Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Welcome author Stephanie Burkhart today

Please give a warm welcome to author Stephanie Burkhart as we chat about her new book, The Green Rose.


Question: What genres do you write in?

STEPH: I enjoy writing contemporary, steampunk, fantasy, and paranormal romance. I’ve also published several children stories with 4RV Publishing.

Question: Do you have a favorite quote form “The Green Rose?”

STEPH: "You faced danger with true bravery."

Question: If you could be any paranormal creature what would you be?

STEPH: I’d like to be a witch. It would be fun to bubble up a couple of spells, fly around on a broomstick at the Quiddich course, and cause a lot of commotion.

Question: What do you do when you’re not writing?

STEPH: I’m actually a very busy bee. I work full time as a 911 dispatcher and that limits my writing time. I also teach religious education for my church for an hour on Mondays, and I’m a den leader for my son’s cub scout den. I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I try to catch “Game of Throne,” and “Outlander.” I like to go bowling and hang out with my kids. I also like to read.

Question: Do you prefer to extensively plot your stories or do you write them as they come to you?

STEPH: I usually start with a “germ” of an idea, a “what if.” Then, I research. Researching usually takes about 2 weeks. During the research phase I’m outlining. When I’m ready to write, I have the first 3 chapters plotted. Once I’m done writing them, I see where the characters are at, adjust the outline and plot the next 3 chapters.

Question: Do you have a favorite genre? Is it the same genre you prefer to write?

STEPH: My favorite genre to read is anything historical. However, I don’t have a strong historical voice. I prefer to write contemporary because my voice is much stronger there.

Question: I’m always looking for book recommendations. What books have you been reading?

STEPH: I’m reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I just finished “Fearless 14.” I’m also reading  “Storm of Swords,” by George RR Martin. Amazing Fantasy! Then there’s “The Invasion of the Tearling,” by Erika Johansen. It’s also a fantasy with a twist and I find it very engrossing.

Question: If zombies attacked, what kind of supplies would you want?

STEPH: A good magic spell to keep the zombies off my property and away from my gardens. I’d like a couple of gardens to grow my herbs and roots and fruits and veggies. I’d need a pen, paper, water, and a pig farm. Throw in a broomstick, too.

Question: What has been the defining moment in your career that made you think: ‘Yes! I am now a writer!’”

STEPH: Last year, for the March 2015 issue of the “Alive, LA City Employees Magazine,” I was the featured as the main story. I even had the cover. John Hawkins, the Editor, along with John Burnes were fantastic to work with and both were impressed with my body of work – 28 titles in 5 years. A lot of people at my church saw the interview and mentioned it to me. My commanding officer even congratulated me.

Question: If a movie or TV production company chose to produce your book into a series or a movie, who would your ideal cast me?

STEPH: For “The Green Rose,” I’d love to have Rhona Mitra for “Sonia.” I think Chris Pine would be a great “Ivanstan.” Colin Firth is my choice for King Talas of Ravenrock and Meryl Strep would be a great fit for Queen Rowan. Ian McClellan would be my choice for the evil mage, Balthyser.



The Green Rose
GENRE: Fantasy Romance
PUBLISHER: Desert Breeze Publishing

On the continent of Gaia, evil is brewing. Turncoat wizard, Balthyser, kidnaps the kings of Dahaka and Tapin. He wants the green rose, a source of powerful magic.

Princess Sonia of Tapin is forced to hunt down the rose in exchange for her father's life. It's the ultimate betrayal of Gaia's peace, but she has no choice if she wants to save her father.

Prince Ivánstan of Dahaka accompanies her on the journey. Both face challenges and obstacles that test their strength of character during the hunt for the rose. Dare Sonia put her trust and faith in a man she hardly knows to secure Gaia's peace or will the continent's harmony be shattered forever?

Excerpt:

Ivánstan stood behind her, pressing the firm muscles of his chest against her back. He wrapped his arms around her waist and placed both his hands over hers. His warm breath caressed her ear and her body tingled from their contact. Despite her unease, she felt protected in his arms. 

"You're tense. It's understandable, but I need you to relax -- to trust me." His voice was low and seductive. Sonia nipped at her lower lip with her teeth. How could she relax when the physical presence of him drove her senses to distraction? 

"Clear your mind. Think of your father. Recall a happy memory of him. That's it -- he's smiling at you, pride on his face." 

"You can see my memory?" she whispered. 

"Aye. We're sharing heat -- magical heat. Now push out. Space doesn't exist. Only your father. Concentrate on his face." 

Sonia drew in a breath and brought her father to mind -- the sound of his voice, deep and commanding, his face, rugged and lined, his scent, currants and earthy, his touch, gentle, yet firm. A vision of him appeared in her mind, but it was blurry and dark. Her father's tunic was torn, and he had been stripped of his weapons. The coppery scent of blood lingered over him. 

Fear ripped through her and then the vision was gone. She grew limp, but Ivánstan tightened his grip. "He is not dead, but wounded and in a dark place." 

"Thank Nyla," she whispered. "Is there more? Can we try again?" 

"Not now. Your body is exhausted and needs rest. Tomorrow morning we can try to connect with your mother. The calling should be easier." His lips brushed against her ear, sending a warm pulse of physical awareness through her. Ivánstan was all male. Slowly, she turned around in his arms to gaze into his eyes. They were soft now, the orange reminding her of the sun; his pupils, while still slitted, were narrow. 

 Buy at:



Meet the Author

Stephanie Burkhart is a 911 dispatcher for LAPD.  She was born and raised in Manchester, New Hampshire.  She served 11 years in the US Army and currently calls Castaic, California her home. Stephanie was married in Denmark in 1991 and has two young sons. She adores chocolate and is addicted to coffee.  She writes paranormal, contemporary, and steampunk romance and has two children's books published with 4RV Publishing.
FIND ME ON THE WEB AT:
WEBSITE:
TWITTER:
FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/StephanieBurkhartAuthor
GOOD READS:
YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/botrina?feature=mhee
PINTEREST:



6 comments:

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Thank you so much for having me here today. Here's a link to the Book Trailer. https://youtu.be/gFuFCDhZQMc

Smiles
Steph Burkhart
Romance Under the Moonlight

Theresa said...

Interesting Stephanie, sounds like another book to add to my tottering TBR pile

Outlining and plotting have to be two of the hardest things for me. I need guidelines, and to know what comes next, but if I plot out the entire book I feel like I've written it already, so what's the point?

I like the idea of outlining/plotting 3 chapters at a time. How much detail do you put into your general plan/outline? Sort of a general plan overall, and then the more detailed plans for each trio of chapters? That's the idea I'm getting, just wanted to make sure before I tried it out.

Thanks - and have a good day!

Theresa

Maggie Toussaint said...

Nice write-up, busy bee! I always learn more about you at each of these blog interviews!

Maggie

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Theresa, I put plot points I want to happen. Now, that's not to say I'll hit them, but they are my goal. Yes, i do a general plan and then plot 3 chapters, write, replot depending where the characters are. I hope that helps!

thank you Maggie. I'm glad you could stop by to visit.
Smiles
Steph

Kate Hill said...

Enjoyed the interview, Stephanie!

Melissa Keir said...

Always wonderful learning more about you Stephanie. Congrats on the book and I wish you all the best!

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...