Sunday, October 24, 2010

Talking about 'Out of this World Writing' With Author Victoria Blisse

Out of this World writing.

No, I’m not tooting my own trumpet on this occasion, I’m going to blog today about how I have enjoyed writing paranormal characters. It is the time of year for it afterall! 

Firstly, thanks to Dawn, for hosting me today and secondly I’ll introduce myself a little. I’m Victoria Blisse, I live near Manchester in the UK and I’ve been writing erotic romance for the past ten years. I love to cook and especially enjoy baking, I sing in my church choir and I have a thing for owls. My house is starting to look like a cute, cuddly owl sanctuary!
To find out more about me check out my website 
http://www.victoriablisse.co.uk and if you’re on facebook and twitter look me up I’m victoriablisse on both sites. 

Now recently I’ve found a soft spot for characters that are traditionally portrayed as the bad guys. I started with a werewolf. I must say, for a writer who is mostly accustomed to writing sweet but hot romances it came to me as quite a surprise when my new character was a werewolf. I tried really hard to ignore him. I didn’t know where to start writing a paranormal story but Lowell, bless him, was persistent. So Moon Shy was born. 

It took a lot of planning but Moon Shy did come together and I thoroughly enjoyed writing about my reluctant werewolf and his struggles with himself, his love affair with Jenny and the rivalry with Desdemona, the evil werewolf. When I finished with Lowell, I knew that he wouldn’t be my last paranormal character. 

Next, I picked a vampire. My inspiration came from the beautiful but stark Yorkshire moors as I traveled across them by bus to Whitby. Bram Stoker was inspired in Whitby to write Dracula and so it seemed serendipitous that the inspiration for my vampire came from the same part of the world. 

The wonderful fun of being an author is that you can twist things any way you like. When you’re writing a contemporary story you’re tied down by many constraints which just aren’t there when you start involving fantastical characters.  Although when you pick a classic monster, like a vampire you have certain rules that come with them and you have to choose which to keep and which to break.  You could break all the rules but then how will people know your vampire is a vampire? 

For me, I had to find a convincing way for my vampires to get the blood that they need to survive without killing people. I’m a nice girl at heart and don’t want to be cleaning up dead bodies left right and center. So it came to me in a flash of inspiration that my vamp could discover that blood taken when the human having an orgasm is more satisfying than if the human is petrified. So the ten second rule was born.  Hugh, my first Vampire from The Point, would take blood from a human who was orgasming for ten seconds then pull away. He would get the sustenance he needed and the human would stay alive. Brilliant. 

The Point was born as a place for this to happen. It’s a trendy bar and nightclub with a VIP area and assorted bedrooms behind the scenes for vamps and humans to interact. All of my Point Vamp books have a connection to The Point which I thank my husband for as he came up with the name. It came to him in a dream, funnily enough. 

So I enjoyed writing my vampire so much I decided to do another one and Stopping Point, the second book in the Point Vamp series is out now. Whereas  Hugh was an older, more experienced vamp, Josh doesn’t even realise he is a vampire at first. He has to learn everything from scratch from his sire, Cara who is somewhat flaky shall we say and flits in and out of his life with little notice. 

And I’ve written a couple of short stories involving my favorite creatures of the night too. You can find To Comfort a Vampire at Total-E-Bound and that is a free story for you to download. Also my story First Time Fang Bang which is in the Just One Bite contest at All Romance Ebooks currently is a hot threesome story featuring two exotic vampires and one not so innocent human. If you pop over there you can read it in pair three and I am appreciative of any and all votes, thank you!
And now? Well now I’m looking at writing Point Vamp Book three which I already have a tentative idea of. Talking of which I better get on with it. An author’s word count is never high enough, I can tell you. There’s always more to write. 

So what do you like to see in a vampire tale? Do you like the traditional evil monster or the vampires with souls which are developing these days?  What would you like to see more or less of in vampire stories? I look forward to reading your opinions on the matter.


Starting Point
Victoria Blisse
Total E-Bound Publishing
Buy HERE

Book two in the Point Vamp Series

Josh is a vampire he just doesn't quite know it yet.

He is confused and his voluptuous sire, Cara is far too busy being mysterious to really help him unlock the secrets of his Afterlife. However, he pieces it together by himself and decides to turn his best mates into Vampires too. This doesn't quite go to plan but he does discover The Point and its unique, ten-second rule.

Cara does not approve of Josh visiting The Point but that night she turns up at his door bloodied and much more dead than usual, and accepts Josh's help to escape from her much older and much crazier Sire Leopold. How is Josh going to defeat an older, wiser and more powerful vampire? He hasn't a clue but for Cara he is willing to find out.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for popping by. I read Moonshy and loved it. I haven't tried your Vampire Point stories yet. Just might have to check them out. They sound great. :)

Thanks again.

Dawn

Unknown said...

Vampires have always held a fascination - even Bram Stoker's Dracula was kinda sexy... So they can be both cruel and sexy.
I love the quote for your next title - he's a vampire but he doesn't know it yet. That's a great hook.

Sue

Victoria Blisse said...

Hi Dawn, I'm glad you enjoyed Moon Shy, I thoroughly loved writing it! If you check out Point Vamp please let me know what you think of them. I love feedback. :)

Thanks for having me here!

Sue, I know what you mean, vampires do cruel and sexy very well. I'm quite proud of the Stopping Point Hook, I must have been having an inspired moment at the time! :)

Jerome Samson said...

Being a vampire has certain limitations, but it can also be a ton of fun. Your extra strengths and abilities can make you successful in almost every endeavor you participate in and before you know it the money and acquaintances will come streaming in. You can build wealth and gain prestige and notoriety and attempt things you may never have even considered as a human. One thing you will definitely have more of is time. Beef up your education and learn all you every wanted to. Travel the world to see things most people only ever see on TV This is going to be especially fun if you turned to share your life with one of us. Let us show you the wonders of the world. Learn new languages, go skydiving or scuba dive with sharks, visit the African safari. You no longer need to be scared of nature or wildlife – you will have become the worlds strongest predator. Have fun with it and your life as a vampire can be more fulfilling than you ever dreamed. Explore, experiment, experience and get excited. There’s a big world out there with lots to see and do and as a vampire, you can do it all. If your dream is to become a powerful person in life contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

Discover Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash

  Cursed Wolf by Sophie Ash (Howling Death MC) Publication date: March 29th 2024 Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance   Synopsis: If the...