Thursday, March 17, 2016

Guest Author Day with Rae Rivers

Thanks for stopping by to talk a little about your writing! Let's jump right in. When did you begin writing and why?

Thank you for having me!  I’ve always loved reading and this eventually developed into a love of writing.  I started writing at the age of 12 years old but it was only years later that I actively started doing everything I could to improve my craft.  Storytelling is my passion and having readers read and enjoy my stories is a dream come true.

Do you have a favorite genre? Is it the same genre you prefer to write?

I read a variety of genres but romance is definitely a firm favorite – although it varies from paranormal, thrillers, suspense, contemporary etc.  As long as it’s well written with great dialogue, romance, a gripping plot and pace, I’m interested. 

Do certain themes and ideas tend to capture your writer’s imagination and fascinate you?

I’m always fascinated by the dynamics between men and women – which is probably why I enjoy romance so much.  I like the idea of an independent woman who is capable, strong and confident – but with a sense of vulnerability too.  It makes her real and relatable.  Added to the mix is a hero who isn’t threatened by either of these traits.  He sees her as his partner but is also fiercely protective of her.  It’s this theme that has been woven into my trilogy and it’s been a fun, interesting dynamic to work with.

What advantages or challenges does a writer in your genre face in today’s fiction market?

Advantages – there are so many writing opportunities for writers at the moment so it’s a wonderful time to be polishing your manuscript and searching for ways to publish it.  Also, the power of the internet and social media connects us to the rest of the world – readers, bloggers, authors, publishers … it’s fantastic.
Challenges – wow, there are many!  The market is flooded with so many books, online articles, etc – that it’s hard to keep up or stand out.  Time is always a challenge too as being active online and tending to all the admin that comes with writing often eats away at valuable writing time. 

What's on the top of your TBR pile right now?

To be honest, my TBR pile is bigger than me but now that my Keepers trilogy is complete, I can’t wait to get stuck into more reading.  I’ve just started Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes.    

Tell me a little about the characters in The Keepers: Ethan.

As this book is the final book in the trilogy, there are many familiar characters that we meet again.  We have the two witches that appeared in previous books as well as the three Bennett brothers – the Keepers.  They have enhanced physical skills as well as magical elemental powers and were born to protect a very powerful, modern day witch.  But we also meet a fourth Keeper – a woman.  Jenna’s feisty, strong and powerful and a perfect match for the youngest brother, Ethan Bennett.  But she has a dark secret which makes her vulnerable too, one that threatens her relationships with Ethan and his brothers.  I loved writing her character and enjoyed playing around with her abilities as a female Keeper.  That was a refreshing change to my previous heroines who are witches.   And of course, the attraction between Jenna and Ethan is sizzling!

Where’s the story set? How much influence did the setting have on the atmosphere/characters/development of the story?

Part of the story is set in a fictional town called Rapid Falls in Canada.  It appears frequently throughout the series and my readers love revisiting the town as it’s familiar – and it’s home for my characters.  In The Keepers:  Ethan, I introduced a completely new concept which I hadn’t initially anticipated – a fictional alternative world to ours.  It was a bold move as I’d never attempted this before but after writing the book with three different settings which weren’t working, I eventually went with a reader’s suggestion and created a new world.  It’s dark and gritty and perfect for what my characters needed.  So thanks to my lovely readers for helping me with this.  I think the new concept worked well and hope they agree.

How often does your muse distract you from day to day minutiae?

Ideas, thoughts and inspiration often strike at the oddest times.  When actively writing a book, the story is never far from mind and I’m always pondering, plotting and planning.  So sadly, I’m usually always distracted!

What do readers have to look forward to in the future from you?

Definitely more stories!  I’m in the process of developing another exciting plot and can’t wait to get started. 



"Going to Ameera to find Hazel.  Stealing the spell ... You think you can pull it off?" he asked.
She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.
Just as she thought he'd kiss her, he reached for her jacket and said, "Then let's go."

A portal to another world has opened, unleashing dangerous creatures on earth.  A dark witch is out for revenge.  The stakes are high, a war inevitable. 

One person can stop the madness.  Jenna.  She’s a Keeper to a powerful hybrid witch but she harbors a secret and if Jenna steps through the portal – seduced by the whispers of her hidden past - she may never return.

Fortunately, she has company ... infamous Bennett brother and fiercely protective Keeper, Ethan. Their whip-cracking banter makes them perfect sparring partners in training, but how will they manage when their lives and everything they were born to defend are on the line?

When the battle lines are drawn, will Jenna and Ethan stand side by side – as friends, protectors, lovers … or as traitors?

Buy at:
http://hyperurl.co/TheKeepersEthan




Meet the Author

Rae’s an avid reader and writer with a passion for writing spicy romance novels. She lives in Cape Town, South Africa, with her gorgeous children and husband and a zoo of house pets.
Besides writing, she loves family time, the outdoors, travelling, watching TV series, reading and
chocolate. For more information about her books, please visit www.raerivers.com

She loves to hear from her readers and can be found here:




No comments:

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa

  Check out Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the author is giving one lucky perso...