Sunday, December 1, 2013

Welcome A.E. Lawless today

Please give a warm welcome to author A.E. Lawless, a new to me author, who is joining us today. From what I have seen, this latest book is one to read, looks really good. So without further adieu, take it away A.E. Lawless....

To get us started can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out?

I’ve got four stories in various stages of completion and production right now. The first is a kinky little holiday short story about a pair of best friends who are currently in a non-sexual D/s relationship and one of them wants to take the relationship to the next level.

The second is a story about a Dom that has a reputation around his local BDSM club for being able to figure out what any sub needs in a scene. He also has a reputation for not connecting with any of them and sending them on their merry way when he’s done with them. Most of them take the chance just to figure out what kind of Dom they need, and some of them end up too attached to him, need what he offers too much. Some of them end up thinking he’s the biggest asshole ever for walking away from them. All of them end up hating him. None of them are ever what he needs. Then, along comes a sub who’s damaged after being collared for over two years and then tossed aside by his Dom for a younger, prettier face. He’s very confused about what he needs now and he wants help in figuring it out. Turns out what he needs is a whole lot of service submission and to belong to someone completely.

The third is a sequel to A Perfect Solution. It’s River and Jeff’s bandmate, Scotty’s, story. There’s a whole lot of confusion, some public sex and some cross-dressing.

The last is an arranged marriage polyamory story.

How would you describe yourself using only five words?

Creative, contradictory, empathetic, loyal, and kinky

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Terrible reality tv. It’s horrible, but when I feel like crap, watching other people fail miserably at life makes me happy.

Where do you find the inspirations for your stories?

Usually, the general premise comes from reading bad BDSM fiction or watching BDSM culture be portrayed negatively in tv shows or movies. It bothers me when I see the culture grossly misrepresented or in a really stereotypical way. It makes me want to write stories that prove all of those misconceptions wrong.

When you begin your stories, do you go with the flow, or go with an outline?

I outline extensively. I have no problem with changing my outline once I start writing, but I never start writing unless I know where I’m trying to go when I start.

Is music a factor for you while you are writing? Do certain songs put you in the right frame of mind to write certain stories?

Yes. Part of my planning process is coming up with a playlist for the story. I listen to it pretty much on repeat while I’m writing. I also have a playlist for writing sex scenes that pretty much stays the same for every project. It’s got stuff on it from the Deftones, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, 3 Inches of Blood, and Scar Symmetry among others.

What do you feel is the most important thing that a first-time author should know? 

That for the publishing company, publishing your book is not about sharing your story with the world, it’s about making money. Publishing is a business and the publishing houses are only going to publish what makes them money, i.e. what’s sold well in the past. Each house is looking for specific things, and I don’t care how well written, how inspirational and moving, how funny, or how dynamic your characters are, if the story doesn’t have what they’re looking for, they will reject it. And then, when you do get that magical acceptance letter, sever all emotional ties to your work, because once you sign that contract, the editor is going to gut your story. They’re going to ask you to change names, cut entire scenes, rework characterizations, cut backstory, anything and everything is subject to the knife. But this is the key: DO IT! I know it hurts at first and it’s a hard pill to swallow, but I guarantee your story will come out the other side better than you ever hoped it could be.

When and where do you like to write? Are there any favourite places you like to go?

I don’t really care when, but as far as where, there was a closed in shed behind my house when we moved in that I converted into a studio. All of my writing and painting gets done there.

If a movie or TV production company chose to produce your books into a series of shows or movies, who would your ideal cast be?

For A Perfect Solution I’d love to see Mark Salling as Jeff, Anton Yelchin as River, Ryan Gosling as Scotty, Josh Todd as Brent and Jared Padaleki as Josh

What is the best trick to overcome writer's block?

