Thursday, August 30, 2012

Welcome Kay Jabee today/Virtual Book Tour Stop


Welcome to my Reading Nook, Kay Jabee. Please make yourself at home and let my cabana boys/girls get you a drink.

Comfortable? Wonderful. Now let’s get started.

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both? 
I am a very unstructured writer- so yes; it’s a case of flying by the seat of my pants and hanging on for the ride!
Obviously most publishers like some kind of outline or chapter plan so they know what they are letting themselves in for, but I keep these very loose. I like to be as surprised by what happens next as my readers (hopefully) are.
I usually have a rough idea how my novels will end- but not always! I have written to a strict chapter plan before, and I found the whole process very inhibiting. I got paranoid about keeping to the predetermined plot- never again!

What did you do before you were a writer? Do you write full time? 
I started writing back in 2007, and before then I did all manner of jobs. Originally I trained to be an archaeologist- which I loved- and then I took my PhD and became something of an expert in the Medieval English crime rate!
Since that time I have done all manner of jobs to fit in with first my children, and then my writing- I’ve helped manage a newsagents, made Welsh hats for the tourist trade, sold cheese, and been a business assistant for a well known conference supplier. Now my main job is being a writer, although I do have a part time admin post which keeps the money coming in between the royalties.

If you were going to cast the hero(s) of your book, what actor would get the part? 
Oh, that’s a hard question! The Voyeur has three lead characters, Mark (the voyeur in question), Anya, his PA and willing slave, and Clara, his Housekeeper and other willing slave. Off the top of my head I would say Clive Owen as Mark (he can so pull off the smooth and yet rugged thing!), Zoe Tapper as Anya, and someone blonde as Clara- no idea who!!

I know you're not supposed to show favoritism but who's been your favorite character to write? 
In The Voyeur, my favourite character to write about was Anya. She goes through so much bless her; from her first meeting with Mark in the antiquated Bridge’s Gentleman’s Club, through to the most challenging of all of the thirteen fantasies Mark desires his staff to perform. I just loved seeing how I could make Anya, the more outspoken of the two women, cope with what her chosen life threw at her.

Do you have a favorite TV show you can't miss? 
I very rarely watch the TV, but an exception has to be made for the modern BBC version of Sherlock Holmes, and Doctor Who (past or present)- can’t miss those!

If you could date any character from any book, who would it be and why-no it doesn't have to be from your books?
It has to be Robin Hood- always did love a bad boy with a kind streak- and there can’t be a Robin Hood tale I haven’t read!
From my books it would have to be John from Not Her Type; Erotic Adventures of a Delivery Man (OCPress) - unreliable, but hot- the ultimate bad boy!!!


Please share with us some juicy details about your latest release. 

Blurb-
Wealthy business man and committed voyeur, Mark Parker, has a list of thirteen fantasies he is intent on turning into reality. Travelling between his London flat, his plush Oxfordshire mansion, and Discreet, his favourite S&M club; Mark is helped to realise his imaginatively dark erotic desires by two loyal members of his staff. His Personal Assistant, Anya Grant, and his Housekeeper, Clara Hooper.

Upon the backs of his willing slaves, Mark has written out his fantasy list in thick red pen. Only Fantasy 12 awaits the tick of completion against their flesh before Mark’s ultimate fantasy – Fantasy 13- can take place.
But have the girls performed well enough to succeed in the final challenge? And what hold does the Bridge's Gentleman's Club, Anya's previous employer, have over Mark? A place Anya was only too delighted to escape from.

In order to find out, Mark’s girls are going to have to face some of the fantasies they thought they’d left behind them all over again; and while they do, Mark will watch...

The Voyeur is my second BDSM novel from the Xcite house. It, like its predecessor, The Perfect Submissive, is not for the faint hearted!
Set in four main locations- the mansion home of Mark Parker in Oxfordshire, his flat in London, Discreet (a very expensive BDSM club), and the stuffy and old fashioned Bridges Gentleman’s Club.
It is from each of these four basis that Mark orchestrates an imaginative list of thirteen fantasies for his willing slaves, Anya and Clara, to perform for him to watch- just to watch. If Mark begins to touch, then the girls know that all is not well.
As the novel opens, the girls are in the throes of completing fantasy 12. They can see the end in sight- but before long Mark announces that certain fantasies will need to be done again before he deems them strong enough to face his final dream- Fantasy 13!

