Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome Sharita Lira today

Welcome the talented Sharita Lira today to Dawn's Reading Nook....A wonderful author and friend, Sharita has a writing style that will grab you by the throat and shake you till you whimper "Uncle".

Now without further adieu....Sharita Lira

Why don't you start us off by telling us how you discovered/decided you wanted to become a writer?

Hi Dawn, thanks for having me. I actually started writing in my early teens but it wasn’t erotica. It wasn’t till I was married with kids that I decided to finally take the plunge and become published. *laughs*

It was at the insistence of friends, my husband, and several people who read my fanfiction work that urged me to go on.

Do you have a favorite TV show you can't miss?

No, I don’t watch a lot of TV. It bores me.

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both?

These days it’s both. I used to be purely fly by the seat until I learned from my editor and mentor, Sascha Illyvich that it would be easier to at least do a character arc and basic plot line. These days, I can’t start a new story without them and when I try tackling old stories where I didn’t use them, I find myself going back and taking the steps to make those stories fit my style.

So what is your latest or upcoming book about? Give us all the details behind this masterpiece.

Well, I have two stories out. As you know, I write under three pennames, Michael Mandrake, Rawiya, and BLMorticia. Michael is the busiest right now. He has two stories out. One called A Second Chance and the other is Binding Justice included in the Bound for Romance anthology.

A Second Chance is about 2 gay closeted cops who’ve both lost their partners in the line of duty and because of this and the fear of being outed to their peers, they have stayed single. Now, one would like to test the waters but the other is hesitant due to his status at the department. I’m very proud of it and see myself doing a sequel.

Binding Justice is about an older man who seeks a helper and partner after his wife passes away from cancer. At the insistence of his gay friend, he decides to try dating a young man who he in turn falls in love with and desires to be his master. It’s a light bondage tale and very different than anything I’ve written. It’s the only gay tale in that collection. 

What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them difficult to write?
No, not at the moment. *laughs* Noy gat scenes anyway. I’m finding it more difficult to jump back into writing m/f. I tried it the other day and can’t understand why I’m having so much trouble. *giggles* There are times where a sex scene will take me longer because I don’t want to do the same thing each time. I want all 3 of my pseudonyms to write the hottest and most diverse love scenes. We’re still working on that. 

Who are some of your favorite authors, and if we were to visit your home, what books would we find on your bookshelf, end table, floor or e-reader?
Currently, all of what I read is on my computer. We have books in the book cases but most are Anne Rice, LA Banks, books where the cover is not too raunchy. I have 2 small children. However, on my phone *I don’t have a kindle yet, hint to hubby* I have a vast array of books by GA Hauser, LA Witt, Blak Rayne, Sloan Parker, Rick Reed, Julie Lynn Hayes, Edward Kendrick, Tara Lain… I could go on but I know those are some of my faves.

If you could date any character from any book, who would it be and why?

Well that’s interesting. For this question, I’ll allow my gay pseudonym to answer. Come here Michael. (He sits on couch and waives)

MM: I would say at the moment I’d date Daniel Declerc from A Second Chance. He’s one of the most vibrant characters I’ve written. He’s funny, intelligent, a smart ass, very sexy and a good guy.

Thanks Michael. Stay here I might need you again.

Could you tell us about any work-in-progress, current projects, what we can expect from you in the future?

A lot. My 3 muses and me will be very busy. I’ll let them all say what they’re working on.

MM: I’ve got 4 WIP’s working, one called taming Wild horses, a gay western, Closely Guarded, a gay suspense/murder, The sequel to True Meaning of Love my first book, and African Sun which will be most likely my only hetero series.

Rawiya: (Sits next to Michael) Hi there, I have 2 things I’m finishing Trois in Treble which is an MMF and series of stories with BLMorticia called Something New on the Menu. I have 3 stories within that collection.

BL: (Falls on couch) I have a book coming out in the fall called My Lieutenant and as Rawiya said, I have that series with her and my You Don’t Ask We Don’t Tell series coming out in 2012

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be?

