Thursday, July 21, 2011

Introducing S. L. Danielson

Welcome the lovely and talented S. L. Danielson to Dawn's Reading Nook Blog.

When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, I’m going to write a novel?

Seriously…when I was about 12. I’d written my entire life, but that was my true inspirational point. At the age of 34 I finally released my first
novel.

If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing you do?

Outline things better.

Do you have the support of family and friends?

Somewhat. My parents know what I write, but we don’t discuss it except for sales and new books coming out; most especially who the characters are, etc. I had a run-in with an uncle of mine who railed on me for writing what I do. Others are mediocre on it or not aware. It’s not a big topic of discussion.


Do you have a book coming out? If so what?

Yes, Ranch Hands…which is a returning book. In 2010 I write it in about three weeks time and released it. It was a smash hit! However…something nagged at me to redo it…(I try to stifle this voice now that says to do this) so, Ranch Hands Reharvested was born. Then I met a publisher earlier this year that wanted to print it and so it had to be pulled due to contract
issues. In April, it went away. Now…I’m no longer under contract (Publisher folded)…so it is mine again and I’m thrilled!

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?

I try to put in a good measure of fiction mixed with my own life and knowledge. I spent 20 years watching melodrama and soap operas, so there’s my drama/angst, plus I am a business major, so therein lies the brevity. I don’t over-detail anything.

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?

Go with the flow. When it hits, I hit the keyboard.

What do you have coming up? Any teasers you want to give us?

I can give you some info on the upcoming release from Silver called “My Fair Vampire”. This is a co-authored work with Julie Hayes and our 1st effort. After some discussions, we wanted to do a historical theme…the book was born. It’s set in 1904 at the World Fair in St. Louis with a Russian vampire and a reporter from Utah. They just happen to meet and have a romance together…but will it go beyond the fair? It’s due out in October.

Also, there is a Ranch Hands 2; Jerry’s Season. Anyone familiar with the first book knows who Jerry is. The town slut and drunk. He wants to turn his life around but has both a past lover and a new one vying for his affections. Who will win?

What is your writing routine once you start a book?

It used to be an outline and then fill in the blanks with ideas the cropped up. Anymore, it’s a starter on the characters (whom I detail out) but then let them speak to me. It never ends up the way it’s plotted out. These boys have other ideas.

Fill in the blank favorites - Dessert. City. Season. Type of hero. Type of
heroine.

Cheesecake. None yet. Fall. Loyal. Strong.

What are some of your favorite things to do, or your hobbies?

I like to ride my bike (with my dad and nephew sometimes), chat with people, shoot pool, darts, bowl, and sing karaoke. Also love to play all kinds of games from poker to Monopoly.

Who are some of your other favorite authors and/or genres to read?

Other favs are my co-author Julie, William Maltese, Armistead Maupin.

Which of your books has been the easiest to write?  The hardest?  The most fun?

Easiest was “Ranch Hands”. Hardest was “For the Heart of Phillip”. The most fun was “My Fair Vampire.”


Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting?


The character. They are everything!

If we asked your muse to tell us three things about you, what do you think they might say?

He’d say this girl is crazy in love with writing, loves her games, and is a workhorse!


What is your favorite season and why?

Fall. It’s not hot, not cold, leaves change, I can ride my bike without feeling like I’m going to die.

Congratulations, your novel was just picked up by a major Hollywood studio. They are letting you cast the characters. Name the book you would choose to be made into a movie and who you think would play those characters.

Definitely “For the Heart of Phillip”…but I know none of these young actors out there, so I’d definitely choose unknowns.

If you could choose anywhere in the world to set up your desk and write, where would you like it to be? What’s so special to you about this place?

I’d probably choose the Appalachian Mountains. I was born in them, I love them, it’s beautiful and calm.

Ranch Hands by S. L. Danielson
Buy Links:
www.amazon.com
www.smashwords.com
www.lulu.com
http://silverpublishing.info
www.allromanceebooks.com

The story of two men mistreated by past lovers willing to take a chance on real love.  Sid Rosen is a 34 year old rancher who inherited financial trouble with his father's ranch.  Roger Laramie is a younger man fresh from an abusive relationship and whose heart is as big as all outdoors.  When these two men's lives come together to save Sid's ranch so do their hearts.

The passion each feels for the other begins as a banked fire but as they get to know one another that fire begins to grow. Can they overcome the mistrust and abuses of the past to finally grow a harvest of love?

Refugees by S. L. Danielson


Sequel to “For the Heart of Phillip”. This tale picks up where the other left off; except following the two men who were left behind with broken hearts, Robert and David.

Robert, who lost his battle for the heart of Phillip, and David, who lost out on his chance with Andrew.
Can they bond together over their shared pain and  heartbreak or will the ‘old feelings’ come back to haunt them again after a crisis happens with one of their exes?

Buckle up for a dramatic ride in these two men’s lives who go from strangers to friends to lovers to who –knows-what!

Buy links:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052MT7TQ

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/61854

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-refugees-549469-145.html

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/refugees/15827276

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/refugees/15827256

1 comment:

DawnsReadingNook said...

Thanks for dropping by SL.

I have For the heart of Phillip on my reading list. :) Might have to get to it now.

Book Tour Stop/Giveaway: The Au Pair's Deception

  She was looking for a fresh start, but some families hide dark truths behind closed doors. The Au Pair’s Deception by C.J. Covino Genr...