Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Guest Author Day with Morticia Knight


Title of Post: How Long is Too Long for a Series?
  
Wow. I can’t believe that Kink Aware is the ninth book in the Kiss of Leather series! For me, it’s the longest series I’ve ever written. Most of mine have wrapped up at between five to eight books, as has been the case with many series I’ve read. Trilogies are also enormously popular, but typically involve the same couple. But on occasion, I’ve seen much longer series spanning many years, with some even reaching way beyond twenty books (Nancy Drew, anyone?). I don’t know if I could do that as an author or a reader. But does that make it a bad thing?

It’s funny, I used to only read standalones. I’m not sure when series became more of the industry standard, but it seems that writing a series has been mandatory for quite a while. Long series aren’t confined to romance, of course, so no matter what genre I seek out, multi-book series are what I’m going to find. I’ve discovered that everyone has their own series reading style. Some wait until the series is over before they begin. Others watch for and grab each installment as it hits the virtual shelves. Then there are those who are more apt to read a series they enjoy as soon as they get around to it. Perhaps they’re juggling several at once, so go for the one that they’re more in the mood for at the time. That tends to be me!

When I began Kiss of Leather three and a half years ago, I didn’t plan for it to be this long. It originally was supposed to be in the neighborhood of five or six books, my usual series’ length. I wanted to make sure I told the stories of the three club owners and the two investigators who are a part of the mystery sub-plot that spanned books two through seven. But as I became more immersed in the world and readers wanted other characters’ stories, I found the plot bunnies attacking me from right to left! I mean, how could I leave Tobey or Liam—subs who were hurting and had small roles in earlier books—without their ever-afters? Then Elliot, the insecure bartender who showed up briefly for the grand opening of the club couldn’t be left by the wayside either. Which then brings me to Kink Aware, the current book.

I first wrote Cruella, the soft-spoken, genderqueer ex-model as one of the patrons of the tattoo shop Liam and his Master Neal jointly own with Ray. Not only did readers take notice of the small role Cruella played in books six and seven, they wanted to know their story. As it turns out, so did I. It would’ve been a natural ending after book seven (when the sub-plot mystery was resolved), but I couldn’t do it. There was Elliot, Cruella and when it came down to it, Heath the thrift-shop owner who comforted Neal, and Aron, Tobey’s friend who is still in Idaho hiding his orientation from his Mormon parents. What does that mean for the series? It means twelve installments total are planned for 2019, which will then lead to a spin-off series! Remember Van, Sa’id, Garson and Jarvis from Jordan’s Club Consequence? Yeah. I’m going there.

What about you? Do you wait for a series to conclude before you bother starting it, or do you have to read that new installment the second it hits your ereader? If you haven’t started the Kiss of Leather series yet, though, have no fear! Cruella and Ray’s story can be read as a standalone. However, if you’d like more context as to how the club began, then you’re in luck. Right now, Building Bonds (Kiss of Leather 1) is available for free!



Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2ACmHCN
Pride Publishing: https://bit.ly/2zBi24q


Genre: Gay BDSM Romance
Publisher:  Pride Publishing

R Excerpt:

Cruella took the contracts from him. “Let’s sit on the couch and go over these together.”
“Sure.” Ray nodded then drew his eyebrows together as something struck him. “Aren’t I supposed to answer you with an honorific? Like…” His frown deepened. “What would work?”
Cruella patted the cushion next to them. “We can start off by discussing that. I’ve already been thinking about what I’d be happy with.”
Ray hurried to join them. “Okay. What about me? Are you going to call me, you know…”
His face heated in record time. He didn’t fully understand the particulars of everything they were doing, couldn’t grasp why certain things got him so hard and were so natural in the moment, yet he felt weird discussing them out loud.
He sat with his thigh pressed against Cruella’s. When he’d initially taken a seat, he hadn’t meant to sit so close, but it turned out he needed it, needed the reassurance. Cruella took his hand and laced their fingers together.
“Boy? Is that what you were going to say?”
Ray couldn’t meet their gaze. “Yeah.” He had to chuckle at himself. After taking in a deep breath, he met their eyes. “It turns me on. But it also puts me in that headspace with you where you’re the one in control.”
“Good. It works the same for me. And I’ve considered the various honorifics, and for the most part, they’re not appropriate. Too gender specific. I don’t mind being referred to as your Dominant or Top, since those are neutral.  But when you answer to me directly, use my name. ‘Yes, Cruella’ is all you need to say. No pet names while we’re playing, that would be the one restriction.”
Ray glanced at his copy of the contract then back at Cruella. “Is that the kind of thing we’d write down?”
Cruella handed him a pen. “The perfect thing. This way, we’re clear on what to expect.”
What about the good stuff?
“All right.”
Ray made a note at the top where they were supposed to place their names and titles for when they were in a scene. He tapped the pen against the paper when he was finished, biting his lip to keep himself from pestering Cruella with what sort of kinks they should explore and what punishments he’d get for misbehaving. Like the dirty boy I am. Ray dropped his head in his hands. Jesus. What’s happened to me?
Cruella nudged him with their elbow. “Focus, baby. I’m guessing it’s a good thing I brought the cock cage over tonight.”
Ray straightened, his eyes going wide. “Oh, damn. You want me to focus? After you tell me that?”
Cruella shook a finger at him. “You’re going to sit here and behave, or you won’t get the spanking you’ve been hinting at all week.”
Busted. “Okay. I’ll be good.”
They cupped his package and squeezed hard. “I know you will, because you’re Cruella’s best boy, aren’t you?”
Ray gasped, his teeth gritting. He nodded jerkily as he struggled to keep his composure.
“That’s not how you respond to your Dominant, now is it, boy?”
“No, Cruella. It isn’t. I apologize.”
They loosened their grip then slowly removed their hand from his aching balls. Cruella grinned. “That’s much better.”
Ray licked his lips. He had the feeling he was in for one hell of a night.


Author Bio & Links:

Author Morticia Knight spends most of her nights writing about men loving men forever after. If there happens to be some friendly bondage or floggings involved, she doesn’t begrudge her characters whatever their filthy little hearts desire. Even though she’s been crafting her naughty tales for more years than she’d like to share—her adventures as a published author began in 2011. Since then, she’s been fortunate enough to have several books on bestseller lists along with titles receiving recognition in the Rainbow Book Awards, Divine Magazine and Love Romance Café.

Once upon a time she was the lead singer in an indie rock band that toured the West Coast and charted on U.S. college radio. She currently resides on the North Oregon coast and when she’s not fantasizing about hot men, she takes walks along the ocean and annoys the local Karaoke bar patrons.

Morticia’s Social links:
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/2q2I2Do


No comments:

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...