To not get it at all! I don’t get writer’s block once I start writing and that’s because I’ve developed a really effective writing method and I plan my stories meticulously before I ever get started. I also keep my creative brain working constantly on not just my current novel, but lots of other types of writing. I do a lot of stream of consciousness exercises, I also do writing exercises with prompts or time or word limits, and I like to write a lot of non-fiction as well. I think those things stretch different writing muscles than my “profitable” work does.


 A Perfect Solution by A.E. Lawless
m/m BDSM 
Loose Id

River is the charismatic lead singer of Caged Hearts and it's an open secret that the vibrant energy he displays on stage doesn't bleed away as soon as he's out from under the lights. That sometimes causes considerable friction with his bandmates.

Jeff is the guitarist for Caged Hearts, but he's not your typical party-hard rockstar. He's far more focused on taking care of everyone in his band--especially River.

An offhand comment from Jeff inadvertently helps River discover his submissive side, and he asks Jeff to help him continue to explore those desires. While Jeff is turned on by the idea, he's also reluctant. There's no telling what it could do to the band and his friendship with River. Especially when Jeff wants so much more than just sex.

Buy Links:

  
Excerpt:

Maybe it should have concerned Jeff just a little at how vindicated he felt looking at the River-shaped heap on the floor, but then again, he was really feeling too ground down to care. Smirking, Jeff pointed toward the clock on the bedside table. “Because it’s late and I’m trying to sleep and you think it’s perfectly acceptable to sing terrible pop songs and jump on my bed and just generally be a nuisance and keep me awake at this godforsaken hour.”
Genuinely frowning now, River climbed up on the bed again, sitting on the edge cautiously. Exhaling softly, he mumbled hurriedly and tugged nervously on one of the dark curls brushing his shoulder. “I’m just really having trouble winding down from the show.” The manic energy that had been clinging to him all night seemed to bleed away marginally, and he looked just as run-down and weary as Jeff felt.
Jeff rubbed a hand over his face; he knew that—they all did. River had always had trouble winding down after performing even when it was just a basement show at a friend’s house party in front of a few dozen people. Normally Jeff was really sympathetic and didn’t mind River’s particular brand of crazy, but normally he didn’t feel like he could fall asleep standing up in the middle of a sentence either. Jeff liked taking care of the rest of his band, liked being there for them, and he honestly wanted to help River wind down. But exhaustion was dragging at Jeff, making his brain sluggish and slow. He wasn’t really thinking his words through properly, especially in the face of River’s genuine distress, making him spit out the first thing that came to mind. “I get that, I really do, but God, why can’t you just be normal and jerk off to relax like the rest of us?”
Perking up, River leaned forward like that was the most fascinating idea he’d ever heard, a thread of excitement in his voice. “Is that what you do?”
Shooting River a pointed look, Jeff climbed back under the covers and arranged his pillow the way he wanted. “Yeah, you know coming makes most guys pass right out.” Jeff hoped he took the hint and decided to try it himself and leave Jeff alone.
River bounced on the bed and frowned. He looked down at his crotch like it had disappointed him somehow. His voice plaintive, River whispered, “I don’t really want to right now, though.” How he could pout and whisper at the same time was a mystery of science.
Jeff punched River in the thigh and growled again. This conversation had gone so beyond the threshold of weird and into another realm altogether, and Jeff was half-delirious anyway. Somehow it was easy to grind out, “Jesus, River, just go jerk off in the bathroom and leave me alone.”
Face pale, eyes wide, and body tense, River looked stricken now. He stared at Jeff, and a strangled “What?” sounded like it barely escaped his throat.
Strung out and desperate, Jeff infused as much authority into his voice as he could. Telling one of his bandmates to go jerk off in the next room wasn’t really what Jeff normally considered acceptable behavior, but he was committed to the idea now. “Go. Jerk. Off. Now.”


 Connect with the Author at:

No comments:

New Release Spotlight: Kelli A. Wilkins' A Thousand Summer Secrets

  Hi everyone! I’m pleased to announce the release of my fourth gay romance, A Thousand Summer Secrets . This tender contemporary romanc...