Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Welcome Davee Jones today

Please give a warm welcome to author Davee Jones who joined me on the interview couch and answered a few questions.....

 How would you describe yourself using only five words? Insatiable, Demanding, Adventurous, Solitary, Misophonia

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
On a mountaintop in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?
I crank up the theme to Rocky or We Will Rock You by Queen….lol. If I find it difficult to get motivated, I jump into the SCP author page and see if anyone is up for a sprint. Nothing like getting writing going like fellow authors jamming together.

Coffee, tea or other drink to get you moving in the morning
? I love coconut lattes and blueberry Red Bull, depends on my mood.

What is coming up from you in 2013? My first YA paranormal book, Finding Love Under a Rock, released this month that begins my Critter Getter series. The second book of this particular series revolves around the legend of Bigfoot. I write the YA material as my alter ego, Allee Mae. All of my other works are published as Davee Jones. AND--My first horror/thriller/paranormal book releases this summer, Blue Ink -The Skin Stalker is my first work of 80K words! Anything you want to tease us with? Can this average woman defeat a demon terrorizing her, or will he destroy her in the process? And what is this weird blue ink dot anyway?

What do you feel is the most important thing that a first-time author should know? 
Edit until you can’t stand it anymore. Learn everything you can about marketing and selling. I sent out over 250 review queries, requests for publicity, etc. I received less than ten replies back.  Yes, I said less than ten. I sent a letter to each and every newspaper in Oklahoma (my home state in the USA) and got ONE solitary reply back. I personalized every submission query, DO NOT Bcc these things to a mass audience. You will not receive a reply. You must demonstrate you researched who you sent the query to, let them know you took the time. Yes, it will take you hours upon hours, but, the few replies you receive back will be worth it.



About Finding Love Under a Rock....
Sweet Cravings Publishing
Young Adult Paranormal
Buy at Publisher / Amazon / Barnes & Nobles / Smashwords / ARe / Goodreads


Kalista Bristow and Leandra Lehigh moved to Oklahoma not just to attend nursing school, but, to find some adventure. When Leandra reads about the sport of “noodling”, she is literally “hooked’, and reserves top-notch guides, Caleb Chandler and Owen Guthrie, to give them a true southern experience.
Wading through the murky river, Kalista finds herself drawn to the handsome Caleb and his red-dirt good looks. He manages a few shy glances in her direction, intrigued by her tenacity. Could this cute city girl bring him out of his awkward insecurity when it comes to dating? However, thoughts of blossoming love move to the wayside as the girls find more than they bargained for under the surface of that shadowy river. They must rely on Caleb and Owen to keep them safe, all the while beginning to believe the mysterious legends the guys have been telling them are probably all true.

Excerpt:

Kalista’s stomach churned nervously as her eyes darted around. Sunlight danced off the ripples in the water that their movements created. Is that us making those waves, or something just below the surface? “Crap, should I watch where I step?”
“That’s sort of a problem. You can’t watch anywhere you move. So, you just better hope you make the right step.” Caleb said solemnly.
“How far out do we have to go? The water is getting colder the further out we get. Besides, how can we get to the bank to get out if we do get into trouble?” Panic teemed in Kalista’s voice. “I don’t like water I can’t see into.”
“Hey, roomie, calm down. Good grief, we haven’t even started yet.” Leandra finally sounded exasperated with Kalista’s irrational fear. “Would you just enjoy yourself and get over being a baby already? Not everything has to be a swimming pool with pristine water to be safe.”
“Girls, girls, focus. You are both right in your own way. This is more than a simple excursion—it’s time we start paying attention to our surroundings.”
“Okay, so, we need to be one with the fish?” Leandra asked seriously as she peered down toward the water.
Kalista rolled her eyes. “Sheesh Lea, as if you could see anything through this brown tinged river water.” She looked more closely, realizing how intent Leandra appeared. “You really are getting in tune with your aquatic side, aren’t you?”
“We paid for this expedition so you’re darn right I’m getting in touch with my inner Ictalurus punctatus.”
Owen furrowed his brow toward Leandra. “What the heck is an ictaluruhhh…icta…icta-walruses or whatever you just said?”
“Owen, let me apologize for Leandra, leave it to the bookworm to use the scientific name for a channel catfish.” Kalista replied with amusement in her tone.
“You knew what I meant when I said it. What’s that say about you?” Leandra shot back triumphantly.
Caleb interjected into the banter. “Girls, we are actually not looking for Ictalurus punctatus. We are searching for Pylodictis olivari, a flathead catfish.”

Follow the author's Blog HERE

1 comment:

Davee Jones said...

Hi Dawn, thank you so much for hosting me today. It's been a treat! :)

Discover Good Half Gone today!

  GOOD HALF GONE Author: Tarryn Fisher ISBN: 9781525804885 Publication Date: March 19, 2024 Publisher: Graydon House 18.99 US | 23.99 ...