Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Talking with DC Juris

Please give a warm welcome to one of favorite authors and friend, DC Juris.

Welcome to Dawn’s Reading Nook, DC Juris.  Please let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink and make yourself at home. Comfortable? Great…now let’s get down to business.

So tell us about yourself. What got you interested in writing? Who are your publisher(s)? Thanks for having me! I'm DC Juris, and I write GLBTQ and heater romance. I'm published with Breathless Press, Fanny Press, Torquere Press, Noble Romance, MLR Press, and Ravenous Romance.

How did you start your writing career? I've been writing since before kindergarten. I first started seriously pursuing publication in 2007, and by 2009 I had two stories picked up.

Tell us about your favorite character from your books. My favorite changes with my mood. Probably right now it's Vincent from "Finding Sanctuary", because he's so very flawed.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why? I despise travel. If GayRomLit wasn't annual, I'd never leave NY State.

Tell us about your current/upcoming release. What inspired it? My latest release is a fantasy m/m titled "Betrayed." It actually started out as a m/f, then an m/m/f, then an m/f/m, before it morphed into what it was supposed to be.

Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career? In the early days I got a lot of handholding from Aleksandr Voinov and Raev Gray.

Who are some of your favorite authors/books? I don't talk about my favorite m/m authors (the list is shorter than one would assume) but my favorite mainstream authors are HG Wells and Richard Knaak.

What was your first sale as an author? "Even Guys Cry" in the "I Do, Two" anthology.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day? I have a 60+ hour a week Evil Day Job, so I snatch time anywhere I can, any time I can.
If you could visit any time and place, where and when would it be and why? No where. It's that aforementioned hatred of travel.
If you could be any shape shifter, what form would you take and why? Probably a bird. Ease of travel and the views!
What else would you like readers to know about you or your work? That I appreciate their support and them holding on for the ride as I get better and hone my talent. And that 2012 is going to be spectacular. At least if I have my way. ::grins::
Who's more fun to write: bad boys or perfect gentlemen and why? Oh, they're both fun! They each have their uses. ::arches eyebrow::

If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be and what would you do together? Ghislain from "Blood Run Cold" by Aleksandr Voinov and Raev Gray. Why? Well, first so I could slap the living shit out of him for that one incident, then so I could discuss our mutual interests. ::wink:: And of course I'd f*ck him. 


Out of all your books, do you have a favorite one? If not, then which one is closest to your heart? I don't have a favorite per se, but "Betrayed" is probably the closest to my heart, simply because I've been with these characters for over 17 years.

What character out of all your books is the closest to your personality? Probably my transgender character Derek, for obvious reasons.

Anything else you would like to add? Just thanks for having me and thank you to my readers for their continued support!


Betrayed by DC Juris
Available from Breathless Press

Two years after he lost his soul mate to the war, Faldor still pines for Meldrick. His world is turned upside down when Meldrick appears on his doorstep late one night, seemingly back from the dead. Finally escaped from a prison camp, Meldrick protects a dark secret—one that could rip their rekindled love apart if Faldor ever learned the truth. But the longer they're together, the more questions come up. What really happened two years ago? How did Meldrick escape the prison camp after so long? Is Meldrick still the man Faldor fell in love with? Can Meldrick reconcile who he is with who he was and move beyond his treachery, or will betrayal win?

Genre: Fantasy m/m, BDSM, contains non-con

Buy Link: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-betrayed-669002-144.html

Excerpt:

The scent of food wafting on the wind roused him. Not the screams and pleadings for mercy from the men to his right and left, not the shouts and crude insults from the guards, not the plat-plat of the rain, not the tink-clink of the tiny bits of hail. Those were all commonplace. But the smell of cooking food, so close to his cage? Now, that was new. That was downright abnormal.

Meldrick opened his eyes slowly, blinked away the bleariness, and tried to focus. Though he'd just as well have stayed asleep; he'd been dreaming of home. Of Faldor. Not a total loss, he mused to himself, eyeing the approaching guard, who carried a platter of some sort of meat. The guard stopped at his door and kicked out, splashing him with filthy water, mud, and who knew what else. Meldrick raised a hand to fend off the muck, but the effort was useless. He wiped it away from his face as best he could and looked up at the guard.

The guard sneered at him and slung the food between the cage bars. It landed at Meldrick's feet with a wet plop. Though his mind told him the meat was likely rotten, his guts twisted and gurgled in noisy anticipation. He wasn't about to pass up the first meal he'd had all week, regardless of the state of it.

"Eat up," the guard instructed. "General wants you full of energy for tonight."

Meldrick closed his eyes and turned away from the guard, pressed his forehead against the bars of the cage. Now the food made sense. Part of him wanted to refuse to eat, scuff dirt over the rancid mess, and spit on it. Spit on the guard. But that wasn't going to happen. He would eat the food, relish it, savor it, make it last as long as he could, lick it from his fingers, and wish for more. Because there wasn't anything else to do.

No comments:

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...