EXTRACT-
His evening meal complete, Mark sat back, contentedly sipping his cup of strong black coffee. Pulling a small, battered notebook from his pocket, he read thoughtfully for a moment. His self-restraint, although immense, was beginning to run out. It was time for them to progress to the end of the list. Pressing the intercom button, Mark summoned his personal assistant, Anya, and his housekeeper, Clara, to the dining room.
The women arrived swiftly, both aware of the importance of not keeping Mark waiting. Standing on the opposite side of the highly polished dining room table, his employees braced themselves for the coming instructions.
‘I have decided that we will take a trip to Discreet this evening. We will turn our attention to the next fantasy on my list. Fantasy 12.’ Mark’s cool blue eyes deliberately weighed up the reaction of his staff as he delivered his news.
Discreet was the reason that Mark spent such a large proportion of his time in his London flat, rather than in his mini-mansion in Oxfordshire, where his software business was based. It was only at Discreet, the most exclusive of the city’s BDSM clubs, that his increasingly imaginative fantasies could be publically appreciated; most of which involved the observation of other people’s erotic aspirations. Mark Parker was the ultimate voyeur.
Trying hard not to exchange glances with her colleague, Anya could sense the stiffening of Clara’s body as they listened to their boss. She knew that Clara’s mind, like her own, would already be racing; madly trying to guess what Mark’s latest erotic scenario would involve. Having survived fantasies one to eleven, they already understood the nature of the challenges they were likely to experience during the evening that loomed ominously ahead.
‘Anya, you will be less delighted than Clara, perhaps, when I tell you that this trip is intended as a lesson for you; possibly a punishment.’
Forgetting herself for a second, the PA lifted her head and stared Mark squarely in the face.
His lips smiled; his eyes, however, did not. ‘You wonder why? Why, when you are forever questioning my instructions?’
‘But Mark, I …’ Anya stopped talking, aware that by asking why she was simply proving his point. She could feel her nipples hardening beneath her white shirt, as her employer continued to stare at her.
‘Oh my dear Anya, you may never question me out loud.’ Mark’s voice was velvety soft, yet the potential danger of disagreeing with him shone in his eyes. ‘But I know that you constantly query my actions by your reaction to them. Subconscious or not, it has to stop.’
Anya couldn’t believe it; she had always been so dutiful. The perfect assistant. The willing slave. How could Mark know she privately questioned her existence; her choice at being here with him and Clara, living this less than “ordinary” existence?
Clara was hovering uncomfortably next to Anya as Mark came closer. ‘Tonight,’ he said, pulling off Anya’s shirt and bra, exposing her luscious chest to the cool of the room, ‘you will both face a combination of experiences that together make up Fantasy 12. Won’t it be lovely to be able to tick another task from our list, girls?’
They didn’t answer; experience had taught them that nine times out of ten his questions were rhetorical.
Mark twisted the women round; removing Clara’s top as he did so, so he could see both his employees’ bare backs. There, in neat script, a permanent pen had been used to write “Fantasy 1”, “Fantasy 2” and so on, all the way down – the numbers following the length of their spines, finishing with the words “Fantasy 13”. The first 11 rows of black lettering had bright red ticks next to them.
‘Only two more tasks to go.’
This time the girls risked a fleeting glance at each other, exchanging a look of mutual blood-hammering exhilaration twinned with an erotic anticipation it would have been hypocritical to deny.
Mark, during his brief periods of leisure, had painstakingly detailed many lust-driven scenarios he wished to both direct and bring to life. He often wrote notes, accompanied by intricate diagrams of erotic, slightly disturbing, but ultimately satisfying fantasies, in a leather-bound journal that only he was allowed to read.
Anya and Clara knew that the final fantasy, when it came, would be both more difficult and different to anything they’d ever previous experienced. They feared it. They also longed for it. Mark was a clever man, for as each new task unfolded he pushed his faithful staff along with him, darkening their desires and needs closer and closer to his own. Making them as keen as he was to see how far they could go. To see how much they could physically take as they accompanied Mark on his journey of extreme sexual sightseeing.
A cold, clammy sheen of perspiration broke out on Anya’s face, arms, and breasts as Mark danced a finger across her skin. ‘You will both go to your room and change into the clothes I’ve placed upon your beds. You will remain there until I call you.’ Mark pointed to the door, and his employees headed to their small, twin-bedded room without a sound.
As she considered some of the things she and Clara had been required to do over the last six months, Anya privately reassured herself that the trepidation shooting down her spine was understandable and acceptable. It was also irrational, for she knew that Fantasy 12 might not only be tolerable, but enjoyable; and that just because the end of the list was in sight, it didn’t mean the night ahead would involve anything worse than she’d survived before. She could handle this. They both could – no problem.
Then Anya saw her outfit...

