Friday, December 17, 2010

Meet Cara Marsi


Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

First, thank you, Dawn, for having me today on your Book Nook. I’m thrilled to be here.

My latest book is Murder, Mi Amore from The Wild Rose Press.

When The Wild Rose Press announced a new Crimson Rose (romantic suspense) series that could be set anywhere in the world but had to include a blue diamond, it intrigued me. The premise sounded like fun, and since I’d visited Italy a few years ago, I loved the idea of setting a suspense story in Rome. So Murder, Mi Amore was born--Rome, a blue diamond, a woman in danger, a mysterious handsome Italian man. 

Murder, Mi Amore:

Lexie Cortese is in Rome to forget. The last thing she expects is to meet a sexy Interpol agent who suspects her of being part of a terrorist plot involving a stolen diamond.  Suddenly thrust into a world of murders, muggings, and kidnappings, Lexie doesn’t know what to think—or who to believe.

Dominic Brioni’s assignment is simple. Befriend the American and bring her to justice.  Only Lexie seems the most unlikely terrorist Dominic has ever met. Sweet, determined, and direct, she faces life with courage and fire, a fire that sparks his protective instincts and a longing for something more—something he allowed himself to hope for only once before.

But that woman betrayed him, and his boss isn’t about to let him forget it. With his career on the line and Lexie in danger, will Dominic learn to trust his heart before they both get killed?



What are you working on now? Anything you want to tell us about?

I have a second release in December, a werewolf paranormal romance called Cursed Mates, from Noble Romance Publishing.

Here’s a little about it:
Nick Radford is a reluctant werewolf who’s been fighting the Beast within for nearly 500 years. He’s never killed a human, but the Beast is gaining strength and Nick may not be able to ward off his inner demon much longer. Kyla Yaeger is an elite were-hunter with a scarred past. Her life’s mission is to slay the werewolves who slaughtered her parents. Her quest has brought her to Maine where she's been summoned to destroy the werewolf terrorizing the quaint little village of Heavensent. The last thing she needs is to get distracted by her mysterious--not to mention hunky--new neighbor Nick Radford.


What books are currently on your nightstand/bedside? Anything coming you are dying to read?

I have about 150 unread books on my shelves. And I just bought a Kindle, which I love. Amazon makes it dangerously easy to download books onto the Kindle. Dangerous to my pocketbook. There are many books I’m dying to read. As the saying goes, “so many books, so little time.” I love stories set in Ancient Rome, and have several romance novels with that setting waiting on my Kindle. I’m currently reading a series of mystery novels set in Ancient Rome. The author is John Maddox Roberts. The books aren’t romance, but the protagonist, a young Roman nobleman, falls in love in every book, but always with the wrong woman.

If one of your books were to be made into a movie, which book would you choose and who do you see playing your characters and why?

That’s a hard one. I’d love to see Murder, Mi Amore because of the Italian setting and the suspense. I can see a handsome Italian actor with an accent to die for playing Dominic.

I guess if I have to choose one it would be Cursed Mates. Maine, evil, witches, demons, werewolves. I can see Angelina Jolie playing Kyla. I pictured Jolie as I was writing Kyla. My Kyla is tough and kick-ass, but she’s also very vulnerable. And for the hero, Nick, he’d have to be someone very tortured and dark. I love Keanu Reeves and I can see him as Nick.

What is your favorite pizza toppings?

Banana peppers.

Which do you prefer:Mac or PC? 

PC. I don’t know anything about Mac.

What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done to one of your characters?

I killed off a beloved character in my werewolf paranormal, but I can’t say more than that.

Which of your books contains the sexiest love scene? (if you have one that is J)

I think they’re all sexy. Here are some of my favorites: the love scene under the Christmas tree in my 2007 romantic suspense release, Logan’s Redemption, from The Wild Rose Press. That book is now available exclusively on Amazon Kindle. The scene in Murder, Mi Amore, where Lexie and Dominic decide to trust each other and make love the morning after they’ve fought off a kidnapper. The danger of the night before gives an edge to their lovemaking. And there’s the scene in Cursed Mates where Kyla ties Nick to the bed and does a sexy striptease for him.

Which of your covers is your favorite?

It’s too hard to choose. I love them all in different ways. The Wild Rose Press artist captured the flavor and mystery of Italy with the cover for Murder, Mi Amore. Lexie and Dominic are on the cover with Trevi Fountain in the background. The cover for Cursed Mates is mysterious and dark, like the book, with a hunky guy who looks like my Nick, and his alter ego, a wolf. I also love my new Kindle cover for Logan’s Redemption. The guy on the cover looks exactly like my Logan. I could look at him all day.

Which of your books was the easiest to write? 

Murder, Mi Amore and Logan’s Redemption. The words just flowed. Also my very first published book, A Catered Affair, from Avalon Books. Cursed Mates started as a light paranormal, but it got darker and darker until I found myself in a very dark, dangerous place. And I found I loved the dark.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Writing the first draft is torture. I prefer to revise.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

A Catered Affair, a traditional romance, was written under my real name, Carolyn Matkowsky. I always wanted to write under my own name. But I soon learned readers had a hard time with the name. In 2003, I was nominated as an up and coming author by readers of Affaire de Coeur Magazine. I was thrilled with the nomination, but disappointed that my name was misspelled in the magazine. I decided I needed a simpler name. I chose Cara Marsi. Cara is a shortened version of Carolyn, and Marsi is the name of an important Italian tribe from the Abruzzo region of Italy, where all four of my grandparents were raised.

Where can readers find you on the ‘net for more information on you, your books and other fun stuff?

