Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Welcome Emmie Harrison


Welcome to Dawn’s Reading Nook, Emmie Harrison. Please let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink and make yourself at home. Comfortable? Great…now let’s get down to business.

So tell us about yourself. What got you interested in writing? Who are your publisher(s)?

Well, I'm a shy person by nature, however I'm trying to break out of my shell a bit. I'm a wife to the best man in the world, a mom of 2 beautiful kids and an ex-engineer. And I wouldn't have it any other way since my true passion has always been writing and making the choices I have, has allowed me to pursue that not to mention spend time with my children and husband. I'm also an avid tea drinker. Seriously, I drink several cups a day. Hot or iced, tea is my drink of choice. If not tea, give me milk!

As for writing, it's something I've always been interested in doing. In fact, I really can't remember a time I wasn't wanting to write. I've been reading since a fairly young age, and chapter books at that, and the first thing I wrote was a mystery book at around the age of 8 that was reminiscent of a Nancy Drew novel, albeit very watered down.

Presently, I publish with Breathless Press and couldn't be happier with them. They're a great bunch. Friendly, supportive, motivating. I love that everyone encourages everyone else and it's wonderful just how helpful everyone is in making sure that you know what to do to best promote yourself and the like.

How did you start your writing career?

I got lucky and was nudged to pursue an online submission call for e-publishing. I was hesitant, but did it anyway. The rest, as we say, is history.

Tell us about your favorite character(s) from your books.

Oh, this is tough. Presently, I only have one book published. A novella. In that book there are 3 prominent characters, 2 of which are the mains. Hrmm, as for a favorite? I'd probably have to say George Flinders is my favorite. I like a good strong male character and I personally think he embodies that.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

There are so many places I'd love to travel to. Places like Korea, Japan, Ireland and Australia. However, there's no place like home in the long run. For as much as it is fun to travel, I always love returning home. In a lot of ways, I'm a home body.

Tell us about your current/upcoming release. What inspired it?

My current release is "Precious Polly" and it's a part of Breathless Press' Naughty Nursery Rhymes line. The rhyme that inspired it specifically is Little Polly Flinders. However, what inspired the presentation of the story were themes near and dear to me along with inspirations from the great and talented Jane Austen, one of my favorite authors.
Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?

Overall, not really. For the most part I am self taught. I did learn how to do technical writing during my grad school years from my thesis advisor, but that sort of writing is hardly the same thing when it comes to writing a novel. It's like apples and oranges. However, I have learned several things from my book editor at Breathless Press and I really do think that's improved my writing over recent months by leaps and bounds. So, I owe her a great deal.

Who are some of your favorite authors/books?

Well, Jane Austen is definitely one of my favorite authors. I'm also a fan of JRR Tolkien, Laurell K. Hamilton, JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Nalini Singh, Sherrilyn Kenyon and JK Rowling to name a few.

What was your first sale as an author?

"Precious Polly" is my debut book and it released on March 9, 2012.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I don't have a scheduled time in which I write and this is mainly because my daily schedule can be a bit unpredictable given my kids. They are both young and for me to work well I need to have little distraction, so as such, my schedule can be quite erratic. But, I don't mind this for now. Given this however, I've found that the best times tend to be either later at night or early in the morning… when they're still sleeping. Provided my muse cooperates of course. :)
If you could visit any time and place, where and when would it be and why?
Difficult question actually. My favorite era in history is around the time of the French Revolution. And though it would be a scary time in which to live, it would be fascinating to see things first hand, just to be able to claim you witnessed the events.
If you could be any shape shifter, what form would you take and why?
Another difficult questions. Probably a cat. I'm affectionate by nature and love cats in general. Plus, I have an affinity for them over most animals.
What else would you like readers to know about you or your work?
Though my debut and upcoming projects are currently having a somewhat historical theme to them, I'm not a solely historical romance/erotica writer. I actually like to write romance stories in several genres. I love paranormal, modern, fantasy, science fiction, you name it! I don't discriminate as to which genre I stick to. I more or less let my creativity and the ideas that come to me dictate what genre I write in. So sometimes one will dominate over another at various times.
Who's more fun to write: bad boys or perfect gentlemen and why?

Oh, it totally depends on the mood. When the mood strikes hot for one type, you just roll with that. I personally think it's fun to write both. Though it's rather fun to write the 'bad boy' who has a softer side that only his special someone gets to see. There's something rather appealing about that.

