Saturday, November 2, 2013

Welcome Rhonda Lee Carver today

 Welcome to my Reading Nook, Rhonda Lee Carver. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink.

Comfortable? Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

To get us started can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out? 
At the moment, I’m working on Book 2 of the Wicked Wolves Series, Wicked Lust. It’s a paranormal romance, but even readers who don’t like shifters may enjoy this series. Because the wolf family is under a curse, they are living as humans and can’t shift. That will come in Book 3…*hint hint*

 If we asked your muse to describe you using five words, what do you think they would say?
 Writing hunks who love to sweat (Sorry, I couldn’t stop at 5). So maybe my muse should say, “She loves to break rules.” ;)

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you.
 
I live in farm country where there are more churches than stores and people believe that writers who write romance are sex-crazed and demon-driven. FALSE! I won’t deny that I’m naughty, but I’d like for people to realize how much talent and effort it takes to write a book AND get it published. However, the closed-minded are a very small group. I have readers who flatter me all of the time with their encouraging words. I appreciate their kindness.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? 
Oh my…I’d love to live in Bora Bora, but I’d settle for a modest house on the beach here in the States.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why? 
I’d probably suggest they start with my latest, Wicked Pleasures,  and then the first two I had publsihed, Double Dare and A Diamond in a Rose.  My reasoning, my writing has grown and I’d like to think I’m a much better writer. If they start with my last, I can (hopefully) draw them in and then they can read my firsts and appreciate how far I’ve come.

However, because my books are different heat levels, if someone states that they want a specific heat rating, I’ll point them in the right direction. I don’t want anyone to be disappointed by either too much steam or not enough.

Where do you find the inspirations for your stories?
 If I hear a word, or see a color, an item or place that settles into my mind, it’s a good possibility that a story will grow. A friend told me that a man who was working on her house gave her the creeps so instead of calling her husband, she went outside and killed a chicken with her bare hands…and yes, the “creeper” was watching and stayed at least fifty feet from her thereafter. I created an entire character from her one-minute story.

Are your characters able to love or do they need to be taught? 
I hope readers don’t hate me, but I don’t believe in love at first sight. I believe in lust at first sight, which is great. Without lust we wouldn’t give anyone the time of day. So, I’d say my writing reflects my belief. My characters have flaws, like a diamond that needs polished to shine. Some of my characters are pretty downright obnoxious at times. One even lied, to save his brother’s reputation (With Honor), and the heroine forgave him…but several readers didn’t. I like infusing real-life possibilities with not-so-real actions.  I hope I can encourage readers to question, “What would I do if…?!?” In Wicked Pleasures, Roark had Bronte kidnapped and brought to his house. He did it not only to save her life, but to save the lives of others. They didn’t like one another the first few chapters, but that changes, and the connection between them is an inferno. Duke (Second Ride Cowboy: Book 2 of Second Chances Series) wakes up from a coma and when he finds that life has changed, he becomes a jerk, but a kind-hearted jerk.

Do you have a book that was easiest to write or one that was the hardest? 
I had a very difficult time with the Second Chance Series. My first book, Second Chance Cowboy, was easy to write, but when I started getting requests for Duke and Lila’s story, I couldn’t seem to click with the story line. It took me forever to get Second Ride Cowboy out because I had to put it back for almost a year before I pulled it out and started again. And fortunately, the words flowed on my third shot.

 If you could collaborate with one author who would it be? 
Hmm…I have a few in mind, but I’m worried that I’ll jinx the opportunity if I reveal their name ;)

Coffee, tea or other drink to get you moving in the morning? 
Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon. If I’m lucky, a glass of wine in the evening. It doesn’t happen often.

What is coming up from you in 2013? Anything you want to tease us with? 
To close out the year, I will be releasing Wicked Lust, I will be re-releasing Second Chance Cowboy, and *fingers crossed* I will be finished with Book 3 of the Second Chance Series (Title is a secret).

Anything else you want to add? 

Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhonda-Lee-Carver-Author


Second Ride Cowboy
Western/Cowboys Romance
Available at Amazon

Riding is nice. But riding with a partner is much more fun…

Duke McGraw learned the hard way that life can change in the blink of an eye. Waking up from a coma, he wants nothing more than to ride back into his life—but nothing is the same, not even Lila Sinclair. With pride the size of Texas, Duke builds a wall of anger. Bent, not broken, he climbs back into the saddle to see where the rocky trail leads him. 

Lila loves Duke—always had, always will—but the wounds of tragedy run deeper than physical. Confused by Duke’s emotional barriers, Lila is at the end of her rope but refuses to lose hope. Tough and determined, Lila’s out to lasso her cowboy. But will her nurturing heart be broken again? A man like Duke comes with risks. When playing with fire someone is bound to get scorched. 

Some flames never die, and Duke and Lila’s connection is hotter than hell. Temperatures rise on the ranch and horses aren’t the only thing being ridden. When the future is at stake, choices must be made. Beyond the scars and tragedy, will love rise again or will the second chance be the last?

