Sunday, February 10, 2013

Guest Author Day with Maggie Berkley


Welcome to my Reading Nook, Maggie Berkley. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys get you a drink.

Maggie: (settles down in a nice lazes chair and grins at the well oiled cabana 'boy' ahem, man as he hands me a Lava Flow)

Comfortable?

Maggie: Yes, thank you.

Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

So, can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out? 

Maggie: Well, I just finished Out of the ShadowedLands, the third book in my Morgan Crowe trilogy. It took over six months to finish and I am so happy with the ending. I had a really hard time finishing the book because I just couldn't let the characters go.
   Morgan Crowe is a banished Sidhe assassin, who for punishment for a crime, was sent to live in the mortal realm among humans. After years of isolation from her people she was drawn back into Court politics and intrigue after she finds out her King was killed and an usurper sits the throne. And also the Queen wants her dead. This book (Out of the ShadowedLands) is the conclusion of Morgan's journey. Of her finally stepping up to the mat and doing what she knows she's supposed to do, which is set the rightful King of the Mor'sin'dar on the Throne. There's action, adventure, romance and intrigue.

How would you describe yourself using only five words? 

Maggie: Intensely funny, weirdly nerdy mom.

If you could write a warning label for yourself as a person or an author, what would it say? 

Maggie: Warning, says things that shock. Can't control what comes out of her mouth. Husband lost mute button.

Do you have any guilty pleasures? 

Maggie: Yes, but I can't really say them in public. My hubby would kill me...lol. Actually, I just finished watching the Roswell series. I'm addicted to Jason Behr. My husband didn't like the character but me...(shrugs & smiles). And I love Grimm and Once Upon A Time. Think I'm going to write a modern day faeiry tale story.

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you. 

Maggie: I cry at a drop of a hat when it comes to my son. I'm going through empty nest syndrome right now. Oh my gosh, here I go again. (grabs tissue) I hate going through this.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? 

Maggie: I would love to live in Ireland (that's where my father's family is from) but I've never been there so I can't really say. But I have been to Maui and I loved it! So I guess Maui. Every color is intense and crisp. And I actually got into a swim suit there and went scuba diving. I'd be outside every day in Maui.

How do you get yourself in the mood to write? 

Maggie: I'm not a disciplined writer. It has to hit me. If the characters aren't talking it's like pulling teeth and not fun for either of us. But once they are talking...boom, they won't shut up and I become like an obsessed maniac, I can't do anything but type. I become agitated, irritable and focused and don't you dare bother me. I eat, sleep, live my writing. And then I wake up and go, "Wow, what happen the past few days? Why is my house a mess and my do I feel hungry?"

Can you share with us your typical writing day.  Is there anything you have to have while writing? 

Maggie: My typical day is staring at the screen. Reading and re-reading what I wrote to make sure it made sense (my hubby says I think faster than I speak or write. That at times I forget to put words in, or make a whole sentence because I'm already on to the next). Once I start writing I'm going and nothing can stop me, but if I have nothing just sit and stare dumbly.
   Things I need? Hmmm, my blanket. Doesn't matter how warn it is, I need a blanket over my legs. A drink, diet Coke or pink lemonade, something to munch on and peace and quiet. No talking. Especially to me. For some reason my husband loves talking to me while I'm in the zone and I try to be nice and polite but argh...I just want to kill them at those times. But instead I just politely grin and nod my head, then quickly write a fight scene.

Who are some of your favorite authors? 

Maggie: Wow, I have a lot. Into Jaye Wells, Michelle Sagara, Kat Richardson, Kristin Britain, Patricia Briggs, Claire Farrell, Barb & J.C. Hendee, Kim Harrison, Amanda Downum. I grew up with Piers Anthony, Robert Asprin & Lynn Abby, Glen Cook, Robert Morell, And my fav favorite is F. Paul Wilson (Repairman Jack RULES!!!!)

What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for? 

Maggie: I'm reading a series by Michelle Saraga right now, the Elantran series, but next is Taken by Claire Farrell then The Dog in the Dark by Barb & J.C. Hendee, part of their Noble Dead series. I have a couple of other books I had gotten but haven't read yet. Hopefully I'll get to them soon.

Is there something special you do to celebrate when one of your books is released? 

Maggie: Not really. I just tell my hubby, my friends and my mom. Then I twiddle my thumbs until a new idea for a book pops into my head. If I'm lucky my husband takes me out for dinner...LOL.

Do you have a favorite TV show you can't miss? 

Maggie: We cut TV out (well, got rid of cable at least. We have Netflix and Hulu). But when I do watch something 'recent' it's Grimm, Once Upon A Time, Face Off or Project Runway.

If you could date any character from any book, who would it be and why-no it doesn't have to be from your books?

Maggie: There is one character I have always been fascinated with and that is Rejar from the book, Rejar by Dara Joy. The scene she has where he walks through a Regency ballroom in nothing but a bathrobe. That scene gets my blood pressure rising. LOVE IT! Enough said. You have to read it.

What is the strangest source of writing inspiration you’ve ever had?

Maggie: My hubby. We used to do role playing games (Dungeons and Dragons) and he had some interesting characters. When I finally get back to revising & finishing my vampire story one of his characters is in it. An albino vampire teenager who's a bit...well, twisted with a bit of girlly teenage angst. Very funny character. Well, to me that is.

If your muse were to talk behind your back, what secrets would he/she tell?

