Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Getting to know author J. L. Oiler


 Can you tell us a little about how you started writing; was it something you have always wanted to do?

I have always had a great love for reading and it was a natural thing to write.  I can remember creating these elaborate tales in my head to share with family and friends. When I was about 12 I began putting them down on paper. 

Who or what has been your biggest influence as a writer?

My biggest influence as a writer has been life itself, there isn’t any part of my life past or present that has not managed to worm its way into my writing.  I guess I have a very inspirational muse.

Your work is very popular with readers and reviewers; how does it feel to have such positive recognition for your work? 

It all still feels surreal.  When I received the first proof copy of Blood Dance I must have ran my hands over the pages and smelled the print a hundred times.  I feel really blessed for my current and future success. 

What do you consider to be the key elements of a great story?

I think a great story has to be able to pull the reader into the story.  I want to feel my pulse increase when the tension builds.  It should paint a vivid picture of who the characters are and the events that are occurring. 

Could you tell us a little about how you develop your characters? Who has been your favorite character to write? The most challenging? 

I can plan out all the physical aspects but in the end the characters tell me who they are and what they would do in a given situation.  My favorite character to write has been Ares (Blood Dance: Seeds of Oden Book 1) I love her fiery personality and attitude.  The most challenging character has to be Shala, from Eclipse of the Twin Moons.  It was difficult writing about and for a character who cannot speak. 

Please tell us about the projects you are currently working on; what can readers expect to see in the coming months?

I just finished a Christmas Anthology with Authors Ashlynn Monroe, BethAnn Buehler, Lila Munro, and Jessica Coulter Smith.  It is titled; All I Want for Christmas is Redemption. I also just finished the third book in the Seeds of Oden Series: Blood Denial.
My current WIP includes a story about a demon that comes to the human realm searching for a mate, and another about a researcher who finds out her boyfriend is something far from a normal human male.   

Where can readers find out what's new and how can they contact you?

Readers can find information at either of two sites; www.joiler.weebly.com which is my personal author site, or www.wickedmuses.webs.com which is the group site for Ashlynn, BethAnn, Lila, and myself.  If readers would like to send me an e-mail they can send it to: jloiler@live.com .  

 Do you feel your writing is character driven or plot driven? How do you balance these two elements?

I believe they are character driven and the main character shows me the direction of the plot, and sometimes the plot of any follow-up stories. 

 What is your favorite movie of all time? The one where you can watch it and still get affected at the same spots each and every time?
The Fifth Element with Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich. 

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 5 things would you have with you? 
My family, a box of romance books, a lighter, a fishing pole, and a knife

What is your favorite way to relax after a hard day working and writing?
A long hot bubble bath…auhhhh

What is the one era you would love to go visit and why?
1700’s  I would love to be able to take a look at our world before progress changed it so drastically. 

What is one historical figure you would love to chat with and why?
William Shakespeare,  I would love to know what he was thinking with some of his plays and what was the inspiration. 
Out of all your books, do you have a favorite one? If not, then which one is closest to your heart?
I don’t have a favorite, but All I Want for Christmas is Redemption is closest to my heart.  It was such a unique and bonding experience for all involved.  It was such a journey to make each story blend completely with the others that I believe it allowed each of us to grow as writers.  It also allowed me to find some amazing friends.
If you could have been the servant to any famous person in history, who would that be and why?

Bram Stoker.  I would love to see all the mayhem that went on behind scenes when he wrote Dracula. 

What so you see for the future of publishing and ebooks?

There has been such an influx of e-publishers coming out that I think we will probably see a flood of new authors and stories. Unfortunately that also means there will be quite a few that don’t survive. 

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

Sol (Blood Dawn: Seeds of Oden Book 2) she is strong, self assured and not afraid to kick some ass to protect what’s right.

Do you get along with your muse? What do you do to placate her/it when she/it refuses to inspire you?

I love my muse though she has been known to jump ship and go out partying with her muse friends.  If I need her inspiration I like to sit out on the front porch and stare up into the night, it’s even better if it is raining.

What is the most ridiculous thing that you have thought about doing to any of your characters but never did?

I considered giving one pink hair and some rather questionable piercings. I just did not know what to write about the sensations she would have with them.

If you were a world ruler and you were given a choice of 3 laws to enact, what would they be?
Love, Read, and Respect


 Sneak peek into Blood Dance:

Leaning down she reached for the small shot glass her hand trembling slightly. Just as her fingers gazed the smooth lip he pulled it away and motioned for her to come down to him.
“Come down from there and it is yours,” he called loudly over the pounding music.
She stood slowly eyeing him with a glower of distrust.
“No,” she shouted as she jumped down to the floor on the opposite side of her silvery cage and stared at him through the strong metal bars that separated them.
“You are not hungry little one?” he asked leaning on the rails and holding the glass toward her.
“And what is it you want in return?” she questioned as she watched the liquid splash in the
small container, hunger obvious in her eyes. Kaden smiled and ran his tongue along his thin pale lips longing to taste and touch her supple body. “I thought so,” Ares said before he could compose a clever response.
“It seems a fair trade. You get what you need and I, I get what I need.” He began to move around the raised cage toward her, each motion slow and steady. “You know you need to feed. Make this easy for both of us,” Kaden continued as she watched him move toward her, his golden eyes raking over her with every step.
Reaching out, he ran a lock of her hair through his callused fingers, marveling in its softness. “You are so very beautiful, so incredibly sexy.” Leaning forward he brushed his lips against hers in a feathery kiss. She stepped away, the battle raging in her head and heart playing across her face. Turning fast, she left him standing there on the dance floor as she retreated toward the rear office. “There is no sense running away. You will come to me Ares. We both know this,” he called after her as he downed the shot of strong liquor.



1 comment:

BethAnn said...

Great job J.L. You and your work are simply the BEST! Much success wicked sister--you deserve it!

New Release Spotlight: The Good Ones are Taken

  THE GOOD ONES ARE TAKEN Author: Taj McCoy ISBN: 9780778305422 Publication Date: Publisher: MIRA 18.99 US | 23.99 CAN   When Magg...