Monday, April 16, 2012

Welcome Sonia Hightower today


Racism Exists.
Sonia Hightower

In my latest release, Afterburn, I didn't just put an interracial couple in it having great sex. I added the issue. I added the hatred, the dirty looks, and yes, even one instance of name calling. Why? Because sadly, interracial couples today DO face this stuff. YES, it does exist, and the reason I wrote this book the way I did was so that people would look around them and become more aware of it. Because if you are aware of it, you can do something about it. And though you can't change the opinion of the world, you can watch yourself and what you do and say. And it all starts in the HOME.

Racism is TAUGHT. You are not born having a lower opinion of another group of people. You are TAUGHT. Putting an end to racism must start in the home. What are you teaching your children? What were you taught?

The other day, a friend of mine and I had a discussion and she was shocked to find out that I didn't even know racism existed until I was in the fourth grade. I was not taught to hate, I was not taught to look down on others. My father is very dark-skinned. He is Puerto Rican and comes from a mixture of African/French/Spanish blood. My mother is white. She's so white, she gets sunburned just from walking to her car. (I'm exaggerating, but you get the drift.) Having come from a multi-cultural family, the blending of white, brown, black, of Irish, African, German, Puerto Rican, I never realized this wasn't the norm.

In fourth grade, I had a friend. We were on the swing set one day, waiting for our parents to come for a parent/teacher thing. The exact situation fails me, but my father and my mother both made an appearance. My friend--so I thought--said to me with a gasp, "Your dad is brown?"

I stopped twirling my swing to stare at her. "Yea?" 

"Your parents shouldn't be married." This was accompanied by a solemn shake of the head.

I scrunched up my face, confused. "Why not?"

I think the girl's answer was something to the effect that that was what her parents had told her. So there you have it. Racism starts at home. It is taught. What are you doing about it?




Their love burns hot, but will it stay fueled?Crystal is an enlisted mechanic with a tragic past. Grant is an officer and a pilot with a broken heart. When faced with a difficult decision, will Crystal choose wisely or lose the best thing that ever happened to her?

The love between them burns hot, but their relationship won't stay fueled if they can't beat the obstacles that stand in their way. Besides breaking the fraternization rules, Grant and Crystal have the difference of race between them…but can they prove to the rest of the world, and to each other, that love is color blind?

Afterburn is about overcoming one's past, not judging others, learning to forgive, and what it's like to be a woman in a "man's world."

5 comments:

Lynn Chantale said...

I adored this story and truly felt for Grant and Crystal. Also great post. Racsism is definitely taught. I see it a lot in the area where I live. Thanks Somia for the great post and the great read.

Megan D. Martin said...

I like the whole premise of what this book stands for. Definitely going to check it out! :)

Lorraine said...

Great write-up! Love the premise, and yes, racism and prejudice are taught. My father hated everything French, German and black. We grew up knowing this, yet for some reason, it didn't scar us as it could have. I think we have mom to thank for that. She always has a cup of tea and a smile for everyone. Need to get this book!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't imagine being taught that. Good for your mom! And good for you for refusing to hate.

Janet said...

I grew up in a very small tourist town. I met people from all over the world and I loved meeting new people and learning about there culture. At the age of 18 I joined the military and low and behold I learned there was racism. Yeap in my own squadron. I had never been taught to look at a persons color or where they were from I treated all people the way I wanted to be treated. I never let the fact there was racism from co workers affect the way I treated others. I have read this book and it is very good. Thanks for sharing such a tough subject. i have found people don't have a clue as to why they are a racist cause they did learn it at home. It is the norm for them. I hope this book helps them in some way.

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...