Sunday, May 20, 2012

Welcome Ayla Rose Today

*Apologies to Ayla for the lateness of this. Been one of those crazy weekends where I didn't know if I was coming or going**


Welcome to Dawn’s Reading Nook, Ayla Ruse. Please let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink and make yourself at home. Comfortable? Great…now let’s get down to business.

Thanks for having me, Dawn. First, I must say, your cabana boys are to die for. J

Q: So tell us about yourself. What got you interested in writing? Who are your publisher(s)?

Hmm, let’s see…I’m the Queen of my Castle and have a multitude of gorgeous men who worship at my feet and are at my constant beck and call. *snort* I wish! My real life, as most writers can attest, is nothing glamorous. Basically, I’m the picker-upper of everything and everyone in my home. I have people surrounding me 24/7. It does get to be a little much. When I get that Cinderella break to sneak away, I dive into my cave to write. Now, what got me interested in writing? I don’t know exactly. I’ve always known I’ve wanted to be a writer. My grandfather was an author, and I loved the thought that I could make up stories for a living. It is as simple as that. I received my first acceptance for publication from Total E-Bound, with whom I’m still published, and I’m also writing like crazy for Changeling Press.  

Q: What do you consider to be the key elements of a great story?

Focus. Whether writing or reading, characters or plot, the story has to maintain its focus. I’m going to speak as a reader for a moment. If I’m reading a story and find myself questioning why the words I’m reading are important, the story will lose me. I hold true to the rule that if the words do not propel the story, if what is being said is not important to the ending, don’t put it in. Yes, it might be interesting that Franco was born in Germany to an Italian Mom and a Russian Dad, and that he got a scraped knee from falling out of the tree when he was eight, but if none of this impacts the story line in some way, cut it out.

Q: Please tell us about your latest release. What inspired it?

My latest release is coming out next week. *happy dance* The title is Bad Gone Better, and it’s set to release June 1 from Changeling Press. This is the second in a series of books entitled Doppelganger Tales. In this particular book, the hero is a Doppelganger and the heroine is a Wraith. The inspiration? Sheer curiosity. You see, the story takes place on another realm, and humans aren’t welcome. I needed a woman who could be on that realm with Gunner -- my hero -- especially since (in my world) Doppelganger’s don’t connect to one another. After searching the universe and beyond, I latched on to the idea of a Wraith. Her name is Melanie. I loved writing her because she was a challenge, and she’s not always as she appears to be.

Q: Among your own books, have you a favorite?  A favorite hero or heroine? 

Each of my books is a favorite for their own special reasons. The Deciding Factor, because it’s my first published story. Soulless, because the plot hit me with an urgency to write it down. Emmy’s Wish because it’s so darn playful. I could go on, but you get the picture. As far as characters, that’s more of a toughie. I love Emmy in Emmy’s Wish because she’s so persistent and determined and doesn’t let set-backs get her down. My favorite hero to date would probably be Luke from The Deciding Factor. He’s the epitome of tall, dark and handsome, but beyond the physical, he faces real insecurities he has to overcome to make the relationship work.

Q: Which of your books has been the easiest to write?  The hardest?  The most fun? 

The hardest to write was my first published story, The Deciding Factor with TEB. The finished product took me more than a year to complete, but that’s because I had such a hard time just finishing, as in bringing everything to a close. The story you see today is 180 degrees away from where it began, but all for the better.

My easiest story to write has to be Soulless, the first in my futuristic Malathix Soul series at Changeling. I came up with this story from a song I’d listened to for years, so by the time I sat down to write, I was able to type out the entire story at one time. Yes, my fingers and wrists were limp noodles by the time I’d finished, but it was great being able to have the whole rough draft finished in just a day.

Q: Which comes first, the story, the characters or the setting?