I love to hear from readers. You can contact me through my website:

I’m also on Twitter and Facebook:


I made video trailers for Murder, Mi Amore and Cursed Mates. You can view them here:


Here’s the buy link for Murder, Mi Amore:


Here’s the buy link for Cursed Mates:



The buy link for Logan’s Redemption:



Thanks, Dawn, for having me.

***~~~***


Sneak Peek into Murder Mi Amor
Available at The Wild Rose Press HERE

Jewels of the Night Series Lexie Cortese is in Rome to forget. The last thing she expects is to meet a sexy Interpol agent who suspects her of being part of a terrorist plot involving a stolen diamond. Suddenly thrust into a world of murders, muggings, and kidnappings, Lexie doesn’t know what to think—or who to believe.
Dominic Brioni’s assignment is simple. Befriend the American and bring her to justice. Only Lexie seems like the most unlikely terrorist Dominic has ever met. Sweet, determined, and direct, she faces life with courage and fire, a fire that sparks his protective instincts and a longing for something more—something he allowed himself to hope for only once before.
But that woman betrayed him, and his boss isn’t about to let him forget it. With his career on the line and Lexie in danger, will Dominic learn to trust his heart before they both get killed?

Excerpt:

            Lexie had started to run to him when someone grabbed her arm, pulling her around. A man, his face hidden by a ski mask, held tightly to her. Her shock ratcheted to fear. “Let go,” she yelled, trying to jerk her arm away from him, but his grip tightened. The dim light from the balcony above illuminated his flat black eyes. She had seen those eyes before. Holy shit. She was in trouble. The masked man grabbed for her purse. She screamed, and with strength she didn’t know she possessed, whammed him on the head with her purse. He staggered back, swearing, and slipped and fell. Lights and freedom beckoned from the nearby Via Corsi, but all Lexie could think about was Dominic. Turning on her heels, she ran to him, slipping on the ancient stones herself as Dominic struggled to stand. But before she could reach him, the mugger caught up with her and grabbed her shoulder, twisting her around. Dominic sprang up and flew at the mugger, knocking him to the ground. The two men grappled, rolling together on the cobbled street. Lexie, her heart thumping wildly, looked for an opening to bean the mugger again, to give Dominic a better chance at overcoming him.
            “Stop it! Stop it! Leave him alone!” The mugger ended up on top, and she whaled away with her bag, getting in any shot she could.
            Shouts and the slap of running feet vibrated through the alley. The mugger swore, jumped up, and raced away, a few men giving chase. Several others helped Dominic to stand, yelling in excited voices, and gesturing toward where their attacker had disappeared.
            Dominic winced in pain. Lexie looked down at his ripped, blood-soaked pant leg. “Dominic, you’ve got to get to the hospital. You’re bleeding.”
            “I’m okay,” he said. “It is nothing.” Brushing dirt off his jacket, he turned to the men and said something in rapid Italian. With nods, they strode away.
            Breathing heavily, Lexie disagreed. “You’re not okay. We’ll get a cab and take you to the hospital.”
            He cupped her shoulders. “I’ve been through worse. I’m fine. Are you okay? Did he hurt you?”
            “No. I’m…” The full impact of what had happened hit her. The adrenaline that had given her strength suddenly dissipated and she began to tremble. “I’m not okay.”
            “Lexie.” Dominic moved forward to take her into his arms. She held on for dear life, needing his strength. He rubbed his hand along her back. “It’s okay, Lexie. We’re both okay.  You’re safe with me.”
            She clung to him. It wasn’t her imagination. Strange things were happening. She had nothing anyone could want. She didn’t know who to trust. Dominic said she was safe with him. But was she really?



12 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

Thank you for having me here today. Thanks for showing my three book covers. Logan's Redemption is available exclusively at Amazon Kindle for 99 cents. I enjoyed the interview. Thanks again.

Sandra Edwards said...

Cara,

All your books are so wonderful. Wishing you tons of success with them :-)

Sandy

Cara Marsi said...

Sandy

Thank you for posting and for your kind words about my books.

vikkibakus said...

Oh yeah, Keanu works :)

sue fineman said...

Lovely interview, interesting and enlightening. I already have Cursed Mates and Murder, Mi Amore on my to-buy list.

Cara Marsi said...

Thank you, Vikki and Sue. And Vikki, Keanu works for me on so many levels. Sue, thanks for your support and your help with Murder, Mi Amore.

Autumn Jordon said...

Cara, I'm on my way to Amazon. Murder, Mi Amore sounds like a must read. Congrats on your releases.

P.L. Parker said...

Great Post - and all your books look great. I did read Logan's Redemption and enjoyed it so much so I'll have to check out the new ones. The werewolf story most certainly is on my to read list.

J K Maze said...

How fascinating that a contest about a blue diamond triggered Murder, Mi Amore, and how wonderful. I'm intrigued by your characters and the story.

Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara,
Murder Mi Amore sounds delish as does Cursed Mates. Which genre do you like writing in better? What are you working on now?

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Cara,
My goodness you have been busy.Murder Mi Amore, sounds like a great read, best of luck with all your projects

regards

Margaret

Cara Marsi said...

Thank you all for posting. I hope you enjoy reading Murder, Mi Amore and Cursed Mates as much as I enjoyed writing them. Kim, thanks for the question. I've recently completed a sweet romance novella. After the darkeness of the last two books, I needed to go into the light for a while. Not to say that the sweet story doesn't have its share of conflict.

Tour Stop/Giveaway: Legacy of the Witch

  Discover the newest book by author Kirsten Weiss, Legacy of the Witch, today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the author i...