Sunday, February 10, 2019

Guest Author Day with Vicki Bateman

Please give a warm welcome to author Vicki Bateman who joins us in the Reading nook.


What started your interest in writing? I have a friend who takes all the credit. She was my sons school librarian. I had toyed with the idea of writing and expressed that to her one day, but I was afraid of being bad at it; so did nothing. One day we went on a road trip with friends and she said, “Let’s play car games.” We groaned but did it anyway. One question was pick one: Tom Jones or Englebert Humperdink. Then she said, “Write the opening of a book using the word window.” I had nothing. Nothing because I didn’t want to be bad. So I opted for responding by email later which I did. I wrote eight chapters. She read them and said, “Keep going.” I did.

What is your book(s) about? Just Desserts…and Other Stories are very very short stories. There are eleven of them. I believe shorts are just as satisfying to read as longer works.

What are you currently working on? My third romantic comedy mystery and two short stories.

What genres do you write in? I write romantic comedy mysteries and romantic comedy short stories. A friend once told me I was funny and I was like, “really?” That personality filters into my work.

If zombies attacked what kind of supplies would you want? I’m not up on all thing zombie. However, an ability to have good food. And the inside info on how to eliminate them seem like a good idea. I think I’d watch “Shaun of the Dead” again for more tips.

Do you keep a notebook near your for when new ideas pop into your head? I collect scraps of paper because if I don’t write when I hear it, then I lose whatever that notion was. I believe those moments are truly the best inspired ones and fresh. We all want fresh.

When writing, how do you keep track of timelines, ideas, inspiration and such? By notes on the computer, a notebook perhaps? Sigh. Since sticky notes were invented, I’ve been a huge fan. When I worked, I’d plaster them on my body so I wouldn’t forget to do stuff. Now, I use the 3x4 in ruled ones and stick to my desk top. To the right of my laptop are the ones for the book. To the left are the ones with tasks to do. I don’t like forgetting.

Do you prefer to extensively plot your stories, or do you write them as they come to you? A friend describes herself as a Plotster – Plot (ter) + (Pant) ster. I get the initial idea and let ‘er ride. However, I know how the story works: beginning, middle, black moment, end. With those goals in mind, I work toward that. It’s always the middle that drives me (and most everyone else) crazy.

Do you have a favorite genre? Is it the same genre you prefer to write? I read a ton of mysteries and always have since cutting my teeth on the Bobbsey twins (yup, that admission ages me) to Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden to Agatha Christie and beyond.

What has been the defining moment in your career that made you think “Yes, I am now a writer!”? The first time I sold a short story to a True magazine. I was on cloud nine. I sold thirteen in all and every sale was a celebration.


From sassy writer Vicki Batman comes eleven very short tales with a dash of humor.  



Included are:

Bug Stuff ~ An accountant unites with his co-worker to exterminate a pesky adversary.
Just Desserts ~ A political dinner gone disastrous brings together a reluctant attendee and her handsome seat-mate.
With This Ring ~ When a wife forgets the all-important little black dress, the evening turns into something utterly unforgettable.
Good Girls Finish First ~ When men friends are challenged to fix breakfast if they lose a race, one woman leads the pack and discovers finishing first can lead to romance.
Ouch ~ Who knew a yoga class would be so dangerous...and romantic?
Man Theory ~ When a geeky co-worker espouses his theory on love, a friend risks her heart.
Tommy and the Teacher ~ A young boy steals from the school’s book fair causing interesting possibilities to arise.
Absolutely Positively Lost ~ Helping a map-challenged young man find his way is truly serendipitous.
The Little Birdie Who ~ A new town, a new friend, a new beginning. Who would have thought a little bird could bring two people together?
Check Her Out ~ It’s a sticky situation, especially between a store manager and Auntie Caren when her nephew must pay for the gum he stole.
This Is Not Working ~ One of those days at a new job when nothing is going right, and then the boss steps in.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Find Just Desserts…and Other Stories at:
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Desserts-Other-Short-Stories-ebook/dp/B07CT8XC5F/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525792619&sr=1-1&keywords=just+desserts+and+other+stories/
Bitly: https://amzn.to/2jLKWGL/
Print: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Desserts-Other-Stories-writer/dp/1718719302/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527956600&sr=8-2&keywords=just+desserts+and+other+stories/
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/just-desserts-and-other-short-stories-vicki-batman/1128592107?ean=2940155242031/
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/823338/

