Saturday, July 2, 2011

Talking with Sue Brown

I am currently sitting in my friend’s living room. It is the first time I have been to her part of the world. She lives about 120 miles from me, deep in the English countryside, not far from the world of The Lord’s Tale. Gently rolling hills, farmland, and not one bloody signpost anywhere. Grrr. I spent forty minutes travelling up and down the same country roads before finding my way. 

Finally, frustrated by the lack of signposts and road names, I went into the local pub. The chap was very friendly when I said I was lost. He didn’t ask where I was trying to get to. He asked who I was trying to find. Truly an English village.

What I love about this particular friend is the first thing she did was offer me her netbook. I’d brought my own. We are sat side by side, idly watching Star Trek on the enormous TV, and doing our own thing. We do talk. She’s a fandom friend, so we can discuss the merits of our pairings for hours… and hours. And maybe a few more hours. Look, hot men, come on!
Recently I went away with a group of people with whom I had nothing in common. I ended up wanting to come home almost as soon as I’d got there. You would think by this age I should have learnt not to put myself in uncomfortable situations. I don’t want to go clubbing. At my age I feel like grab-a-granny. It was interesting watching it from an outsider’s POV. My companions were drunk and relaxed, even surrounded by kids half their age. They were happy and flirty, and the kids flirted back. I was unhappy and not drunk enough. No flirting for me. Back to my internet world and I can flirt happily away with anyone.

So what does this teach me? As I wend my way through middle age, I realise that I am never going to be a party animal. I am happier sitting on my friend’s sofa – now joined by her husband as he kills things on the big screen – than I ever would be at a club. I’m not anti-social as such. I just like my entertainment in small doses. You won’t find me enjoying a fandom con (too many people and too many queues), but I will enjoy a meet up of a few fandom friends. 

This even translates to my books. I rarely write my boys in group situations and if I do, they are most firmly together. Sometimes I put them in clubs, but only together, not to pick up a partner. 

You’re probably thinking, ‘Get off your arse, Sue. There’s a world out there away from the internet.” I know there is, and take me to a play, a musical, wine and dine me, and I am a happy Sue. But never take me to a club filled with sixteen year old kids. You see, I’m the type of girl who wants to sit in a room with her friends… and a life-size Dalek called Derek.

Coming July 2011, The Lord's Tale, Book 3 in the Fitzwarren Inheritance Trilogy
Silver Publishing
Contemporary MM Romance
Buy HERE

Surrounded by the tragedy of his family's history, the last thing Phil expects is to be  picked up by a gorgeous guy twenty feet up a climbing wall. What scares him even more is the way Lee fits into his life, the final piece to break the Fitzwarren curse.

Books in this series...
Book 1- The Psychic's Tale by Chris Quinton
Book 2- The Soldier's Tale by RJ Scott
Book 3- The Lord's Tale by Sue Brown
Morning Report by Sue Brown
Contemporary Cowboys MM
Dreamspinner Press
Buy HERE in Print
Buy HERE in E-book

A decade on from their first kiss, Luke Murray is more in love with Simon every day. Running the Lost Cow ranch for Luke’s parents, they keep their heads down and get along with the locals, even if Luke is known for being a hothead.

Then one day they discover the local store owners refuse to serve them. They’re bewildered until Luke’s mom tells them the new pastor has targeted the couple in his sermons.

Suddenly Luke and Simon find themselves alienated from people they called friends, and their ranch comes under a series of attacks. As the town’s hatred and homophobia turns on them, Luke and Simon will face a critical choice: give in to the town’s demands and disappear, or stand and fight for themselves and their love.



3 comments:

S.Lira said...

I love Sues writing!

Morning report is up for my book of the year.

I know what you mean, Sue. I used to be a party gal but now I'm more of a at home person.

I did go out for Pride though... LOL

DawnsReadingNook said...

I agree Rawiya..Sue has such wonderful stories. It's amazing how invested you get with the characters.

I love her work and can't wait to see what else she comes up with.

Sue Brown said...

At the moment, my dears, 3 half written stories and not much else.

If I put them together I'd have a whole novel LOL!

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Seven Days at Mannerly

  Check out the newest book by Audrey Schuyler Lancho, Seven Days at Mannerly, today. Make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the autho...