If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be and what would you do together?

Any fictional character? Oh my goodness… there are so many to choose from! Well, if we stick to books only, I'd have to say probably Meriadoc Brandybuck from Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. He's my absolute favorite character from those books! And what would we do? Why make mischief of course!

Out of all your books, do you have a favorite one? If not, then which one is closest to your heart?

Presently, I only have one published book and that is "Precious Polly." And I'm currently very happy with it. I've gotten some very good feedback thus far and couldn't be more pleased.

What character out of all your books is the closest to your personality?

Given I only have one book published so far, I suppose in a sense I can relate to Polly. I definitely march to the beat of my own drum. Maybe not to the same beat as hers, but definitely not to the same beat as most.
Anything else you would like to add?

Those of you who've read my book, "Precious Polly," thank you and I hope you all enjoy! Those of you who haven't, I hope you will! It can be purchased at Breathless Press or on Amazon.com. I personally think you will all be in for a fun read.

Precious Polly by Emmie Harrison
A Naughty Nursery Rhyme Story
Breathless Press
Erotic Historical/Regency BDSM, D/s
Buy at http://www.breathlesspress.com/precious-polly

When Polly meets the handsome Mr. Flinders, he shows her a whole new world of discipline.

Polly is unlike the other eligible young ladies in her town. She cannot play the pianoforte and has no desire to sit about, acting hostess at boring parties those of her social status are known for having. She'd much rather let her dreams and fancy take over, whisking her thoughts away so that she can place focus on more interesting things.
When Mr. Flinders decides that it is he who must tutor her in the art of the pianoforte, opening her up to the idea of becoming an accomplished lady, he reveals a very different method of discipline than she's used to. One that leaves her aching for more and willing to do whatever it is he asks of her.

Excerpt:
 
"Oh, good sir!" Mrs. Woodmore replied. "That would be most wonderful! Perhaps she'll be more inclined to listen to you. Goodness knows she never does me."

"Mother," Polly chided, her cheeks burning crimson.

"Then it is settled." Mr. Flinders turned to look at Polly. She marveled over his face, warm and handsome, so full of presence.

Mrs. Woodmore, who seemed more than happy, curtsied and dismissed herself from both her daughter's and Mr. Flinders' presence. As she left the two standing together in the foyer, she hummed happily until she finally disappeared into another room.
"Miss Woodmore," Mr. Flinders then added after Polly's mother had left them alone. "From now on, I am your teacher. Do you understand this?"

Polly just stared at the man, her eyebrows furrowed. Still looking at him, she knew her expression had gone blank, making her appear...lost.
Mr. Flinders moved closer to Polly, his body mere inches away from hers. "You are to do as I tell you now. You are my charge. If you disobey, there will be discipline."
Polly's eyes widened as a wave of fear washed over her. "Discipline, sir?"

Mr. Flinders chuckled. "Yes, my dear Miss Woodmore." He paused a moment. "Miss Woodmore. That's so formal, isn't it?" he asked, though he clearly wasn't asking for Polly to reply. "Since you are now under my care, I shall call you Polly. You, however, will still refer to me as Mr. Flinders until I tell you differently." Again Mr. Flinders paused. "Do you understand what I am telling you, Polly?"

Swallowing while blinking rapidly, Polly nodded her head. "I do believe so, Mr. Flinders."

Mr. Flinders gave Polly another dazzling smile. "Do not be so worried, Polly. If you do not understand, you will in time. I will see to that." He took her hand in his own and brushed his lips against it, so soft, so gentle. "I shall leave you for today, Polly. But tomorrow, I expect you at my estate no later than ten in the morning. I will not tolerate tardiness."

Polly gave Mr. Flinders another nod. "I will be there on time then, Mr. Flinders."

"Indeed you will." At that, Mr. Flinders gave Polly a bow and saw himself out.

Polly stood there for several minutes, trying to understand what had just happened. So quickly this man, one she'd met by pure circumstance in the wood, was turning her life upside down. As she tried to process it all, her lips suddenly began to turn upward into a smile. Yes, everything was straying from the path she'd seen so clearly before her. Now it was dark, full of mystery, and oh, how she found that exhilarating.
 

No comments:

New Book Review: The Best Life Book Club by Sheila Roberts

  The Best Life Book Club Sheila Roberts Mira Books Release date: May 7th, 2024 Available at Amazon Add to Your Goodreads My Rating for The ...