It completely depends on what strikes me first. There is no rhyme or reason or consistency to my madness. Take Doppelganger Tales, my current series at Changeling, for example. I started off with the characters for Good Gone Bad, then developed the setting, then the plot. By the time I was finished, the second, Bad Gone Better, began to churn through my mind. For this story, I had the setting first, then the characters, then the plot. As luck would have it, by the time I finished writing Bad Gone Better, I knew I wanted a third story. I don’t have all the characters set yet, and this time I’m working the plot first.

Q: What part of a book has been the easiest to write?  The hardest?

What part of a book is easiest/hardest, hmm? It all depends on the story I’m writing at the time and what I’ve already envisioned. Some people might jump and say the sex scenes have to be the easiest, and sometimes they are, but not always. One story I’ve worked on recently had me pulling my hair because I could rock their conversations, but putting them in bed together was a nightmare. Other times, putting motivation behind the words/actions can be a struggle.

Overall, the easiest part of storytelling is when my characters talk. Dialogue. I get excited when my characters speak because I can get carried away. Well, they get carried away, and I’m typing like a demon trying not to miss anything.

Q: What is the hardest/the easiest part of writing for you? 

Sometimes the hardest part is finding the time! I home-school, so my family surrounds me all the time. I have to carve out, negotiate and demand bits of time to steal away to write.

The easiest part is the writing itself. When I sit down before the computer or pick up paper and pen, an excitement and a calm, all the same time, infuses me. The joy of letting the characters in my head come out to play is like no other. Okay, I may embellish this a bit, because we all know there are those times the characters have a grump with you and refuse to come out. Still, I’d much rather be stuck doing what I love.   

Q: What genres and authors would we find you reading when taking a break from your own writing?

Pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Unless I’m in a “mood,” I’m not picky. In my mood moments, I might pick up James Rollins, Eloisa James, Emma Holly, Cherise Sinclair... But if you were to take a look at my Kindle, you’d see just about a little bit from everyone who has a book out today. The more I write, the more I find I lean toward the quick novellas, or shorter. Less time to read means I want to immerse myself into the tale and be able to finish it not too far past bedtime. There is always something out there to satiate my reading appetite. ;-)

Q: What do you hope readers take with them, after reading one of your stories? What do you hope they feel, or learn?

Hmm… You really dole out the thought-provoking questions, Dawn. J  What do I hope my readers take with them? *tapping finger on chin* I would have to say I hope when someone reads one of my stories, she (or he) will take the feel-good thought, “there’s a relationship that had its ups and downs, and I can see those characters making a go at what they have together.”

I’ve never thought of myself as teaching in my books, but if I had to put a fine point on what I write, it’s that relationships take work. Not everything is going to be all good all the time. Among other traits, trust, honesty, and vulnerability are necessary to grow and sustain a relationship. I make my characters work for the love they find.

Oh, I guess I might throw out a learning curve as well. Who knows – someone could read one of my stories and think, “I’ve never had sex like that, or involving something like that,” and find themselves willing to try something new.

Q: If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

Vivacious, trustworthy, determined

Q: What is the strangest source of writing inspiration you’ve ever had?
 
A Disney cartoon movie. Seriously. I can’t remember the title offhand, but it involved Goofy, if you can believe it. There was a scene on a bridge that had me taking over and thinking, what if the “she” in the scene was a misled young girl and “he,” someone who’d been wrongly accused of a crime? I haven’t finished this particular story, but one day I’ll return to it and have a lot of fun fleshing it out.

Q: So a bit of naughty truth, do you ever do a little real life research to make your books spicy or do you just have a great imagination?

How to answer? *shaking head* I suppose it’s a little of both. All writers need to have that well of curiosity and the imagination to fill in the blanks, but a touch of been-there-done-that comes in handy too.

Q: If you had to choose one person to have dinner with, who would it be? And why?

Sorry to disappoint, but not any kind of supermodel or star. Honestly, I’d be so nervous I couldn’t eat anything, and my side of the conversation would be even more embarrassing with “um… oh…nice weather we’re having – choke!”

My choice would be my DH. His work schedule and our family life means we never get free time at the same time. To sit down in a nice restaurant and have pleasant conversation without the complaints, fights and groans of accompanying little monkeys would be sheer heaven.

