Thursday, June 27, 2019

Welcome Author Janet Lane Walters

Please give a warm welcome to author Jane Lane Walters as we chat about their latest book, Children of Fyre and more.


Thanks for stopping by to talk a little about your writing! Let's jump right in. When did you begin writing and why?

Do you have a favorite genre? Is it the same genre you prefer to write?

No favorite genre. I write romance, contemporary and paranormal including fantasy and reincarnation novels. I also write cozy mysteries and one medical suspense. There are also YA fantasy stories and several non-fiction books,

Do certain themes and ideas tend to capture your writer’s imagination and fascinate you?

This is a hard question to answer. Since I write in several genres there are themes I follow in each.  The difference between good and evil fascinate me. As do gems, fire and astrology. I’ve used the all in books. And of course romance and people finding each other and falling in love are themes I enjoy. Devising the ways I can use these themes differently is a plus.

How do you balance long-term thinking vs. being nimble in today's market?

I’m not sure I really care about markets. I know what I’m comfortable writing and I’m not expecting to earn a mint. I write stories I like to read and when they’re bought, I’m happy. The market is volatile bit it ahs always been. It makes no sense for me to write something I’m not comfortable with just because that’s what’s selling. I tried that in my early days say thirty years ago and I was unhappy so I returned to writing what I want.

How do you find readers in today's market?

Finding readers takes a number of things and one is writing new books. There’s always a jump in sales of my backlist when a new book is done. I have a blog that has something new up every day except for those few when I can’t access the internew. I also am a permanent feature on two blogs (BWL blog and Sweet and Spicy Divas.) I also guest on someone’s blog once a month. I’m active on Facebook and on Twitter. I could do some advertising on various sites but I choose them with care.  All a writer can do is continue to write.

Do you come up with the hook first, or do you create characters first and then dig through until you find a hook?

Actually, I first come up with an idea for a book. I wouldn’t call it a hook but it’s a situation that interests me. Then I figure what genre I want to write the story in and having this in hand, the characters and the plot come together. It’s telling myself a story evry night while I’m falling asleep. Thus the characters and story come together and I finally start to write. I don’t search for that perfect line that starts the story. Often something will come to me. I remember once sitting up in bed after hearing a voice shouting “Not the children.” This became the opening for a book.

How do you create your characters?

I use Astrology to develop my characters. Often, I know their occupation and other things about them before I know their names. I use the Sun sign to create their inner nature, the part of them defining themselves but one they may not show the world. The Ascendant or Rising Sign becomes the face they show the world. Sometimes this creates a great inner tension in the characters. Their Moon is chosen for their emotional response and guides their reactions and sometimes their actions. Once I put all these together, the character has become one to develop as I write the story.

What's on the top of your TBR pile right now?

My TBR list doesn’t stay for long since besides writing I read a book every two or three days. I often re-read books I really like. At the moment, I’m reading Black Dragon by Vijaya Schartz                

Tell me a little about the characters in The Children of Fyre

This is my latest release and is the final book in the Fyre series. The main characters are four young adults. Three are the children of the heroes and heroines in the three other books. The fourth is a child of the villanous wizards. Each of these characters bond with a dragon and they set out to destroy the power of the wizards for all time.

Cerene is the wizard’s child. To her father, she is considered a breeder. Women have no power among the wizards. She has learned how to use all the fyrestones and plots to escape the isle of exile.
Arkon is her opposite. He is the youngest dragon rider but destines not to have a dragon. He is rather cautious and skeptical about the others but he finds Cerene interesting. He has the most trouble with the fyrestones since he ahs always believed those who use them are evil.

Riara is the youngest daughter of the priest and priestess of the Temple of Fyre. She has a tendency to leap before she looks. She has mastered the fyrestones.

Lorton is the child of those who defeated the wizards and drove them into exile. He is steady and thoughtful. He has learned a bit about using the fyrestones.

Where’s the story set? How much influence did the setting have on the atmosphere/characters/development of the story?

The story is set on the island of Fyre, a total invention that I’ve developed over the course of four books. There are mountains, rivers and the island is large enough to have three different lands. There are high mountains separating the three lands. Mountains that can’t be climbed. In this story, the sea coast and the ocean play a large part in the story. Setting always plays a part in a book and this includes weather. Here the weather has much to do with several scenes.

If you had to write your memoir in five words, what would you write?

Eclectic writer invents many worlds.

How often does your muse distract you from day to day minutiae?

I don’t have a muse. I write every day until I finish my goal for that day. It’s usually a scene or when revising, two chapters.

What do readers have to look forward to in the future from you?

 Right now I’m working on Forgotten Dreams, the fifth book in the Moon Child Sries. A contemporary romance set in a large town called Fern Lake. The heroine Emma is a nurse practitioner in private practice with her doctor friend. Returning to her life is Chad Morgan, Hollywood action adventure movie hero. She is the girl he left behind. He is tired of the same role over and over again and of life being a photo op. He realizes he still loves her and she wants to rid herself of the dreams she remembered and he forgot.



Children of Fyre
Fantasy
Island of Fyre book 4
BWL Publishing Inc.