Excerpt from Man Theory:
"I have a theory about love.”
        Ethan's statement knocked me from the proverbial mountain top. Eyeing him, I clapped my hand across my mouth to stifle a giggle.
        From Day One at our new jobs at Prime Designs, Ethan and I had forged a friendship. I was the artsy heart-sy, emotional gal. Him--the technical, by-the-book pal. We ate an occasional dinner, watched a movie, whatever. Traded small gifts like coffee, a magazine, music. However, Ethan had never made an overture toward me.
        Translated: Nothing intimate.
        I'd said to myself, "Rats."
        For work, we'd traveled to Colorado Springs to attend a workshop on web design innovations. After check-in, I'd joined him at the bridge crossing the lake to decide about lunch before the meetings commenced.
        My six-one geek wearing rimless glasses, leaned against the railing and stared into the sparkling blue waters of the high mountain lake. The feathered fowl paddled by.
        Have his feelings changed?
        I asked in disbelief, "R-really? A theory...about love?"

Reviews:

4 stars. What a fun collection of sweet short stories. Some had me laughing out loud and others had me saying...awww. Quick little stories and a great way to escape from the stress of the day and just sit back and enjoy. Each story shows how two people meet. Sunshine, humor and heart all rolled into one enjoyable book.

5 stars. What a delightful collection of short stories. Each one sweet with dollops of humor. Cute meets with the promise of much more. Perfect when you haven't much time but want something entertaining and delicious.

5 stars. Such a fun book! Love these feel good short stories. Perfect for a lazy, summer, afternoon at the pool read. I have also read her two books: Temporarily Employed, and Temporarily Insane, Her wit, humor, and sense of romance make her books thoroughly enjoyable!

From Facebook: Romance happens in the darndest ways in Just Desserts … and Other Stories by my writer friend, Vicki Batman.Vicki's newly released collection of 11 sweet short-fiction reads is where ordinary life takes cute and unexpected turns.Love in the office break room? Sure--when he's averse to bugs and she becomes his rescuer. ("Bug Stuff.") A matchmaking goose? How else could a bird bite end in romance? ("Ouch.")

5 stars. These short stories are a good introduction to this writer. Always well written, funny and leave you wanting more. The author never recycles scenarios for relationships that can blossom into more. I always laugh out loud at some of the situations and dialogue between the characters. Enjoy!


Find Vicki Batman at:








8 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I love this book! So many great stories and I totally agree. A short can be a perfect read!

Barbara Bettis said...

This collection sounds absolutely delightful. And I love that you used to read Trixie Belden! When I moved lately, I found I still have one of her old books. Not in the best of shape, true, but it brought back memories :) Best of luck with your book, Vicki!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! Thank you so much for liking my stories. I agree, shorts are perfect reads.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Barbara! It's amazing how many of have loved Trixie, Nancy and the Twins. At one time, I had all of the Trixie books. I so wanted to be like her and have brothers instead of sisters. Sshush, don't tell the sissies.

Sandra Dailey said...

I love having a few collections of short stories on my Kindle. I don't always have the time for a full-length novel. I'm glad there are a few of you who still write them. They're hard to find lately. Good luck, Vicki.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Thank you, Sandra, for stopping by to chat. I love going through an anthology and reading something by other authors and getting to know their work. I wonder if some people feel short stories aren't satisfying. They are very satisfying.

I like to feature short stories on my FB page, Short Stories Rock. All authors are welcomed any time!

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Looks delicious!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Oh thank you, Anna! A writer friend did the cover for me. I thought it looked pretty sweet. Hugs.

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...