Friday, January 18, 2013

Under the Covers with Brandon Davis & Elysa Hendricks


Please give a warm welcome to Brandon Alexander Davis from THE SWORD AND THE PEN by Elysa Hendricks today as we sit down and see what makes him tick.

Q: So tell us about yourself. What got you in the crosshairs for your author?
Thanks for having me here today.

Actually I contacted Ms. Hendricks for help with telling my story. I'm a writer myself, but I write sword and sorcery adventure novels, not romance. Oh, don't get me wrong, when the story calls for it, I can write a pretty hot love scene, but all that romancy, lovey-dovey stuff isn't my style.

Other than Serilda, the main character in my Warrior Woman series, I swore off women shortly after my divorce. Women are a total mystery to me. Just ask my ex-wife. On second thought, don't. And I'd decided to do away with Serilda and take my writing in a different direction.

Though THE SWORD AND THE PEN is based on my experiences all the names of people and places have been changed, and on threat of being written into one of my books Ms. Hendricks is sworn to secrecy. It wouldn't do for the world to figure out that some writers can really create other worlds and sometimes those worlds actually intersect with ours.

Q: What was it that drew you to your mate?
Her strength, both body, and spirit. Though I wrote Seri into existence she's much more than the sum of the parts I gave her. Just ask her.

Q: A little naughty fun, where was the wildest place you seduced your partner?
Since she does most of the seduction in our relationship - I'm the shy, retiring one - I hesitate to reveal her secrets. After the adventures we've experienced, both of us prefer the comfort of a soft bed to "wild" places. Besides, it's not the place that makes the loving memorable; it's the person you're with.

Q: Boxers, briefs or Commando on a man?
That's kind of personal question. Why are women so fixated on what kind of underwear a man wears? Is it payback for all the scratchy lace teddies men have been buying for their wives and girlfriends all these years?  But to answer your question - it depends. In this world I like knit boxers. When I'm in Seri's world men don't wear underwear, so I'm forced to go Commando and it's damned uncomfortable.

Q: If your partner wants to seduce you, what's one sure fire trick she can play?
No tricks needed. All Seri has to do is walk into the room. She's the sexiest thing in my life - real or fictional.

Q: What is the one place on your partner's body that you know will drive them wild-in and out of bed?
Seri is a very sensuous woman, but the areas just under her ear lobes and down her neck are especially sensitive. She loves when I kiss her there.

Q: What was one of the most embarrassing thing your author did to you in THE SWORD AND THE PEN?
Ms. Hendricks insisted on revealing all the secrets and insecurities I foolishly told her about. Being slightly agoraphobic and disliking small four-legged, fur-bearing varmints isn't a crime. She didn't have to tell everyone about what happened when the kittens Seri brought home met my agent's annoying little dog. And some of the love scenes she wrote make me blush. I think she and Seri got together on those.

Q: Anything else you would like to add?
I just want to warn other writers out there to be careful what they write. If they're very lucky, they may get to "live" it one day.

Thank you Brandon for joining us on 'Meet the Character' day here at Dawn’s Reading Nook Blog. Please find THE SWORD AND THE PEN by Elysa Hendricks at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Sony and Smashwords.

Buy Links:





Web site:

Facebook:

The Sword and the Pen by Elysa Hendricks

Blurb:
When his fantasy becomes reality, what's a man to do?

It was time. After penning ten popular sword-and-sorcery novels, Brandon Alexander Davis was ready to move on. Ready to stop hiding in his fictional world. Ready to start living a real life. There was just one problem: as he plotted the noble death of Serilda D'Lar, his fictional creation, complete with mile-long sword, skimpy leather outfit and badass attitude, appeared in his study.

Was she nothing more than a crazy fan, or had Brandon finally cracked?

This warrior woman whom he knew so well, so strong yet vulnerable, was both fantasy and reality. She was an invitation to rediscover all he once knew--that life is an incredible, magical journey and, for love, any man can be a hero.

Excerpt:
The door clicked open. Brandon looked at Seri silhouetted in the doorway.
"May I enter?"
He scooted into a sitting position and managed to croak out, "Y-yes."
She closed the door behind her. The dim light heightened his other senses. He heard the swish of the cotton t-shirt she wore as she moved closer. Rich and warm, her scent teased his nose. His heart rate doubled.
Realizing he clutched the sheet to his bare chest like some virginal historical romance heroine, he let it drop to his waist and said, "I'm sorry about Hillary and Wanda taking the guest room. Did you need something? There's extra linen in the hall closet. If you want, you can have my bed and I'll take the couch for tonight," he babbled.
As his eyes adjusted, he watched her walk over and stand next to him. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat.
"The bed will be fine." She lifted one knee onto it and leaned forward. Her warm breath on his cheek sent a tremor through him. "But there is no reason for you to leave."
She trailed her fingertips across his chest as her lips teased the corner of his mouth. Heat surged into his groin. The boxers he wore tented.
"W-what are y-you doing?" He knew exactly what she had in mind, he just didn't know why.
Part of him wanted to reach out and grab her, wanted to take what she offered, wanted to lose himself in her, but it would be wrong. He might not be as strong, heroic or honorable as his fictional hero, Donoval, but he refused to take advantage of this woman, to use her to satisfy his needs. Though it might kill him to say no.
He held her away from him. "What if there's someone else in your life? Being with me won't solve your problem. It won't help you find out who you are."
"There's no one else. I know who and what I am."
The conviction in her voice rattled him. Despite the impossibility of her being his fictional character come, he no longer doubted she believed it. In fact, at times he almost considered believing it himself. Would believing make his life easier or harder? He couldn't guess.
"I wonder, but either way, this isn't what you need."
She looked into his eyes. "Perhaps not, but it's what I want."


2 comments:

Elysa said...

Hi Dawn,

Thanks so much for having Brandon and me here to visit today. Brandon is eager for everyone to hear his story.

Rose Anderson said...

I really enjoyed Brandon's interview today, Elysa. He sounds dreamy. Best luck.
:)
Rose

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...