What was your inspiration behind this book? 
 I was inspired to write The Voyeur after watching a woman in a café, sat at the table opposite me, writing a list. She was very focused on her task, and I began to speculate what sort of list she might be writing. What if it wasn’t the usual shopping list? What if it was a list of far more interesting ideas? Before I knew it I was scribbling a fantasy list- a list that a voyeur might like to see performed in front of him…
In its original form The Voyeur was a two-part short story for the erotica web site www.oystersandchocoIate.com, called Fantasy 13. The first tale was called Anna’s Story, the next Clara’s Story. It was 4 years before I had the time to develop those two early tales into the novel I always intended to write- but I made it in the end!

What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for? 
I do wish Arianna Franklin would write the next in her Mistress of the Art of Death series- they are incredible- medieval mysteries that hook you from the beginning to the end.
I have also recently re-discovered the brilliant Nicci French duo, and am looking forward to finding time to read some more of their work.

Do you listen to music while you write? If so what are your favorites Artists and or albums?
I have different music play lists to listen to depending on what style of writing I am working on.
When I’m penning my usual BDSM heavy kink pieces, such as The Voyeur and The Perfect Submissive, I listen to Pulp, Dépêche Mode, Within Temptation etc- anything with excellent, but rather dark lyrics!
When I’m having a go at the lighter, more romantic stuff, I go with a calmer vibe- Snow Patrol, Adele or Dido, for example.

If you could go any place in the world and to any time period, what place time would you choose to visit?
I’d nip back in time to the East Midlands of England in the Fourteenth Century, just to see if the theories I came up with when I studied the period where correct! I would want to be hovering above it all invisibly though- a truly scary time, and not at all safe!!


What is your favorite super power and why do you want it?
I would like the ability to freeze people, then the kids that annoy the hell out of me screaming their heads off while playing outside my house might be stopped in their tracks for a while!! Okay- I wouldn’t really do it- but the thought appeals to my darker side!
Actually- if it was possible, I’d like to have an anti-thoughtlessness gun- the world would be a lot nicer if we all considered each other’s feelings.


If you could write a warning label for yourself as a person or an author, what would it say? 
‘Don’t listen to Kay Jaybee’s work on audio book while driving or operating heavy machinery!’  or ‘Not for the faint hearted- Kay Jaybee’s erotica is FULL ON BDSM!’

Do you have any guilty pleasures? 
Loads! The least of which is eating way too much chocolate…

Thanks for taking the time to be here today. I wish you many sales and wonderful reviews.

Thanks ever so much for inviting me along!! Kxx

Buy Links-

Bio- Kay Jaybee wrote the novels The Voyeur, The Perfect Submissive (Xcite 2012), and Not Her Type: Erotic Adventures With A Delivery Man (OCPress, 2011). She’s also written the anthologies Yes Ma’am (Xcite e-books, 2011), Quick Kink One and Quick Kink Two (Xcite e-books, 2010), and The Collector (Austin & Macauley, 2008). Kay has had over 60 short stories published by Cleis Press (inc. Best of Best Women’s Erotica 2, Best Women’s Erotica 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012; Best Bondage 2012, Sweet Love, Smooth, Gotta Have It, Sweet Confessions), Black Lace (Sexy Little Numbers), Mammoth (The Mammoth Book of Lesbian Erotica), Xcite (inc.Ultimate Sin, Boy Fun, Power Play, Threesomes, Finger Music), Penguin (Oysters and Chocolate; Erotic Stories of Every Flavor), Seal (Oysters and Chocolate; Nice Girls, Naughty Sex),and Sweetmeats Press (Immoral Views)
Find Kay at - www.kayjaybee.me.uk

3 comments:

Kay Jaybee said...

Thanks again for inviting me along today Dawn. Writing erotica is so much fun- and The Voyeur in particular was a blast to do ! xx

Anonymous said...

Kay,
I saw the e-mail when I first hit this page and commented to Lynda about a shared experience. Then I went a little lower and found you. I told Lynda I must be at the wrong blog because I was looking for a BDSM book (not a kind thing to do to another author). I found you, enjoyed your interview and the Voyuer's excerpt. Suzanne

June M. said...

I will have to check out Ms Jabee's books. She is a new to me author, but this book sounds really interesting. Thanks so much for the interview & excerpt

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...