Sunday, October 2, 2011

Welcome Riptide Press Author Peter Hansen/Contest

 CONTEST INFORMATION: Leave a comment to be entered to win one of the following: First Wave Winner’s Choice: Pick any one backlist book from Rachel Haimowitz, Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt, Brita Addams, or Cat Grant (“Frontlist” books, i.e. Riptide releases and newest non-Riptide release, are excluded, as are the Courtland Chronicles). Make sure to  leave your emaila ddress so in case you win, we can contact you.

What one event in your past had the greatest effect on your writing career?

Visions and Revisions: A Writer Gets Schooled

When I was in college, I had a lot of pretty typical college-kid writing foibles. I thought critical feedback spoiled my vision, I thought imitating Jack Kerouac was cool, and I thought I was going to be above petty little things like "genre." (For the record, I still think imitating Jack Kerouac is cool, but I know better than to do it in public.)

My sophomore year of college, I had the gall to trot that business out in a workshop writing class, where I listened to the other students explain the difficulties they'd had with my stories. I gave them very grave little nodes when they debated the physics of my fight scenes, and I manfully restrained my rolling eyes when they collapsed into a writhing mass of folklore over my four-page zombie story. I wanted to be on my best behavior, because it was a class and not a pro wrestling arena, but frankly I fantasized about thwapping the lot of them upside the head with a folding chair. They didn't get my vision—and I was maybe nineteen years old, so of course I had a vision.

"Do you realize that you've written a romance?" the professor asked me, while we were workshopping my story about a pair of queer college kids hunting ghosts and finding each other. "I think this is the first romance we've had in this class." I cocked my head at that like an excessively obtuse Jack Russell terrier, because of course it wasn't a romance. I wrote it; I didn't write romance; thus, it wasn't a romance. QED, or some other Latin abbreviation. Clearly the woman was delusional.

In short, my first creative writing class kicked my ass.

You have to understand, it was kind of a delayed ass-kicking. An ass-kicking deferred, if you will. I got out of that class with my asshole notions of my own superiority still intact, still pretty damn sure I didn't write romance and didn't need critique and couldn't get better if I tried. I didn't actually realize how thoroughly I'd been schooled until I started teaching writing, when I got a chance to rip kids' papers and stories apart the way my teacher had ripped mine apart. I got the same asshole responses from my kids that I gave my teacher, all "This is good the way it is" and "That's just my style" and "Stop trying to box me into your stupid little categories." The pupil has become the master, and the master wondered what the fuck the pupil had been thinking.

Over the years since that class, I've come to understand what I was missing when I walked into the classroom—and part of it was humility, sure, but the bigger part was self-awareness. I went in thinking that writing was this sort of magical process where the author would go into a semi-conscious, energy-drink-fueled trance and then THE WORD would appear. Any failures in my fiction couldn't be failures on my part; they were obviously failures of the magic.

I wrote a lot faster in those days, channeling pure inspiration onto the page, but I had only a little control and not even a smidgeon of self-awareness. If I couldn't watch myself writing and see why I made each choice, then I couldn't see those choices as choices that I could un-choose at will.

Just because I wasn't aware, though, doesn't mean I wasn't watching. Some part of me—the real, writerly part—had its eyes open as I glugged cans of Amp and had WWF-related workshop fantasies. When I finally pulled my head out of my ass and got ready to be an active agent in the creative process, that open-eyed part of me unfolded my choices for me and showed me where and how I could intervene.

No, of course that zombie story didn't work; it was structured all wrong. No, the kind of gun my character was using was really fucking heavy; I should've used a lighter, more maneuverable one. Yes, that ghost-hunter story was totally a romance. Thus, I was the kind of person who wrote romances. QED.

I could revise. I could rewrite the fabric of the universe and transform dreck into gold.  I could make the magic happen.

That long-delayed boot to the ass finally connected.

 
Here's a blurb from First Watch, to be released on October 30:

What price would you pay to survive?

Do you want to live? In the darkness of a WWI battlefield, young Legionnaire Edouard Montreuil lies dying. As teeth nibble his flesh, a voice whispers, Do you want to live? Frightened and desperate, Edouard bargains his freedom for a second chance.
Aboard the Flèche, a grim submarine captained by the nightmare who granted Edouard new life, Edouard pays the price for his survival. Each night, he gives his body to his captain as the bells sound first watch. But surviving is not living, and as the days stretch into months beneath the waves, Edouard grows desperate for escape.
Can Edouard’s old comrade Farid Ruiz help him break this devil's bargain, or will Ruiz fall to the same fate, trapped beneath the waves at the mercy of a monster whose hunger knows no bounds? Edouard and Ruiz served together once before, and slept together too, but courage and passion failed to save them from the eldritch beasts who roamed the night. This time, the cost of failure is nothing so clean or simple as death, and the spoilof victory are not just life, but love.
First Watch, is available for pre-sale at this link: http://riptidepublishing.com/titles/first-watch

Email address: peter.hansen.writes@gmail.com
Website URL: http://peterhansenfiction.weebly.com/
Blog URL: http://peterhansenfiction.weebly.com/blog.html
Twitter: P_HansenWrites ( http://twitter.com/#!/P_HansenWrites )
Facebook: N/A
MySpace: N/A
Goodreads Page: http://www.goodreads.com/peterhansen

36 comments:

Amara Devonte said...

