Friday, December 13, 2013

Welcome MJ O'Shea today

Getting to know M.J. O'Shea....

When you're not writing, what do you like to do to just kick back and have fun?
I love to dance! A lot… embarrassingly a lot. I dance, play the piano, read, paint, go out with friends and family. I probably have too many distractions:)

Do you ever experience writer's block? If you do, how do you cope with it?
I do, and it's hard to get over when it hits. Sometimes I just have to force myself to write. I usually end up going back and redoing the forced sections because they're not right, but at least it gets the ball rolling again.

Were you an avid reader as a child? What type of books did you enjoy reading?
Oh, I was! As a super little kid, I loved all the typical kid books, picture books, Bernstein Bears, you name it... When I got older, I was really into David Eddings and Neil Gaiman. Stardust remains one of my all time favorite books. I'll read pretty much anything though! As long as I can get into the story, I'm happy.

Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.
This book is light and fun. I've always meant to write a book with teachers as the main characters, since that was my job before I started writing. I also wanted to give my two main characters a bit of a painful past and then stick them somewhere they have a hard time getting away from each other. What better than the same hall of a school building on a team together?

Did your book require a lot of research?
Three years! Just kidding… haha. I set this book in a school, and a lot of it is not only the romance, but the relationship between a bunch of teachers who are good friends. I taught for three years after college (and coached girls' soccer!) and I based a few of my characters on friends I had in that school.

If you could have any vice without repercussions, what would it be?
Haha I don't think I should answer this one!! I'd suppose it would be unlimited desserts, especially macarons. I have a huge weakness for those.

What is the most ridiculous thing that you have thought about doing to any of your characters but never did?
Hmmm define ridiculous:) I'd have to say no. Typically, if I like an idea I use it! I'm sure I've had a few ideas that turned out to be too dumb to use and I canned them but they flew out of my mind the second I decided against them.

You get to ask a fictional character out on a date—who would you ask and what would you do together?
Easy. Either Fred or George Weasley:) And as far as what we would do? Probably get into a lot of trouble. I think they'd be massive fun though!

How much does reader reaction mean to you as an author? Do you read your own reviews?
Oh, it means the world if readers like my stories. Obviously because if they don't like one, they're not as likely to read my next book, but mostly because the whole point of what I do is to make people happy. I'm realistic, and I know there's no book that everyone loves, but if I've made just a few people happy that's good for me:)


I don't read reviews unless the reviewer has brought it to my attention. As far as Goodreads goes, I think that site is there for the readers and they should be able to talk about me and my books at will without wondering if I'm sitting here plotting revenge for bad reviews (which I'd never do, that was just a joke!) so I stay away altogether. Professional/blog reviews I'll read if I'm linked to them, but I don't go out searching for them. 


Newton’s Law of Attraction By MJ O’Shea
Publisher Dreamspinner Press
Genre M/M Contemporary         
Release Date 11/27/13
Available at Publisher


Rory was Ben's oldest and best friend until senior year of high school, when they confessed they'd harbored feelings for each other all along. They enjoyed only a few months of happiness until Ben chose closeted popularity over true love… and he's regretted it ever since.

Eight years later, Ben is out and proud and teaching art at the same high school he graduated from. When he learns the chemistry teacher is retiring, he's excited to meet her replacement until he finds out the brand new teacher is none other than Rory Newton—the first love he's never quite gotten over. Despite a painfully awkward start, it doesn't take Ben long to realize he'll do whatever it takes to win Rory back. But it's starting to look like even his best might not be enough

Tour Schedule

12/4/2013 JP Barnaby
12/9/2013 Its Raining Men
12/11/2013 Wordsmith Wednesday
12/16/2013 Iyana’s Rainbow


No comments:

Book Spotlight/Giveaway: Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa

  Check out Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa today and make sure to enter the tour wide giveaway as the author is giving one lucky perso...