*laughs with muses* Crazy Writer. No, joking, most likely the Power of Four er something like that. My muses are a big part of me and my success. Each one reflects different parts of my personality.

Have you ever found that you didn’t like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

No, not yet. I’ve liked all my heroes to this point. My main characters have shocked me with their actions but in the end it all works out. 

What do you do to unwind and relax?  
Read and play with the kids. Is that last one relaxing?

 Is there a genre you haven’t done that you would like to explore in the future?
MM: More paranormal, maybe some historical stories down the line.
BL: Same here as well as more bondage and some f/f

W
hat was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Um, nothing really surprising. 

What is your favorite candy bar?

Anything with chocolate. (muses agree)

When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?
(Muses laugh) How much work I have to do today on these stories and well, I have a birthday coming for one of my kids so planning for that.

What is your favorite pizza?
Sausage green pepper and mushroom

What genres and authors would we find you reading when taking a break from your own writing?
At the moment I’m reading, To the Max by Julie Lynn Hayes

If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?
*looks at muses* Well, it would be The True Meaning Sequel when its finished. *laughs* The first one was sort of incomplete, that’s why I’m writing a sequel to build on the storyline more and give history of the characters.

What else would you like readers to know about you or your work?
Well, besides the fact I write with 3 muses I’d love to tell readers how much I truly love what I do. There is nothing more satisfying than having new covers, seeing all 3 names get that recognition in ebook or print. Writing is my passion and I plan on doing it for a long time.

Thanks so much for having me and the muses. *winks*

Links
The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!
Michael Mandrake - http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com
Its Raining Men Blog - http://rainingmenamen.blogspot.com


Official Blurb and Excerpt from A Second Chance

BLURB:

Hesitant to begin a relationship with someone new, two police officers who have lost their partners in the line of duty try to deal with their obvious attraction to one another. Will one of them accept the other’s proposition to start over or remain alone because of their places on the police force?

PG EXCERPT:


While we continued to chat, I noticed DeClerc in my peripheral. I couldn’t help but stare at him. I moistened my lips, biting the bottom as he came closer.

Damn…

“Um, hello…” I looked past the chief to take a long gander at Daniel. I stood up, extending my hand. “I’m Farris Beason.”

He accepted. “Daniel Declerc. Nice to meet you.” The handshake was firm, his hands soft like a female.

Don chuckled, “See Beason, if you would’ve been in the right frame of mind you could’ve joined Daniel today.”

While we exchanged smiles, I gawked at the pretty face in front of me. Daniel was even more gorgeous up close. The only distraction was the defect on his finger. Who was lucky enough to call him theirs? I had to find out.

“Pity,” Daniel said with a grin. “Maybe when you’ve recovered from your wild night?” He cocked an eyebrow.

I laughed, “Yeah, um…maybe…”

We’d broken our hand gestures but not our gaze. Maybe he did play for my team, but the question remained, who was he married to?






5 comments:

Tara Lain said...

Hi Sharita/Michael and Rawiya! Just stopping by to say hi. The book sounds so terrific. *hugs*

S.Lira said...

Oh thanks Tara! I love what I do and I do adore that book as I do all the others!

Thank you Dawne for having me here today!

David Kentner -- KevaD said...

Sharita is definitely one of the hardest working and nicest people in the business.
Great interview.
Okay, for me, any interview with pizza is a great interview.

S.Lira said...

Aw thanks DA appreciate the kind words.

I always love to help and be helped. *laughs*

:D

You have been so great to me as well and youre an awesome author!

DawnsReadingNook said...

Hi Michael and guests lol

Sorry meant to be here yesterday but alas time got ahead of me it seems. Thanks for being my guest here Sharita, Michael and Riawya. Love having you here.

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Seven Days at Mannerly

  Check out the newest book by Audrey Schuyler Lancho, Seven Days at Mannerly, today. Make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the autho...