Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Personal Review for Dutch Treat by Andrew Grey

What I love about Andrew Grey's books is how connected you get to the characters. I always seem to fall in love with the characters of every book of this author's that I read and find myself anxiously awaiting the next one from him.

With each story, the reader finds real people as characters-they have hopes, dreams, fears and vulnerabilities that pull you into their lives and make you want to be friends with them in the long run. That is what makes this author's books so wonderful to me. The characters that fairly leap off the pages and steal your heart.

Now onto my review before I embarrass myself by gushing about Andrew and his books. *grins*

Michael is offered a chance to further his career with an assignment in Europe but this means leaving the man he has been seeing and all his friends/family. Accepting that he can work on the long distance romance, he is unceremoniously dumped as he leaves for the airport. Sure this is a sign that his time in Europe will be lonely and miserable, Michael is surprised to meet Stephan, a co-worker who befriends him when he gets there. Stephan is fun, sweet and adorable yet Michael holds back because getting involved with Stephan means leaving him when he leaves in several months. But love has a way of sneaking past your best defenses and Michael will have to trust in his feelings because if he lets himself, he just might find that loving Stephan is the best thing to happen to him.

I got to admit the scenery alone had me wishing I was along side Michael as he explored the Netherlands and all the lovely places there. It was lyrical, lush and quite literally, a wonderful way to experience a far off place without leaving the comfort of your couch. The writing was tight, story flowed smoothly and the characters.....those wonderful, wonderful characters. *sighs gustily* They are so life like, it was almost like meeting them on the street and having coffee with them. Mr. Grey has a way with words and a knack for creating characters that literally come alive on his pages. They are like real people you meet every day with dreams, hopes and fears to deal with and we, as readers, get to go along with them as they find their way in the world.


Michael was a wonderful character, who grew on me, I freely admit. It took me awhile to fully embrace him since at times, I have to admit, I really wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him to stop his dithering. *grins* Yes I know, smacking someone is not nice but it would have made my point. Nevertheless, the friendship between Michael and Stephan was sweet and you can see the sparks build between them as it turned to something much more. Stephan was delightful. Sweet, friendly and sexy....he completed Michael even if Michael took forever to figure that out. *winks*

Dutch Treat is just that-a perfect treat for a cool summer evening to enjoy. It's like a box of good chocolate. You can't just eat one-they are just that decadent and wonderful. So if you are looking for a sweet, romantic story to devour tonight, I highly recommend Dutch Treat and I hope you love Michael and Stephan as much as I did.

My Rating for Dutch Treat: 4.5 Stars

Find Dutch Treat at Dreamspinner Press, Amazon (kindle and in print) and other fine online bookstores.

No comments:

Book Tour Stop/Giveaway: Cops in Space by Gail Koger

This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . Gail Koger will be awarding a $15 Amazon/BN gift card to a ...