Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Book Review: Extinction by Douglas Preston

 


EXTINCTION by Douglas Preston

Forge Books

Release date: April 23rd, 2024.

ISBN: 9781250909763 (E-book)

Contemporary Technothriller, Genetic Engineering Science Fiction

Available at Amazon

Goodreads Link

My Rating for EXTINCTION: 5 Stars and a Recommended Read


MY REVIEW OF EXTINCTION:

Erebus Resort is one of the premier places in Colorado, a hundred-thousand-acre valley deep in the Colorado Rookies and where guests can watch the newly de-extinct creatures such as woolly mammoths, Irish Elk and others. But when a millionaire’s son and his new wife are murdered while out in the Erebus back country, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation sends Agent Frances ‘Frankie’ Cash to see what is going on and to capture the killers. But what Frankie, alongside Sheriff James Colcord find is more than an open and shut case but one filled with secrets that threaten not just the lives of everyone at the Erebus Resort but also the world.

 

Douglas Preston’s newest single title, EXTINCTION, is a wonder and a horror all at once within its pages. Filled with twists and turns the reader doesn’t anticipate and characters that you can cheer on, EXTINCTION is a story filled with Jurassic Park-like creatures from long ago that you only see in museums and captures the reader’s attention from the very first page to the last. This is truly a marvel that will delight readers who love this author’s work like I do with its real-world issues converging on long ago issues that create the perfect storm. This is truly a fun read though I have to admit I am really hoping this never happens in real life because the chaos it will create is even more than I can imagine.


EXTINCTION by Douglas Preston is filled with intriguing and at times some really awful characters that had me glued to the pages as each secret was revealed as I couldn’t put this down. His lush description of the Colorado Rocky setting had me wishing to go visit (and hope I come out alive). With each page I flipped I was drawn more and more into the story he crafted and by the end of EXTINCTION, I was horrified as well as intrigued by the science that it was based on as well as the question ‘What if…?’. EXTINCTION is one of those thrillers that will haunt you afterwards and I know I am not the only one who found the horror of what happened within its pages as one that in many (and many more) years to come that might come true as science advances at an alarming pace. The characters are extremely well written and complex, giving me different personality traits at times that had me grinning and eager to see what happens to them next within the book.

 

EXTINCTION delivers a thrill ride from the beginning and if there is one book of his, notwithstanding his Pendergast series with Lincoln Child, to read I really recommend this one to give you a glimpse into his writing and mind. Now I am off to see if I can see what other works by this author has done so that I can devour it next.

 

This is an objective review and not an endorsement.

 



No comments:

New Release Book Spotlight Tour: The Banned Book Club by Brenda Novak

  THE BANNED BOOKS CLUB Author: Brenda Novak Publication Date: September 17, 2024 ISBN: 9780778369592 Format: Trade Paperback Pub...