*waves* Hiya Peter. lol, every 19yr old has a vision. ;)

Great post. Loved it.

Rachel Haimowitz said...

LOL yup. I sort of suspect every writer is in that place at some point in their development. And sadly, a lot of them get stuck there :(

This was a wonderful post. Thank you for the smile!

Peter Hansen said...

@Amara If opinions are like assholes, then obviously visions are like pimples. You have more of them when you're younger, but if you're lucky, eventually they clear up.

@Rachel I dedicate this post to you and your mad structural edits.

tracykitnreads said...

*waves madly* HI, AMARA!!!!


I took a creative writing class during my brief flirtation with college (I was a chem major, and calculus kicked my ass right out). Except for nervousness night unto panic attack on critique days, I loved that part. Still have Every Single Piece of Paper relating to my own stuff hidden away somewhere in the house. (All poetry, as we never made it to the prose portion of the class, sadly. And that now seems just so VERY cliche -- the nervous, loner teen writing poetry all over the place. But at least it was for a class, and I was hopefully learning *something* -- not sure what, but something -- from it all...

Tiffany said...

Looking forward to your book Peter.

Unknown said...

Okay, as if your story wasn't funny enough (and probably hit home to every writer who got past that stage), you have to say this: "If opinions are like assholes, then obviously visions are like pimples. You have more of them when you're younger, but if you're lucky, eventually they clear up."

It's really great, because obviously you can still have outbreaks of visions when you're older when you write something that feels perfect and you show it to someone else and they just raise a brow. But at least you know you have pimples at that point.

Lucia said...

Great to read that the ''long-delayed boot to the ass finally connected'' :P It gives a twenty year old college student hope! Even though it will be in other areas I learn something, because writing stories it not one of my talents .. at all.
Loooove the cover of your new book!

Adara said...

Sadly between classes for a dual major and a minor, I had only one elective in college, and I took Archery over Creative Writing. (Less homework.)

I've always loved writing, but I haven't felt it as a "true calling" like some. I still enjoy it enough to dabble, and I'd rather take a long time to produce something good than to churn out rubbish.

So, maybe someday I will. I'm not in a hurry. =)

CAS said...

Hi Peter.
It's a pleasure to meet you. :) I really enjoyed your blog. I found myself nodding so much at your words I was beginning to feel like one of those bobbing head dolls. :)
Some of the most important lessons I've learned in life were ones I was completely unaware I had even absorbed until it came time to put them to use. It was instinctive then, followed by an AH Hah moment. What a difference a boot makes. :)
Very much looking forward to getting to know you better with First Watch.
Cheers!

DawnsReadingNook said...

Welcome Riptide Authors to my blog. Thank you Peter for dropping by today and sharing your experience in the writing class. :) I loved that you finally got that boot in the ass so to speak and congratulations on your upcoming book, First Watch.

S.Lira said...

Great post Peter! Sounds like a great one!

:D

Kari Gregg said...

LOL, at least your first writing group/peer experience was romance-friendly. To date, every writer I know IRL has barely tolerated it. A lot of "honey, you're too smart to write romance." Yeesh.

Great post, Peter!

Aleksandr Voinov said...

Same here. I get a lot of "YOU?!?! ROMANCE?" in real life. Whatever. :)

Rhi Etzweiler said...

A very interesting discussion, Peter. I had no idea you wrote romance... Okay, I'll behave now.

I agree that all information is worth having, because (hopefully) it eventually transforms into knowledge and understanding. With a bit of time and fermentation...

Looking forward to reading "First Watch" when it releases!

lily sawyer said...

sounds great Peter. congratulations on being one of the first authors at Riptide.

I'd like to be entered in the contest

yinyang1062@yahoo.com

thanks

Peter Hansen said...

Geez, I go do laundry for like five minutes and suddenly I'm in the middle of a party! I've got to do laundry more often. ;)

@tracykitn Just remember, Keats and Burns were nervous loners writing poetry in their early days, too. Don't give up!

@Tiffany Thank you!

@Alex Exactly what I was going for with that image. :D It's been great seeing you around the commentariat.

@Lucia The asskicking was pretty good, but I think the cover might be better.

@Adara Archery sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. I was an English major shooting for a writing certificate, so this technically counted as a useful class--or so I told myself at the time. Wish I'd taken archery, though.

@CAS Pleasure to meet you, too! *steadies your head* Hope to see you around, and I hope you enjoy the book!

@Dawn Roberto Thank you for hosting! You've been a real gem.

@Rawiya Sure was!

@Kari Gregg It was romance-friendly, but it really wasn't SF/F-friendly. I was definitely told I was too smart to write that; I think they were relieved when I started writing about living people on Earth. ;)

@Aleksandr Voinov Romance! Surely not!

@Rhianon Etzweiler Sit down if you start to feel dizzy. :D

@lily sawyer Thank you very much!

tracykitnreads said...