Q: What is the most ridiculous thing that you have thought about doing to any of your characters but never did?

That would have to be when I tried to take an all-out alpha male and make him a willing submissive. I’m talking naked, hands and knees crawling. *shudder* Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against this if it fits the character, but for this particular hero, it was beyond embarrassing (in hindsight). Luckily, my BFF read it and rolled her eyes. I snapped out of whatever had taken over my mind and completely cut the scene. I still cringe when I think about it.

Q: Want to tell us about any projects you are working on?

I am currently working on a story for Changeling’s Forever Wicked series, a third Doppelganger Tale story, a Christmas short, and a contemporary ménage. Most of these should have publication within this year, too. Whew.

Q: Anything else you want to add?

Thanks for having me, Dawn! It’s been a ton of fun. I’ll make sure to tip the cabana boys on the way out -- they were very accommodating.

Thanks for being my guest at Dawn’s Reading Nook. May you have many sales and wonderful reviews for your books.



Bad Gone Better
Doppelganger Tales #2
By Ayla Ruse
Release date June 1, 2012 with Changeling Press

Blurb:

A Doppelganger and a Wraith. Hell couldn’t make a better match. Too bad they’re not in Hell…

Gunner is ready to give up on life. Imprisoned for eternity is not how he'd envisioned returning to the Doppelganger realm. He's been pushed, punished and tortured, but nothing has been able to break him. Until she comes on a three-moon night.


Melanie is a Wraith seeking revenge. She hadn't planned on tangling with Gunner, but he provides what she needs to survive.
Begging for an end, Gunner is startled when the strange King offers freedom, but it comes with a price.


As Melanie searches for her killer and Gunner works toward his freedom, will they discover their paths are heading in the same direction? And is this direction toward something better, or toward the void of darkness neither can seem to elude?


Excerpt (condensed):
Melanie waited before turning around to take her fill of the imprisoned Doppelganger called Gunner.

Thick blond hair that almost touched his shoulders always caught her eye first. The black streak along his temple gave him an air of mystery, and his defiant stance belied his situation. He stood tall and surprisingly muscular for having been in prison for so long. No matter. Strung up like he was, he wasn’t going anywhere. Besides, he maintained enough humanity from his stint on the human realm to serve her needs: to stay alive.

“The third moon is out,” Gunner announced into the silent night. “This is when you show up, isn’t it? Where are you?”

She gritted her teeth in annoyance. He sounded bored and put out. Damn the man. Damn the unfound Doppelganger who’d put her in this position in the first place, and damn the bubbling anger stirring up inside her over this whole damn situation.

She glided toward her victim. It was easier to think of Gunner as a victim. He made her feel things that were… foreign, so the quicker she could take what she needed, the quicker she could leave.

“Are you going to let me see you tonight?” he asked.

She blew out a whisper. “No.”

“Fine.” He braced his feet as far apart as the shackles allowed and wrapped his hands around the chains attached to his wrists. These chains led up and away from his body, so that he stood spread eagle. He almost reminded her of the Indians she’d known when she’d been alive, standing tall and proud against an enemy.

“Do your worst,” he challenged.

She paused. He stared straight ahead, his naked body gleaming in the three moons’ light. Thin scars criss-crossed nearly every inch of his body. She wondered what could have made them, but she pushed the thoughts away. She wasn’t here to get to know him. She wasn’t here to play nice or to make him like her. She was here to survive. She had to remember only this.


Buy Link for Bad Gone Better (Doppelganger Tales #2): http://www.changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=1839

Buy Link for Good Gone Bad (Doppelganger Tales #1): http://www.changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=1787

Visit Ayla at:
blog :  http://aylaruse.blogspot.com
Twitter:  @aylaruse
Facebook:  facebook.com/ayla.ruse
Changeling Press: http://www.changelingpress.com/author.php?uid=156
Total E-Bound: http://www.total-e-bound.com/authordetail.asp?A_ID=159

No comments:

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...