Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Guest Author day with Heather Boyd

Please give a warm welcome to author Heather Boyd who sat down with me to discuss her new release, Miss Watson's First Scandal.

To get us started can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out?

First off, thanks for having me on your blog today. Well, right now I’m between stories and working on promotion for my new release, Miss Watson’s First Scandal. It’s a significant part of what authors must do to promote their work. Sometimes I find it as hard as writing the book I’m supposed to talk about. So, a little about Miss Watson’s First Scandal -- a Miss Mayhem Series novella…

Overworked London banker David Hawke has two goals for his week in the seaside town of Brighton: one, demand repayment of a debt without losing a valued friendship and two, relax for the remaining holiday without further distractions—except he encounters his friend’s newly confident younger sister. Abigail Watson is flirty, bold, and determined David will agree to her bargain and save her brother from debtor’s prison. But is her game to prevent him from calling in the debt, or are her sweet kisses a sign she is after a much greater prize instead?

Want to read an excerpt from Miss Watson’s First Scandal? Here’s a teaser:

“I’ve been waiting for you, Miss Watson.” David’s voice was a soft, dangerous growl.
Abigail backed up a step in shock. “Really? Why?”
He moved closer. “When you were a little girl I turned a blind eye when the fruit on our trees mysteriously disappeared overnight, only to appear again from your kitchen. My mother was very put out, but I held my tongue because I didn’t want to stir up trouble between our families. In this instance; however, I cannot be so forgiving.”
She swallowed the lump that threatened to clog her throat. “I haven’t taken anything from your garden in years.”
David glanced left and right as footsteps echoed in the night. He caught her arm to drag her into the shadows cast by her rear garden wall. “Do not play games with me, Miss Watson. I know you’ve taken a letter from my luggage and I demand it be returned forthwith.”
He tightened his hand and she gasped at the strength of his grip. “Please, Mr. Hawke—David.” She struggled against his hold. “Not yet. I have a plan to fix this but I need a little more time.”
“Well, if thievery is part of your grand plan then my reluctance to become involved was in vain. What were you thinking?” He shook her a little. Startled, she set her hands on his chest as he drew her closer against him. It was a shock to be caught in David’s embrace. As she had observed before, he was so much bigger and warmer than she had imagined a man could be.
The clean scent of his cologne filled her senses and she peeked up through her lashes. His eyes were dark as he glared down at her. This was not the David Hawke she knew. This was a stranger and he utterly overwhelmed her.

How would you describe yourself using only five words?
I’m a work in progress.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
My husband would likely prefer my answer was ‘where ever I am’ but I’d love to live in England, at least for a while. (Hubby could come. I suppose we’d better take the kids as well. LOL) I’d like to soak in the culture that shaped Australia’s beginnings, although were influenced by far more than just the UK these days. Ha Ha’s, warm beer, and the Queen’s guards outside Buckingham Palace fascinate me. 

Where do you find the inspirations for your stories?
The better question would be where don’t I find inspiration. I’m very lucky so far. Story ideas are plentiful—and equally distracting. For instance I saw a book cover yesterday of a woman in a face mask and the next thing I knew I’ve got a whole other story waiting to be written. Right now I’m supposed to be having a break from writing but I’m starting to believe that’s never really possible. 

What is coming up from you in 2013? Anything you want to tease us with?
After Miss Watson’s First Scandal comes out I have a novel set for release in September. Hunting the Hero is the final novel in the Wild Randalls series and I’m really looking forward to introducing Rosemary Randall. She was a blast to write although extremely stubborn about revealing herself to me. November sees the release of the second Miss Mayhem Series Novella, Miss George’s Second Chance.

If you had a reporter follow you around for the day, what would the readers get to see in your daily schedule? 
Oh the poor fellow. He’ll be asleep by morning tea time. Kids off to school by 8am, reading/replying to urgent emails and then if I’m working on a new novel – butt in chair until I write 1000 words, coffee and stretch break, another 1000 words, lunch, as many more words as I can manage until my youngest gets home. Often back to work for email till dinner time. Writing is an accumulative process. Some days I write more than others. It’s pretty far from glamorous but fun and personally rewarding.

Is it hard coming up with titles or characters names?
I find naming characters a lot of fun. Firstly, I try not to reuse first names of former main characters to avoid confusion with other stories. Since I write early 19th century set stories and there is often a title involved, a bit of research is required to have the name sound authentic. I also try not to use a living peer’s title. 

One thing I discovered very recently is that I must practice typing the character name a few times before I commit to it. I had a secondary character in one book become the hero of a later book. While writing his novel I could not EVER type his name correctly or quickly. For speeds sake, I let the name remain incorrect until I finished the first draft and then went back to find and replace every misspelling. Lesson learned.





Author Bio: Heather Boyd is the author of sizzling romance with an historical bent. A fan of regency England settings, she writes m/f and m/m stories that push the boundaries of propriety and even break the laws of that time. Brimming with new ideas, she frequently wishes she could type as fast as she can conjure up new storylines. Heather lives with her testosterone-fuelled family north of Sydney, Australia. 

For more information visit: www.heather-boyd.com 
or http://wp.me/P2AWV4-12j 


Miss Watson's First Scandal
Miss Mayhem Series; Book One
Sensual Regency (M/F)
Pre-Order HERE

Overworked London banker David Hawke has two goals for his week in the seaside town of Brighton: one, demand repayment of a debt without losing a valued friendship and two, relax for the remaining holiday without further distractions—except he encounters his friend’s newly confident younger sister. Abigail Watson is flirty, bold, and determined David will agree to her bargain and save her brother from debtor’s prison. But is her game to prevent him from calling in the debt, or are her sweet kisses a sign she after a much greater prize instead?

No comments:

Discover The Fallenwood Chronicles today/Giveaway

  Check out the tour stop for The Fallenwood Chronicles by Leslie D. Soule today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway for a chance ...