isn’t going to matter.  You’re wrong about Frank and they won’t care.  You’ll see.”  She was surprised he closed the door instead of slamming it.  If she were in his shoes, she’d slam it so hard his eardrums would burst. 

Use this link to purchase Respectable Affair, my latest historical romance, or any of my work:


You can find more information on my website, http://annettesnyder.atspace.com or www.whiskeycreekpress.com   My work is also available online and in several stores throughout Nebraska--listed on my website and blog. Visit my blog http://annettesnyder.blogspot.com for the most current appearances and contests plus learn about authors from all over the USA.

Annette’s Bio:
 I call a small town in the heart of the Midwest, habitat of cornfields and combines, my home.  In an old house, with my husband and two dogs, I sit and write. 
My four grown children visit often and the grandkids cause beautiful havoc. 
All my life, I paid attention to things around me, stories from my parents, friends, grandparents and great-grandparents and one day I compiled those stories together and wrote a book.  It was that one book that started a wave of ideas and the story characters just keep pestering me so I continue to write all the time, work when necessary and vacation as much as possible. 


9 comments:

Annette Snyder said...

Thanks, Dawn, for giving me space to brag about Respectable Affair which releases May 15th! More about this book and all my others at my website...and, incidentally, I'm on vacation right now--the Disney World where I paint three rooms in my upstairs--moving furniture is much like that teacup ride!

jrlindermuth said...

Annette offers the key for those who dream of writing: Just do it! Believe in yourself and persevere. Her output is proof the system works.
Congrats on the new release, Annette.

Unknown said...

Congrats Annette!! It looks like a real winner! I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Allison Knight said...

Sounds really good. I had to smile at your head hopping comments. That's one's a hard lesson to learn. I still have to watch if I switch. It's so easy to do.

Susan Whitfield said...

Sound advice about writing and dust.lol. Annette, thanks for hosting so many of us on your own blog. It's great to see you over on Dawn's as well. Continued success to you both.
susanwhitfieldonline.com
susanwhitfield.blogspot.com

Juliana said...

Thanks for this post very interesting!
OceanAkers(at)aol(dot)com

Heidiwriter said...

Congratulations, Annette! Good job.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Ah, so you were born with the Writer DNA. LOL There is so much more for writers to do today. Promo can be so time consuming but who would know you were out there unless you let them know.
I love the WWII time period. Not many write in the era right now but it's so rich in language, music, movies and change.
I wish you great sales with your new book, Annette. The cover is beautiful.

Marianne Stephens said...

Oh, yes...head hopping can drive you crazy. I have so much I want to type, I sometimes get carried away and forget whose head I'm in! Writers want so much to say everything their characters need to say/think...but sometimes we forget "who" we are as we write.

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: On the Threshold

  Check out this New To Me Author, M. Laszlo's new book, On the Threshold, today. Make sure to check out the tour wide giveaway as well ...