Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Day Blog Hop Stop/Contest

 Contest Information is at end so make sure to read till the very end to see how to win a $10 ARe gift card.

I love Valentine's Day with a passion. The romance..the chocolate
*grins*  Defiantly can't forget the candy. ;-) It doesn't matter if I was single or with someone. Valentine's meant I could spoil myself if I was single or someone spoiled me if I wasn't.

This weekend's posts are all about some facts about Valentine's Day.

Did you know approximately 150 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine's Day the second most popular card-sending holiday after Christmas?

 Today, according to the Greeting Card Association, an estimated 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are sent each year, making Valentine's Day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year. Women purchase approximately 85 percent of all valentines.
(Information was found HERE)

Did you know the romantic festival of Valentine's Day is said to have originated in pagan times in Rome when people celebrated annual fertility festival called Feast of Lupercalia in mid-February?

 A unique custom of the festival was the mating of young boys and girls for a year through a lottery system. Quite often the couple would fall in love and marry.
(Information was found HERE)

Some customs that have happened through the ages in regards to Valentine's Day are:
  • exchange of love notes called ‘Valentines' by lovers. The tradition is said to have initiated in 1415 by Charles, Duke of Orleans who sent the first known Valentine Day card to his wife from prison.
  •  Valentine's Day is the second biggest Valentine's Day card-giving holiday after Christmas. There is also the tradition of gifting flowers, chocolates besides other gifts of love on Valentine's Day as an expression of love. 
  •  Going on a date with one's Valentine is another popular tradition of Valentine's Day festival. Candle light dinners or evening together in a park are an all-time favorite dating idea in present times.

A few romantic movies that couples or even singles watch are:
  • Casablanca
  •  Breakfast at Tiffany's
  •  Love Story
  •  Titanic
  •  Pretty Woman
  •  City of Angels
  •  Love Actually
  •  The Lake House
  • My Best Friend's Wedding
  • The Fountain
  • The Science of Sleep
  • Roman Holiday
Information was found HERE

This is just a fraction of what Valentine's is about. No matter what you do on this day, always have fun with your girlfriends, kids or significant other.

Now onto the contest...The blog hop runs from Feb. 11th to Feb. 14th and ends at midnight on Feb. 14th. To enter to win a $10 All Romance e-Gift Card, you need to comment with your email address or else I can't contact you in case you win, about your funniest, worst, sweetest Valentine's day memory was. I will pick a winner on Feb. 15th after 10 am EST (USA).

To see who else is participating in the blog hop, go HERE and click on the author's name to go to their blog. Good Luck.









20 comments:

Denise Z said...

I am not so sure my guy would watch one of these movies ;) but I love, love, love the Lake House it was awesome and so romantic. Another for me is Shall We Dance with Richard Gere - so romantic. Thank you for sharing the Valentine joy!
dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

Debby said...

I will tell me worst when my hubby gave me car wash coupons. He never did that again
Debby236 at gmail dot com

Lisa said...

The sweetest was when I was still working and my husband sent me flowers for the first time with a lovely handwritten note.

Thanks for the giveaway!

lkbherring64(at)gmail(dot)com

Fiona McGier said...

Bleah! I hate those kinds of movies! For our first real date, husband took me to the drive-in, we sat on the hood of his car and drank beer and watched "Conan the Barbarian" with Arnold. I loved it! He decided I was a "keeper"!

We celebrate our romance (after 30 years and 4 kids) with an overnight somewhere in December, when we met, and June for our wedding anniversary. Most memorable Valentines Day? When the kids were small and money was tight--he saved his lunch money for 2 weeks to give me a single rose, and the check-out girl called him cheap. He was almost ashamed to give it to me, but I cried because I knew what it meant to him...I still feel so lucky!
fiona.mcgier@gmail.com

Cathy M said...