Maggie: That I didn't take a shower this morning. That I stayed up until 3:30am playing Skyrim, and that I separate my peanuts, broken & unbroken, and eat the broken first. Do the same with my dry cereal (I eat it dry). Broken first, unbroken second. Also that I think my husband's smile is the sexiest thing around. (heart flutter)

Anything else you want to add? 

Maggie: Sure, you can catch me on Facebook : http://facebook.com/maggieberkley  On Twitter: http://twitter.com/maggieberkley  and check out my website  http://maggieberkley.jigsy.com .
   I enjoy getting email from my readers so feel free to email me & let me know what you think of my books at maggieberkley@yahoo.com .
   My books are found in e-format and paperback at Barnes & Noble.com, Amazon, Powells, Smashword, Createspace, Kobo, Sonny eReader and a few others.


Out of the Shadowland by Maggie Berkley
Book Three in the Morgan Crowe Trilogy
Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

A storm is brewing in the Dark Courts and her name is Death.

Tired of broken promises and betrayal, Morgan Crowe takes matters into her own hand and carves a destructive path through the maze of political intrigue the Dark Queen of the Mor'sin'dar had created. After rescuing her friend Vivienne from the dungeons of UnderArch, Morgan returns home to discover her son missing, taken by the man she had once given her heart to. Seeking help to retrieve him she finds those she served unwilling to give assistance and realizes that loyalty is not always a two way street. Tired of being used by those she thought of as allies and hunted by those she knows are enemies, Morgan is determined to end the game she had been unwillingly pulled in to and strikes out in fury at everyone around her.
But when her past finally catches up with her and threatens the lives of those she loves, Morgan knows it's time to take a stand. Charged by her dead King to bring justice to him and the throne and still haunted by the prophecy given to her about the future, she must make a decision that could change the ShadowedLands and those who live within its borders forever.
With the help of the mysterious Lord Requiem and the young Werewolf Ty, Morgan steps forward to bring a true King to the Ebon Throne and to remove the threat to her and those she loves. Will she give into her destructive nature or will she finally step into the destiny she was born for?
Teaser Excerpt:

With a soft grunt in response Ty gave a facial shrug before rocking back on his heels. Reaching out a hand he brushed a lock of hair back over Morgan's shoulder, his fingers lingering. “New topic then.” Wetting his lips, he cleared his throat. “What’s happening between us?”
“Between us?”
“Yeah, between us. You’re pushing me out. It’s as if you’re treating me like a stranger. I mean, what about what happened between us in your room. That had to have meant something, didn’t it?”
“It was a mistake, Ty. I…” Frustrated, Morgan looked away, narrowing her eyes. “It was just a kiss.”
“It was more than a kiss. There’s a connection there. I felt it and I know you felt it too.” Stepping closer he looked down at the top of her head, breathing in deeply as a slight smile curled up the end of his lips. He could feel Morgan stiffen, her shoulders growing taunt as she ground her teeth. Oh yes, he disturbed her. Leaning over her, Ty lowered his head toward hers until his mouth brushed the delicate curve of her ear and whispered, “Let me in, Morgan. Don’t push me away. I might not be like Slaine but if you only let me closer I’ll…”
“You’ll what, Ty?” She interrupted, putting a hand to his chest, feeling the muscles under his tee shirt constrict and flex beneath her palm. “Sweep me away, take care of all my problems and protect me from the evils of the world? Grow up, cub. The kiss was an accident, nothing more.” Tilting her head back to look up at him, a hard glint entered her eyes. “Other than friendship there is nothing between us so get the idea of some romantic notion out of your stubborn head and look elsewhere. Find someone your own age.”
“My own age,” Ty chuckled. “Morgan, if you hadn’t noticed you don’t appear much older than me.”
She stared at him before giving an exasperated sigh, shaking her head as she pushed him away from her. “Whatever.” Turning back to the trail, Morgan stalked away.
Seems she shot you down. Crash and burn.
It’s not over yet.
After counting to ten Ty raked his hair back from his face and followed along, keeping an eye on the temperamental Sidhe’s backside, enjoying the gentle sway of her hips as she walked. Whatever it was between them, and there was something, Morgan was denying it wholeheartedly. It was like pulling teeth from a tiger and it didn’t help with the Alpha having fun at his expense.
Rubbing his palms over the fabric of his sweat pants he tapped his thumbs against the side of his thighs as his thoughts and feelings crashed against each other like cresting waves against the rocky shore of a beach. Okay, a break. She was pushing him away, locking him back out of her world, whether to protect him or herself. He was not stupid. Whether she admitted it or not, she did have feelings for him.


You can get in touch with Maggie at maggieberkley@yahoo.com and her website is http://maggieberkley.jigsy.com


B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/maggie-berkley?
keyword=maggie+berkley&store=ebook

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maggie-Berkley/e/B0032IS0OU/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1354813098&sr=1-1

Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/search/search.html?q=maggie+berkley

Sony reader: https://ebookstore.sony.com/author/maggie-berkley_394153

Diesel: http://search.diesel-ebooks.com/author/Berkley,%20Maggie/results/1.html

Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=morgan+crowe+trilogy&sitesearch_type=STORE

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MaggieBerkley 

1 comment:

Maggie Berkley said...

Thank you for having me on your blog, Dawn! I enjoyed doing the interview!

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa

  Check out Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the author is giving one lucky perso...