Excerpt:

He couldn’t resist the temptation any longer. He brought his gaze up to look at her. She’d been puttering around the kitchen all morning. The sounds of clattering pots and pans, and the sweet and savory smells of home cooking floated into his room like a hypnotic lure. Her cheeks were rosy, her hair hung in waves and he wanted nothing more than to run his fingers through it on his way to touching skin. She’d exchanged the T-shirt for a strapless red top and shorts that made him want to drag them down her legs with his teeth.
       Fuck! His balls ached.
       “You need to go out,” he said through clenched teeth.
“You want to sit around here all day eating your chips, so be it.” She threw her hands up. “You want to live in a pig sty, I can’t stop you.” She kicked a shirt across the room.
“Aren’t you supposed to be at work giving your patients instructions? Lay off me. I’m not a child.”
“There comes a point in everyone’s life when they need to realize their attitude is comparable to a spoiled brat.”
Her words raced through him like wildfire. He slid off the bed, making a sizeable effort in moving as fast as his body would carry him. Standing at his full height, with his legs steady underneath him, he stared at her. “What part of ‘leave me alone’ don’t you get? For some reason, you can’t understand those boundaries.” His adrenaline was on high.
“I’m trying to help your ass when all I want to do is kick it into the next county.”
“No one asked for your help. In fact, it’s annoying.” Her bottom lip trembled. A stab of guilt made him swallow. He reminded himself to keep his wall up.
“I’m annoying?” Her laughter was harsh. Most women would have stormed out, but not Lila. She stomped across the room and stopped directly in front of him. Her eyes were like daggers ready to slice him into shreds. “I know boundaries, Duke. I know them very well. But let me help you with remembering a few things. Four years ago, you walked out of my life. I left you alone. Then one day you show up on my doorstep with a story of wanting to help Chance and Carly reunite. It didn’t take long before we landed in bed—again. I promised myself I’d never fall for your charm like I’d done the first time. Unfortunately, I fell like a foolish teenager, in spite of knowing you’re not the commitment type.” He saw a mist in her eyes. She blinked and the moisture disappeared. “Now you’re running just like before, and using your injury as the excuse. Don’t worry. I’ve learned my lesson.”
“If you don’t leave now, I won’t be held responsible for what happens!” Every muscle in his body tensed.
“What are you talking about?”
Logical reasoning gone, he grabbed her hips and dragged her against his body. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he whispered as he dropped his mouth to hers. He pressed his lips against her, slipping his tongue inside her mouth and tasting her sweetness. Every nerve ending, every cell, charged alive. He was consumed with heat and need. If he didn’t gather himself, he’d lose control.
He started to pull away, but her arms looped around his neck and a moan escaped her, erasing any possibility that this would end without fulfillment. He’d suffer the consequences later, for now he wanted to fall into the madness and the unyielding connection that drew them together.
Her fingers dropped to his waist and undid the button. At the same time, he slid his hands down her slender body, to the hem of her shorts and smoothed his palms across her silken thighs. In one swift move, he lifted her until her legs were wrapped around his hips. He took two steps to the bed and lowered her, keeping their bodies entwined. He laid down on top of her.
He lifted his head and looked down into her bright eyes. “Tell me to stop, and I will.” His words came out on a long breath.
The tip of her tongue swept out and moistened her bottom lip. “Stop now and I shall burn and disintegrate,” she whispered.
Lifting himself up on his knees, he unfastened her shorts and removed them from her body, her pink panties followed. The air left his lungs in bittersweet yearning. “Damn, you’re so beautiful.” He ran his palm along the slight curve of her stomach and downward, running his fingers across the apex of her thighs. Vanilla entwined with the scent of sweet pussy enveloped his senses. His cock grew and he thought he’d burst.
She must have read his thoughts. She unzipped his jeans and pushed them off his hips, freeing his cock that stood full and erect. He helped by sliding them further down his legs and gave them a toss. Her fingers wrapped around him, pumping and milking, as her hips churned in invitation. Urgency washed over him. It’d been long, too long, and he searched for control. Managing his breathing and burying his face into her chest, he counted ten. When the tightness eased some, he buried his finger knuckle deep inside her silken opening. “You’re fucking hot.”
“I want you, Duke!”
“Are you taking something, baby?” he asked against her cheek. “Protection?”
“Yes,” she whispered.
Removing his finger, he pressed the head of his cock against her lips and her tight muscles wrapped around him. He slid deeper as she swirled her pussy in a rhythmic motion, her fingers gripped his shoulders as he plunged into her. His balls tingled. Her body tensed and her breathing turned ragged. Her nails sank into his back and it drove him over the edge. One last jerky motion and he released.
They lay together, Duke listening to the fast beating of her heart. He didn’t want to move because he knew once he did the pleasant mating would end. He rolled to the side and the cool air swept across his moist cock. Silence became a dark cloud hovering over them.
Lila moved off of the bed, pulling on her panties followed by her shorts. Her hair was disheveled and her lips were swollen from his kisses. His cock jerked and pointed at the ceiling proudly. He was ready for round two, but the distance in her gaze told him it wasn’t happening. His tongue was frozen and his dick went flaccid. She wrapped her arms around her waist and dismay flooded him. “I know that look,” he said. He wished he was a man with a broad vocabulary because he wanted to say something, anything, to erase the signs of disappointment marring her beautiful features.
“And what is this look?”
“That was a record breaker. Hot to cold in seven seconds.” He grabbed his jeans and stood up to pull them on; thankful he didn’t fall flat on his face.


1 comment:

Sue Barr said...

I'll partner with you Rhonda! In a flash. We started out together with The Rose's Critique group and I've loved watching your career bloom.
I got your six, sister.

Sue B
www.susanleebarr.com

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...