One of my funniest was the first year we were married and he sent a singing gorilla to my work with a bouquet of flowers. Since it was my first week at that job it created quite a commotion, but was sure a great way to make friends.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

I'll never forget the year I got a flower arrangement with no card. My boyfriend, at the time, denied having sent them & was pretty pissed that I got flowers from someone else. I was pretty pissed he forgot Vday. Turned out my mom sent them.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

June M. said...

One of the sweetest V'days that just came to my mind was when I was in my mid 20's & on bed rest with blood clots and my sister brought her 3 kids over. We were all curled up on a pull out sofa bed in the living room, watching movies and eating popcorn. It definitely helped to pass the time.
June
manning_J2004 at yahoo dot com

Ashley E said...

One of my favorite Valentines was a few years ago when my dad got me a stuffed kitty since I can't have a real one. I treasure that thing. :)

ashley.vanburen[at]gmail[dot]com

Unknown said...

One of the sweetest was getting my favorite flowers at work! I'm not a roses girl and it was wonderful that DH remembered that!

stardf (AT) gmail.com

Cayce said...

I think my favorite was getting chocolates from my first boyfriend. A sweet memory. :P I don't have a worse one...but I don't like it when I'm alone on Valentine's Day...

Thank you for the giveaway!
Happy Valentine's Day!
cayce006 at yahoo dot com

JeanMP said...

Favorite valentine's memory, the year my husband gave me red roses and took me out to a fancy restaurant.
Happy Valentine's Day
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Rain said...

I don't have any big Valentine's Day memories, but it's always sweet when someone remembers. Even an email is nice. :)

(my email is in my Blogger profile)

nancy said...

My husband bought me lace pantyhose but they were too small. I secretly exchanged them for a larger size. Both sweet and funny and hot.

Jennifer L. said...

Love actually is one of my faves as well. Glad to see it made your list as well

jslindzy @ hotmail.com

Ashley Applebee said...

My sweetest Valentine's Day memory is last year getting my gorgeous engagement ring from my equally gorgeous fiance!
Ashley A
ash_app@hotmail.com

Loveless3173 said...

Thank you for this giveaway..

and to be honest... I don't have a V-day memory or whatever to share. I haven't experience that yet. I'm rather happy being single and just trying to finish my classes that I want. I want my career before I let something as... (from as far as I can see from my friends and family) annoying as a boyfriend or love pulling me down right now.

I LOVE reading romance book, but as far as my real life goes, I am NOT touching that with a 50 foot stick just yet. lol...

Judi
arella3173_loveless(at)yahoo(dot)com

June Kramin said...

I am pretty much the only woman I know that doesn't like chocolate. Once, I was given a box with all the chocolate cut off. The guy wrote "un" in front of chocolates. They were still tainted & I didn't like them but it score points for thought! :D
june [at] junekramin[dot]com

menina.iscrazy said...

I've never really dated but, my favorite moment from a movie has to be Pride and Prejudic (the BBC version) where Darcy is walking up to his house after he's been swimming and he's all wet. Then Elizabeth seems him. It's awkward and funny and the moment where everything starts changing for the better. :)

menina.iscrazy @ yahoo.com

Erica Pike said...

Aw man, I feel like such an outsider. We don't celebrate Valentine's over here (Iceland), so I don't have any of those kind of memories.

I did end up with the same guy for 17 year though, before we got divorced last year, and he's a funny guy, so I'll just use those memories instead, deal?

Okay, the first romantic thing he ever did was to phone up all the girls in school who had long names starting with an "S". He didn't catch my name (loud music at a club), but heard it was very long. Cute, right? He'll make some other woman happy in the future with his silly-but-cute antics ^.^

Erica

eripike at gmail dot com

Pam S (pams00) said...

I don't seem to have any Vday romantic memories.. funny, or otherwise. I do love watching romantic films and reading romance novels during the month of Feb - e specially VDAY which is what I did most of today :D.

pams00 @ aol.com

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...