In this return to the Island of Fyre, each of the heros and heroines of the three previous books have children. Lorton is the youngest son of the Wizards of Fyre and he has bonded with the yellow dragon. 

The dragon through the magic of the stones has been rejuvenated and is now green. Dragon sends Lorton to travel to where the Dragons of Fyre are raised. There he meets Arkon son of the hero and heroine of the Dragons of Fyre. 

There have been four eggs laid and there must be two young men and two young women found to bond with them. On the island where the evil wizards were exiled, Cerene has grown up as little more than a slave. She can use all the fyrestones unlike her father. She learns about the kidnapping of Riara, daughter of the hero and heroine of the Temple of Fyre and vows to save her. 

The four must unite with their dragons and finally destroy the evil.

By Mark:


Excerpt:

The first meeting of the four.

Arkon pushed his steed into a gallop leaving Lorton and the pack horses behind. Dragon’s report that the women hadn’t eaten for a full day troubled him. He rode until the horse slowed its pace. Ahead, Dragon crouched on the grass. Arkon scanned the area ahead and spotted the two women sheltering in a cluster of trees.
Not far from their position, he dismounted. With his hands held high to show he held no weapons, he approached the pair. The women rose. Their beauty brought a smile. The one with the hair of fire stood tall and slender. The ice blonde had curves tempting him to touch. Which one would be his? Would he and Lorton or the women choose?
By the time he constructed a fire circle and gathered wood, Lorton arrived. Together, they unpacked the steeds and gathered the makings of a meal.
He struck his fire starter several times and failed to ignite the kindling. “Sure wish there was a magical way to start a fire.”
“There is.” Lorton pulled a wand from his pack.
Arkon held up his hand. “Don’t.”
The fair-haired woman laughed. “Let me.” A spear of flame shot from her hand. “Are you the friends Dragon said were on the way?”
Arkon nodded. “Why did you use a fyrestone to start the fire? Those stones and those who use them are forbidden in this land.”
“How foolish,” she said. “Why?”
“There are many reasons. My father…” He clamped his lips together.
The flame-haired woman stepped forward. “Who are you?”
“The youngest son of the dragon riders of High Peaks.”
“Name.” Both women spoke.
“Arkon.” He pointed to his friend. “Lorton.”
The taller of the women stalked toward the fire. “I’ll ask again. Why are the stones considered evil?”
“My father suffered much because of the temple priestesses who used the stones to keep him a prisoner. He managed to escape and return here.”
“Managed? I know that story. My father aided a slave to escape. There is no need to worry or fear our people. The evil priestess was killed when she fought my parents. They used fyrestones to defeat her.” She turned to her companion. “We have no friends here. We must find another refuge.” Cerene joined her. They walked away.
*Stop.*
Dragon’s voice roared in Arkon’s head. *Why should I? I won’t bring reminders of what my father suffered under the rule of the priestesses.” He turned to Cerene. “I want you to promise not to use the stones until we speak to my father.”
Cerene shrugged. “I see no harm in using them but I will refrain for now.”
Arkon reached for a large pot and filled it with water from a leather sack. He added dried vegetables and chunks of meat from the deer Dragon had killed. Lorton lifted a pack to the ground.
The ice blonde dimpled when she smiled. “I am Cerene. My companion is Riara.”
Arkon stirred the pot. She is beautiful and one he could consider as a bondmate.
Lorton pulled tunics and divided skirts from a pack. “The lady of the keep sent these. There are several sizes.”
Riara accepted the stack. She walked into the woods. Cerene followed. When they returned their tattered clothing had been replaced. Arkon dished bowls of steaming stew. The four settled to eat.
Cerene dipped a spoon into the dish. “Where do we go from here?”
“Home,” Arkon said.
She sighed. “How wonderful you make that sound. The isle where I was born never felt like a place where I belonged.”
Riara grasped her bowl. “I would love to go home.” She set the dish on the ground. “I hope they don’t pay the price the wizards asked.”
Lorton refilled his bowl. “What price?”
“A hundred thousand white fyrestones. I doubt there are that many available.”
Arkon shuddered. “And they will be used for evil. That is how all fyrestones are used.”
“They can be used for good,” Lorton said. “The yellow casts light in the darkness. When Dragon and I traveled the dark tunnel, I used them.”
Arkon’s jaw clenched. “No more talk about those stones. In the morning we’ll begin our journey to the keep.”
“How far must we walk?” Cerene asked.


Author Information

Janet Lane Walters has been published for 50 years but she took off about twelve years to return to work as a nurse to help put her four children through college. She began with short stories and when that market went sour, turned to novels. This came after an editor at a magazine told her the short story she sent sounded like a synopsis for a novel. She has a BA in Creative Writing and a BS in Nursing. As a writer, she bounces around from contemporary, mainly medical based stories, cozy mysteries, fantasy and paranormal novels. There are probably 50 or more books out there. She worked as a ghost writer for several years and those books were written with doctors. One is a book on writing with her friend Jane Toombs.

Janet lives in the scenic Hudson River Valley with her husband of sixty plus years. She has four children, three biological and one adopted biracial child. She has seven grandchildren. Four are black and three Chinese. Her eclectic nature continues in her family.

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com



Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa

  Check out Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the author is giving one lucky perso...