I think I have outgrown the "nervous and lonely poetry" stage of my life. I've outgrown the nerves -- mostly, or I've just learned to hide it better -- and w/ 3 kids & various pets (not to mention the revolving door to accomodate the single soldiers the DH takes pity on & brings home for home-cooked meals) I don't have TIME to be lonely. But I *am* toying with the idea of trying to write something. Just to break the monotony of laundry/dishes/mopping/homework. And in between loaves of bread and batches of biscotti. :D

desitheblonde said...

well i like the blurb and then the cover is wicked me i like to read and then look at the cover i go to the store and see books form different authors i do not know pick up and read
desitheblonde@msn.com

-Maria- said...

I'm looking forward to read First Watch.

Now I follow you on twitter :)

Sarah said...

Really looking forward to this one :-D

Sarahs7836@gmail.com

andys said...

I just wanted to check in and say I'm looking forward to this one. I always love someone tackling Lovecraft in an alternate way.

Mary Preston said...

There are moments in life we wish to forget, but they are often the ones that motivate & mold us.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Loveless3173 said...

*waves* ^w^/ Hello Peter.

God, I can't tell you enough how much I just LOVE the cover. lol... Lovely interview and like many others, I found myself nodding at most of it. lol.. Congrats on your new release and SOooo looking forward to reading it!!

Judi
arella3173_loveless @ yahoo.com

pamsquilts said...

The post was nice but I absolutely loved the cover.

Kaetrin said...

Hi Peter. I don't think its just 19 year old writers,
I think its 19 year olds, or maybe just teenagers. when I look back at some of the arrogant smugness I served up to people at that age, I cringe. So, I can definitely relate to your experience! :)

hankts AT internode DOT on DOT net

Bookwyrm369 said...

LOL! Great post :-) Can't wait to read "First Watch."

SarahM
smaccall AT comcast.net

Anonymous said...

My 19 would be working part time and thinking what would my crossroad be.

Am I safe to say this new release of yours First Watch would be science fiction cum romance?

monica
moniqee@hotmail.com

Rachel Haimowitz said...

@Moniqee: We've labeled it horror and romance. I wouldn't call it science fiction because there's no technology beyond what actually existed during the time period in which it's set (1920s); rather it's more of a Lovecraftian paranormal suspense.

Peter Hansen said...

@tracykitn That sounds pretty busy! I've just got the cats, so of course there's plenty of time for tortured, lonely authorship. :D

@desitheblonde Glad you like! The cover is indeed pretty wicked.

@-Maria- Glad to see you over there! I'm always busier on Twitter than elsewhere on the Interwebs.

@Sarah I am, too, and I wrote the damn thing. :D

@andys The thing most people forget when they're doing a Lovecraft pastiche is that he's not all "AND SUDDENLY TENTACLES! :D" He's built a pretty complex cosmology, even if his writing itself is the most royal of purples, and I've tried to honor that in my own writing. (... AND SUDDENLY TENTACLES.)

@marybelle That's just what this was: A shaping moment.

@Loveless3173 Why, thank you! I couldn't be happier with the cover. It tells you exactly what you need to know, which is that this is a novella about someone saying "COME AT ME BRO" to a tentacle monster. Or something like that. :D

@pamsquilts Have to say, I'm in your camp here.

@Kaetrin Heh, that could be it. I've got some perfectly nice teenage friends, and most of the time I even refrain from bitchslapping them for their smugness.

@Bookwyrm369 I hope you enjoy it!

@moniqee I feel you on this. At 19, I was ending an abusive relationship and working a line job at a warehouse in the summers. "First Watch" is probably closer to dieselpunk than science fiction, and it's got some fantasy ("magic") elements thrown in with the 1920s technology, but yeah, it's SF/F as much as it's romance.

@Rachel Haimowitz The submarine's actually a little more advanced than one might expect at the time--closer to a WWII submarine--but not by much. And my justification is "tentacle monsters."

Rachel Haimowitz said...

*snerk* I'm pretty sure "tentacle monsters" can justify juuuuuuuuuust about anything :D

tracykitnreads said...

Yes, busy is a possible word to use. "Completely in-freaking-SANE" is what I usually say...(soldiers, kids, 2 boxer-mixes, cats...occasional random family members).

Also, realized am complete dork and just assume *everyone* knows my email 'cause Amara does...LOL

tracykitn AT yahoo.com

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed the post; it was quite interesting.

I love the cover for First Watch. I've added it to my must have list.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I love this cover - gwads it calls to me... much success with Riptide and your future writes, Peter ----

dawn_tate@rocketmail.com

Anonymous said...

I hope I am not late. Thanks for your kind replies, Rachel and Peter.

The way I read from the blurb, it is sort of like SF/H/R all into one though I would prefer it as Horror Paranormal Romance. I am so going to get this one.

I just hope it wont disappoint my Halloween Mood. * Going to read these horror ebooks on Halloween Day *

The Scarf Princess said...

Not just classes, but college in general is very eye opening. Especially when coming from a small town. Your new release sounds intriguing and I hope to read it soon.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Brandi said...

Oh, First Watch looks interesting! Looking forward to reading it :)

Brandi
scssugar(at)yahoo(dot)com

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...