This
Halloween, Witches Are Saving the World!
By
Kelli A. Wilkins
Hello and Happy October Everyone!
Halloween
will be here before we know it, so why not start the spooky season with a
collection of stories about witches? Witches Save the World: Covens, Cauldrons, and
Curses Gone Right is a new anthology by Gorgon’s Gaze Press.
My story “Neighborhood Watch” appears in this book,
and today I’m sharing an inside look on how and why I wrote it. But first,
here’s the book blurb and links.
Witches Save the World: Covens, Cauldrons, and Curses Gone Right
Order
your print or ebook copy here:
Amazon Paperback: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0HBPGVBNS
Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Witches-Save-World-Covens-Cauldrons-ebook/dp/B0GZ547GQH
Want
more platforms? Visit: https://eternalhauntedsummer.com/gorgons-gaze-press/ for all the book links.
***
My story, “Neighborhood Watch” is about a group of witches who keep their neighborhood a happy and peaceful place to live. But one October, someone threatens their way of life and has to be dealt with. The witches solve their problem, in their own way, of course… and with a little bit of outside help.
I
mention in my author bio that my story is based (in part) on a true incident. Here’s
the short version of what happened: A few years ago, a woman came to my door
pushing her religion and ranting about my Halloween/Samhain decorations being
evil. When I told her to leave (and firmly closed the door in her face), she
smashed a couple of my Jack-o-lanterns!
Later
that day when I went for a walk, the idea for the story popped into my head. It
was pretty basic – a guy moves into a house and discovers that his neighbors
are witches who protect the town. Nobody knows about them, and favorable things
happen to people who stay on their good side. But if you cross them… well,
let’s just say they call in a few favors and life really can become hellish!
I
wrote a very rough first draft that day and set the story aside while I worked
on other projects. Earlier this year I decided to finish it “just for fun” and
see what happened. The story took on a life of its own and changed a bit as I
revised it, but the basic premise remains. I thought it would be a perfect fit
for the Witches Save the World
anthology. (And it was!) I enjoyed writing it, and I hope readers like it. It’s
not a scary story, and it has a dash of sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek-humor that
makes it a fun read.
I’ve always been attracted to witches and the power
they wield. I loved Endora (from Bewitched)
and the lighthearted havoc she caused, and I thought Sam was too goody-goody.
(If you have powers, why not use them?) I’ve never liked the degrading
depiction of “crone” witches with green faces, pointed hats, and warts. (And I
incorporated that into my story).
I like the fact that most witches are strong,
independent women who don’t ask permission to live their lives the way they
want to. They don’t wait around hoping someone will solve their problems for
them. They stand up for themselves. They take action when they see an injustice
and handle the situation in their own way. Witches have an internal strength
and vibrate a bit differently from other people because they’re connected to
something eternal, powerful, and larger than themselves. They can blend into a crowd,
but if you get close to them, you can tell there’s something else going on
under the surface. And as my story shows, there might be a witch living next
door!
“Neighborhood
Watch” is my first short story about witches, but my historical romance The
Viking’s Witch explores the subject in depth. (Read all about that book
here: https://www.kelliwilkins.com/the-viking-s-witch ).
I have ideas for two more stories about witches, and I might start writing them
this autumn. After all, tis the season!
I hope you’ll check out this great collection of art,
poems, and short fiction. It’s the perfect way to get ready for Halloween!
Happy Haunting!
Kelli
A. Wilkins
ABOUT
THE AUTHOR
Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has
published more than 100 short stories, 24 romance novels, and 9
mystery/thriller/horror ebooks. Her romances span many genres and settings, and
she likes to scare readers with her horror, mystery, and thriller fiction.
Kelli’s story “Neighborhood Watch” was
published in the Witches Save the World:
Covens, Cauldrons, and Curses Gone Right anthology,
released by Gorgon's Gaze Press.
Her latest book, The Route 9 Stalker, was
published in January 2026. This mystery/thriller is set in Central NJ and
follows Detective Jim Rourke on a disturbing new case. Meet him for the first
time in The Route 9 Killer.
Kelli's 24th romance, For Love’s Sake, an epic
historical/fantasy romantic adventure, was published in January 2025.
Follow Kelli on her Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKelliWilkins and visit her website/blog www.KelliWilkins.com
for a full title list, social media links, and more.



No comments:
Post a Comment