Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Personal Review for Pee-A-Boo by Andrea Speed

I love a book that has me laughing so hard not even five pages into it. Andrea Speed has a new series called Josh of the Damned and it involves monsters that like to visit the Quik Mart for munchies in the middle of the night when he is working. What transpires is something that will leave you wishing to visit the store yourself.

My review for Peek-A-Boo (Josh of the damned book 2)


Josh is the late night cashier at the local Quik Mart. His customers are not the normal run of people he imagines that come to a corner store. Nope, he has to deal with zombies wanting munchies, werewolves trying to chase the cars in the parking lot and an occasional vampire. What Josh doesn’t expect is a yeti coming to visit. A lovesick yeti. Human criminals. What’s next? Poor Josh has no idea what normal is anymore when the hell portal monsters save him from a robbery. 

Andrea Speed is one of my favorite authors. Heck I adore this author's Infected series so when I saw her new short story series at Riptide, I was thrilled. The author hooked me in the first book, Pretty Monsters and I was thrilled to see book 2, Peek-A-Boo, did the same. I laughed then laughed some more. Poor Josh is a ll I thought when I read his adventures with the monsters that come out of the hell portal in the parking lot. That poor guy  has a lot to deal with and then you add in a lovesick yeti. OMG...get ready to howl in enjoyment as he tries to make this...monster, who could probably break him in two, that roadkill is not the form of currency here in the human world.

The characters are diverse, entertaining and had me gleefully anticipating the next page. The author does an amazing job creating a rich and diverse world to enjoy in just under twenty pages. That is quite a feat since I have read similar short stories and they fall quite flat. Andrea Speed delivers a howling good time with Peek-A-Boo and I can attest, I can not wait for book three. I just hope it won't be too long of a wait.

If you are looking for laughter amid monsters (zombies with a craving for Burritos???!! Who knew. A hot vampire boyfriend for Josh. Crazy humans)-paranormal and human alike-then grab Peek-A-Boo and settle in for a story that will leave a smile on your face. 

My rating for Peek-A-Boo: 3.5 Stars

Find Peek-A-Boo at Riptide as well as the first book, Pretty Monsters.


1 comment:

Havan said...

Okay Dawn...this one is definitely making me curious! Thanks for the review - can't wait to read the first one...:)

New Book Review: The Best Life Book Club by Sheila Roberts

  The Best Life Book Club Sheila Roberts Mira Books Release date: May 7th, 2024 Available at Amazon Add to Your Goodreads My Rating for The ...