Sunday, September 2, 2018

Guest Author day with Kelli A. Wilkins



Think Historical Romances Are Boring? Think Again!
By Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins

Hi Everyone,
Recently, a woman told me that she loved romances, but didn’t read historicals because they were boring. I replied, “Some of them might be, but not mine—far from it!” I’m not sure if I convinced her to try historicals, but our conversation got me wondering, why do some romance readers think historicals are dull?
Maybe they were turned off by boring history lessons in school, or they think nothing exciting happened in the days before electricity and the Internet. Perhaps they tried a historical romance ages ago and it was weighted down with hard-to-read language or endless “boring” details.
I write historical, gay, paranormal, and contemporary romances. People often ask me how I can switch genres so easily. “What’s the trick?” they want to know. Well, the trick is… there is none. Writing historical romances is pretty much like writing contemporaries. I use the same basic storytelling techniques—an interesting plot, sympathetic characters, and the right mix of backstory, setting, and details that draw readers into the story and keep them there.
Just because historical romances are set in time periods before cars and cell phones, that doesn’t (or shouldn’t) make them boring. There is plenty of action, adventure, intrigue, danger, comedy, and sensual love scenes. And these are the same elements that go into making a compelling contemporary romance.
The key to writing an appealing historical is to create characters who are engaging and lively. I don’t have “stuffy shirts” making long-winded speeches about politics, law, or anything not crucial to the storyline. You won’t find me (or my characters) giving anyone a history lesson!
I bring my historical romances “out of the history books” and into the everyday lives of my characters. I focus on how the hero and heroine meet, fall in love, overcome their obstacles and challenges, and eventually live happily-ever-after. And they are far from shy when it comes to having fun in the bedroom! The heat levels in my romances vary from mildly sensual to super-scorching hot—depending on the characters and their storylines.
Some of my heroines are virgins waiting to meet the love of their life (Michelle from Loving a Wild Stranger), while others want to explore their sexuality (Cassie from Lies, Love & Redemption). Many of my heroines are far from virginal (Shauna from Dangerous Indenture) and aren’t shy about giving in to their desires, despite the so-called impropriety of the times. (Check out my historical/fantasy trilogy Midsummer Night’s Delights, Midwinter Night’s Delights, and Ultimate night’s Delights for more on that. These erotic novellas gave readers who thought historicals were boring and stodgy a real shock!)
As I’m writing, I only include the historical details and descriptions that are integral to the story. I don’t bog down the plot with a step-by-step procedure for churning butter, or go into an endless description of how to unfasten a corset (unless it’s befuddling the hero who’s eager to remove it!). In a way, it’s “harder” to write historicals because of the amount of research involved, but I get to explore different time periods, characters, and settings—then let my imagination run free as I write.
For example, when I wrote The Viking’s Witch, I researched Norsemen, their customs, habits, and life in 802 Scotland. Some of the interesting things I learned in my research I added into the storyline or weaved into the background, but I couldn’t use everything. It was important for me to convey the flavor of the time period while keeping the reader hooked and the plot moving.
Every romance genre has its fans. Some people like to read contemporary romances, others live for paranormals, and there are those who switch up genres and read anything that sounds appealing. I like writing historicals—but I also write contemporary, paranormal, fantasy, and gay romances, too. Why? Because I enjoy writing about interesting characters that fall in love, whenever and wherever that may be.
If you’ve never read historical romances, give them a try! You might just find yourself swept away to a long ago time period in a place far away…
Happy Reading,
Kelli A. Wilkins

Here are the summaries from two of my (very different!) historical romances, Redemption from a Dark Past, and Lies, Love & Redemption. Enjoy!


REDEMPTION FROM A DARK PAST

Lord Sebestyen Adrik has an unsavory reputation as a madman, murderer… and worse. Lonely and searching for love, he seeks the companionship of local young women, hoping one of them will ease his torment and bring him the happiness he longs for. Katarina is his last chance—but will she fear him like all the others? Or is she the one who can lift his curse?
Desperate to avoid a forced marriage, Katarina agrees to become Lord Adrik’s latest companion, despite the rumors she has heard about him. She discovers the “Dark Lord’s” secret past and realizes he’s not the monster everyone thinks he is.
As their love blossoms, she renews his passion for life—yet they cannot escape the ghosts of the past.
When a meeting of the nobility goes horribly wrong, Sebestyen’s world unravels, and his enemies plot to destroy him. As all seems lost, a mysterious stranger arrives at the castle. Sebestyen must decide if he is a friend or a foe…and if he can find redemption in his love for Katarina, or lose her and everything else that he holds dear.
***
Link to all other platforms: https://www.books2read.com/u/3R1aYD

***

LIES, LOVE & REDEMPTION

Shot and left for dead, Sam Hixton stumbles into a general store on the Nebraska prairie and collapses into the arms of Cassie Wilcox.

Cassie’s world is turned upside down when the handsome stranger drops into her life. Sam is another complication she doesn’t need: her business is dying and her trouble with the townspeople is escalating. Yet she’s determined to keep the store open — no matter what the cost.

As Sam recovers from his injuries, he hides the truth about his identity and convinces Cassie to let him work in the store. He’s attracted to her and admires her independent nature but quickly realizes Cassie’s in way over her head. They fight their growing attraction, and Cassie questions whether she can trust her fragile heart to a mysterious stranger. Will he accept her once he knows about her troubled past?

Cassie resists Sam’s advances and represses her feelings until one fateful night when they give in to their fiery passion. Together, they work out a plan to save the store but find their efforts are thwarted—and their lives endangered—by the locals.

Sam’s secret returns to haunt him and pulls him away just when Cassie needs him the most. Will he regain her trust when she learns the truth? Cassie has everything invested in the store—can she save it and find true love with Sam before it’s too late?

***



***
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 100 short stories, 19 romance novels, and 5 non-fiction books. Her romances span many genres and heat levels, and she’s also been known to scare readers with her horror stories.
In August 2018, Kelli released her first online course through Teachable. Fiction Writing for Beginners is perfect for anyone who wants to learn how to write. Visit the course page: https://kelliwilkins.teachable.com/ for more details.
Kelli’s historical romance, Redemption from a Dark Past, was published in June of 2018. This full-length Gothic novel is set in the kingdom of Hungary in 1723 and blends a sensual romance with mystery and suspense.
If you like horror fiction, don’t miss her latest novella, Nightmare in the North.
Kelli posts on her Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKelliWilkins and Twitter: www.Twitter.com/KWilkinsauthor.
Visit her website www.KelliWilkins.com and blog http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/ to learn more about all of her writings.

CATCH UP WITH KELLI
Here’s a full list of where you can find Kelli on the web.
Newsletter sign-up: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb

No comments:

Book Tour Stop/Giveaway: Cops in Space by Gail Koger

This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . Gail Koger will be awarding a $15 Amazon/BN gift card to a ...